What to use all these high power lights for?

n2deep

Newly Enlightened
So what does everyone use all of their high lumen lights for in the real world? I have several high powered lights and wish I had something better to do with them than just shine on the trees in the neighborhood. A friend of mine volunteers for Texas Equusearch and was asking me if I wanted to join. This got me to thinking that it would be a perfect time to use some of these things and had me wondering what other CPF'ers are using them for?

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened
High end lights can be great in farm country for at least half the year, when the fields are bare or your looking over short stubble, or young plants. During that time you can use the reach of the high end throwers. When all the leaves are on in the woods or get surrounded by 12' corn stalks in late spring not much use for the big guns. In the summer months a floody XML at 300lm is all I need, prefreably in a Neutral or Warm or High CRI. In the fall and winter when the woods open up and the fields are bare I can get out the throwers and play a little.
Thats one of the reasons I don't get too excited about the big lights as much as the mid size floody lamps. Small or Medium flashlights are usefull year round and give enough reach for any normal person, and they still fit in a pocket. I really don't need to see more than 50 yards very often if I'm being honest with myself, Its cool to be able to when you can see that distance without having your view blocked, but truthfully not something that I really need to do.

srmd22

Newly Enlightened
Oh, I use them for....for... hmm...well...not a thing.

Does scaring family members count?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also prefer floody EDC lights for 90%+ of my needs, however a higher powered thrower comes in handy in the winter when I let the dog run though the woods off leash in the winter. During summer, the foliage and ticks kinda spoil the fun for both of us.

Yorgi

Newly Enlightened
Mostly I use my big throwers for impressing friends who think I am nuts for owning so many flashlights. Once they see a 1500+ lumens light in action they are a little less skeptical.

Occasionally I will use a big light when camping to look across a small lake or to scare off animals I hear lurking around.

RWeis

Newly Enlightened
I live in florida, walk the dog at night and before sun up in the morning. There is a 5 acre field that I can let him off the leash. I walk the perimeter of the field while Shadow runs around pretty much in the middle. When he scares up an armadillo or rabbit the chase is on!

I use the 1300+ lumens of my TN31 to see where he is running and what he is running after. I wanted Really GOOD light out to 150 - 200 yards (level 6), out to 50 - 75 yards (level 5 & 4), well highlighted close in walking area about 30 yards (level 3), road walking light (level 2), and getting dressed light in the house without waking wifey up (level 1).

Haven't used the strobe for anything yet (been thinking as a party strobe for the grand kids)

Bob Weis

n2deep

Newly Enlightened
Oh, I use them for....for... hmm...well...not a thing.

Does scaring family members count?
Well at least I'm not the only one!! I just purchased a polarion PH-40 last night so I guess this will be another light to blast into the trees. I live in a subdivision so I don't even have a excuse to walk the dog with them because of the street lights. ;).

gianetics

Enlightened
me and my buddies will use high powered lights while playing disc golf aka Frisbee golf at night. its a blast! i highly recommend the sport and playing at night is fun gives me a reason to bust out the high powered lights