XM-L2 VS XR-E2

jsaw123

Newly Enlightened
[h=2]Will an Xm-L2 U2 in a Wf-501b out shine a XR-E2 at a range of 100ft? Both are driven by 2x Cr123a 1400mah. Im not worried about which one will throw farther, but which one will be brighter inside 100-150 ft[/h]

Thanks​

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
He must have meant an XP-E2. As far as I understand an XM-L2 can be driven harder and be brighter, much more so at short distances.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
XM-L2 should be visibly brighter, even at same drive current. XP-E2 will have tighter beam and more lux but significantly less output overall. At close range the XM-L2 should have the edge easily.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
If there both driven at the same 1400mah the xpe2 is going to PWN the xml2 at 100feet

the hotspot will be brighter

Last edited:

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
At 1.4A & 100 ft, the XP-E2 will definitely outshine the XM-L2.
The XM-L2 driven at 1.4A has a good range of up till 50-60ft, IMO.
However the XP-E2 will be pretty hot to be driven at 1.4A..

- JonK

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
The xpe2 can handle 2.6 amps if mounted on copper like on VinhNyugen's dropins ;)

Yep, mine is driven a 2.0A and I can run it continuously. As long as you get good transfer from the drop-in to the body it can run steady.

Here you can see it against a Lumens Factory XP-G. It is being driven harder but still you can really see the good throw of this drop-in. The XP-E2 is the more neutral coloured beam on the right.

langham

Enlightened
Was this an attempt to get a higher post count? You would be waisting money if you only drive an XM-L2 at 1.4A. I have bought several of the XP-G2 and XM-L2 emitters, I have not gotten any of the XP-E2 emitters, but from the looks of things they are exactly the same as the XP-G2 with a smaller cross-section. They are not comparable, the XM-L2 is a fairly large LED meant for much larger applications than a P-60 drop in and would be almost all flood in that application. The XP-E2 would be almost all throw in something that size and would be better suited for one of the micro applications like a keychain light. If the question is between the XP-G2 and the XM-L2 at any distance I would go with the XP-G2 because it is a lot better for the P-60 design. The max current is lower so you are getting more out of it and the cross-section is smaller so you are getting more light-gather for a given out put from the emitter. The XM-L2 even though it will put out more light would have a vast majority of that light being lost prior to the intended target. My favorite P-60 is a de-domed XP-G2 driven at 1.4A, so neither use the XP-G2.:welcome:

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure TS is just trying to find out more

And i have a XM-L driven at 1.4A because my work doesn't require me to have 800+ lumens OTF. Doesn't feel like i am wasting my money. :rolleyes:

- JonK

Last edited:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldent say a 1,4 amp xm-l is a waste. One of my favorite drop in moudules feeds only 1,5 amp to a warm xm-l. The edc+ x60-l. I would say it reaches about 100 yards max when im up on the mountians with no ambient light. I rarly use it on it's max mode with 1,5 amps. I dont like to use a face melting light up on the mountians, and 1,5 amps is plenty (more than i need). Nice to have a "no-noncene" light that wont suck that battery dry in a hurry, wont heat up. Put a 18650 in it and i know it will last the whole trip.. and still gives more light than i really need.

Bournejan

Newly Enlightened
I could sure CREE don't have XR-E2. They have XPE2,XPG2,and XM2. Latest they release many new products. But never have XRE2. The cost is high than other leds.

jsaw123

Newly Enlightened
Sorry everyone. I didn't realize I wrote XR-E2, I was referring to the XP-G2. Forum job I am in buildings many of which do not have power. I have an xm-l2 U2 and it puts put a ton of light for this situation. I think I'm going to get a XP-G2 R5 if I can find one for outside use. I was looking at the XP - E also but it seems the xpg is better

JCD

Enlightened
You would be waisting money if you only drive an XM-L2 at 1.4A.

Actually, it's the opposite. Reducing current to an LED increases its luminous flux per watt, i.e., its efficiency. In other words, decreasing current by half will not halve the output of the LED, nor will doubling the current double the output. LEDs are more efficient at lower currents, at least down to a point.

See this thread. The second to last graph, Efficiency Versus Current, is especially illuminating (so to speak). All 28 emitters tested show the same pattern of efficiency decreasing as current increases.

In a very real sense, those who drive their emitters at full current (or higher) are the ones wasting money.

Cereal_Killer

Enlightened
I don't care what it costs, if they make a XR-E2 I would be updating several of my lights, that would be awesome!

So many no name lights use the XR-E and seeing as how all the 2nd gen emitters are direct swaps into their first gen emitter hosts even if the actual emitter costs more the cost savings to manufactures would be huge compared to redesigning their lights/reflectors to a new/different emitter type.

Why have they not made it? Or atleast a new 90* emission pattern emitter with ultra-high surface brightness for aspheric lens applications.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry everyone. I didn't realize I wrote XR-E2, I was referring to the XP-G2. Forum job I am in buildings many of which do not have power. I have an xm-l2 U2 and it puts put a ton of light for this situation. I think I'm going to get a XP-G2 R5 if I can find one for outside use. I was looking at the XP - E also but it seems the xpg is better

What XM-L2 U2 light are you using?