New Armytek Predator Pro emitter choices

TBuddha

Newly Enlightened
I am about to purchase the new Predator Pro v2.5, but of course, there is always one more decision to make. This light is currently being sold on Armytek's site with a XP-G2 R5 emitter, which puts out a Cool White 5500K light. They are also selling the Predator Pro with a XP-G2 R4 "Warm" emitter, which is a Neutral White 4000K light. The units seem to be identical, except the R5 max output is 670 lumens vs. the R4 640 lumens, and the beam distance for the R5 is 437 yards vs. 383 yards for the R4. There are advantages to a warmer light, but my first thought is that I am getting this to be my main "thrower", so I want all of the range I can get. However, maybe out over 1000 feet, it doesn't really make much difference. Also, I noticed the specs on the R4 still exceed those for the old Predator v2 R5 light that Subwoofer so beautifully reviewed, shown here on CPF. So, if I go for the new R4, won't I still be getting "more light" than the v2 I almost bought two weeks ago?

Any advice or observations would be appreciated. BTW, as of right now both lights seem to be within a few dollars of each other. The R4 is priced higher, but since it is over $95, shipping is free, whereas the R5 has an additional $30 for shipping, bringing it about even in cost with the other light.

Last edited:

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both Predators. XP-G2 cool and warm white. The cool white one would be my choice if I could only have one of the lights. The beam is a narrow spill with a perfect hot spot on both lights. I find there is very little back scatter of light you get with cool whites because the beam is narrow. The warm and cool lights probably throw about the same to my eye, but the cool white one is the winner to see an object at a distance. Either light is a winner.

sp5it

Enlightened
Can you please post beamshot of those lights side by side?
Thanks, Mike

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you please post beamshot of those lights side by side?
Thanks, Mike
From an iPhone. I couldn't get any long distance views. This gives an idea of tint .

evadesun.jpg

yquda4y4.jpg

epatasaz.jpg
amezyvyq.jpg

sp5it

Enlightened
Thanks, tell me which one is closest to to real tint you can see.
Thanks, Mike

Tulip bush

Enlightened
Last edited:

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spend the 30 dollars on something else to bring it up to the 95 dollars....batteries or something.

This link gives someone else's opinion on choice of tint...... 3rd down.

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?289583-NEW-Predator-Pro-amp-Viking-Pro-arrived!

THIS Shows all tints, great amount of distance shots etc.....

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?264086-All-ArmyTek-Predator-tints-in-one-place!

Much better quality photos in the linked thread than mine. The emitters in my lights are XP-G2 and the neutral is 5B1. The emitters in the other thread are XPG and the neutral is 5C. The cool whites are both 1C in both threads.

laur

Newly Enlightened
Hello Everyone

Just received the new Predator Pro Ver 2.5 with a XPG2 LED via FEDEX express today. Amazingly fast shipping from China -- I ordered the light on 05/02/13 and received the light on 05/06/13. I now own the older Predator with a XPG R5 led and the new Predator Pro. It's not quite dark here yet so I can't do along distance shot comparison but I have darkened the house and have about a 50 foot hallway that gives a good comparison of the hot spot and overall lumens.

NOTE: I do NOT have a camera so no pictures

Here are my first impressions (Predator PRO will be called NEW and the original Predator will be called OLD):

PROS +
* The NEW is visibly brighter then the OLD.
* The NEW hotspot is the same size but overwhelms the OLD in brightness.
* The NEW should have more lux and throw farther.
* The increase in the spill diameter from 24 degrees OLD to 40 degrees NEW translates to more usable spill.
* The tailcap have been modified to be a little shorter and the tailcap button requires less pressure to click on.
* The matte finish on the NEW feels "stickier" then the OLD and will help maintain a grip in wet conditions.
* The NEW LED is more creamy white then the OLD. The OLD beam looks more neutral white by comparison.
* The NEW maintains all the programming modes of the OLD.

CONS --
* The NEW head to body threads were very dry and I had to lubricate them to smoothly switch modes.
* The NEW tailcap was touted by ArmyTek to be flat so it would tailstand. Mine will not.
* The box it came in feel "flimsier" then the OLD box.

NEUTRALS
* All the accessories are the same -- holster, rubber shim, push on clip and lanyard.
* The NEW reflector was spotless and well machined but then again so was the OLD.

I know this short review will never equal selfbuilt's but I just wanted to give my first impressions. You can use this and other sources to help in your decision making process.

Enjoy
laur

TBuddha

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to everyone for the advice and comments. After a lot of back and forth, I decided to go with the Warm version of the Predator Pro v2.5. I am very pleased with the light. I am equally sure I would have loved the regular Cool White version also, but the Warm just fit better into the lineup of lights I have.

Like Laur, I got VERY fast delivery. I ordered and paid through Paypal, and received notification from Paypal a couple of days later the item had been shipped to California from China. They included a FedEx tracking number. The light was delivered the next day! No special handling. This was the normal delivery.

I had the previous version of the Old Predator v2.0 in my hands for a few days last month. I purchased it from a vendor through Amazon, but returned it because it was defective. So I don't have side-by-side observations like Laur, but I generally agree with the comments Laur made above. However, I did not find that the head to body threads on my new light were dry, and in need of lubrication. Actually, I think perhaps part of the problem with the old light I returned was there may have been too much gunk that got down inside the head assembly, particularly around the gold ring, which may have caused it to misbehave. I tried to clean it out, but to no avail. That light would not hold a line. It would sometimes turn on in the wrong line, before correcting itself.

I will also add that my new light did not come with the full user manual, which should include all of the instructions needed to program the unit. It only had the Quick Guide, which is also the one available for download on the Armytek site. I requested a full user guide sheet from them, but have not yet heard back yet.

I should note I was able to download and print the instructions Selfbuilt included in his excellent review for the old light, and it sounds like they will work exactly the same for this one as well. I have yet to try it out. Thanks!

BTW, Armytek honored the CPF discount they offer in the CPF Marketplace.

Again, love the light. Boy, does this thing throw! Tom

sp5it

Enlightened
I received PRO 2.5 Warm yesterday.
Led tint is exactly as I wanted to. Little bit warmer than XM-L2 T6 3C i have in another light.
I expected to have more throw and more light, but it shines well, no doubt.
Also full user manual was not included. Shame on you Armytek because it is also not available for download from product webpage.
Mike

999snafu

Newly Enlightened
I've also got the Warm Predator Pro recently having used a cool one some years back, the warm beam is just so much nicer on the eye outside which is where these lights will be used cos of the long range beam. I always used to stick with cool lights preferring the higher outputs, but thanks to 1 or 2 accidental recent purchases I'm pretty much converted to having most lights in a warm/neutral tint.

I don't know why but Armytek doesn't do a full guide with the light anymore, but if you go onto CPFMarketplace and look in the Armytek forum for a post titled: "Programming Guide - Quick reference for Armytek Predator"

This post has for picture/charts explaining how to use the menus, the first two are titled v1.2 but its the same memory as the v2 & v2.5. I have to say that I found those charts as being the easiest to follow way of describing the programming on the light.

Last edited:

RobCob

Newly Enlightened
Just received my light yesterday and it also didn't have setup instructions. Other than that I am loving this light! First warm light purchase and I don't think I'll ever go back to cool white.

marcham

Newly Enlightened
Do they have programming instructions anywhere on the website?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD