So how tough is the Tiny Monster??

gatorgrabber

Newly Enlightened
I've been torturing myself for the last week on this site (I'd forgotten how addictive! :huh:) over which high output light I should get for field work. As a wildlife biologist, I need something tough, adaptable and powerful. I've almost settled in on the Nitecore TM15 with a white diffuser cap to give more of a flood when needed. My question is if this is actually a fairly tough light? I've seen all sorts of videos, but has anyone here actually had to live with one for an expended period? Is there something else to consider in this class? Thanks!

diggy64

Newly Enlightened
I've beat the crap out of my TM11 for over a year now. I do alot of caving in dirty wet environments and it still performs great. The flood is tremendous when compared to a normal 100 lumen headlamp. You REALLY do see more and enjoy things you wouldn't otherwise have noticed. Just make sure you keep freshies in there and replace the o-ring periodically. Great lights in my opinion.

EDIT: Also, check out this test done on the new TM26.

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Its tough, same deal, wet/dirty environments, drops, etc, seems to take a lickin and keep on tickin.

Lately, I find myself reaching for the ZebraLight S6330 instead of the TM11 though, as the output on the S6330 is brighter, the flood is similar, but the S6330 is a LOT smaller and even easier to carry (LESS than 4" long)...and its also a tough 'lil sumna beatch.

One thing to think about is the range you need the light to throw to, and, the amount of light needed on target at that range.

Do you have a range in yards or meters for example, that would work for you?

At that range, what level of detail are you hoping for?

gatorgrabber

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the feedback! I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a "hanger queen" that breaks by just looking at it funny. I work mostly in marshes and in weedy lakes while in the field (croc biologist), so I'm always muddy and wet...along with my equipment. I really need flood over throw, so anything over 200 yards is a waste for me. Am I still on the right track with the TM's?

Latest posts