handheld search light options

Tyler A

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys I'm looking for a handheld search light that I can use for fire dept. Search and rescue ops. I live in a rural area and would like to be able to reach 400 yards if possible. I'm interested in the foursevens maelstrom mmu hd and the fenix tk 75. I'm just wanting some opinions on the two especially the battery that tk 75 uses and anything else you all think will fit the bill for under 300$, thanks guys

Lightman2

Enlightened
Hi Tyler. I admit there are far more people here who can advise as I am limited in my collection but I did buy a Fenix TK50. Thing I liked about it was the large reflector, side switches and the fact it used standard D cell batteries. On the heavy side but a robust light with heaps of throw and a bit of side flood coverage (small) and a good price. Oh and the run times are very good. I have not looked up the two options you are looking at but I would stay clear of lights who have special manufactures batteries. May not be an issue if you are always at base and getting the battery (preferably removable battery) recharged but the great thing with standard batteries like AAA,AA,C and D is they are available anywhere. You could also get rechargeable batteries of the same type. Also multi LED lights even though they advertise high lumens does not necessarily mean you are going to get the throw you want. A single LED light with the right reflector, circuit and power source will outdo a multi LED light due to its design (generalization).i would suggest you go to goinggear.com and look at Marshall doing his light tests outside and you will see how good or not so good some of the lights are in the real world.

Last edited:

Tyler A

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the video links first off, and I want to go with cr123a batteries because that's what my other lights run on (all surefire at the moment) and the rc 40 is definitely jumping up to the top of my list, that thing is awesome and I watched patriots short review of and I'm going to check out the long one now. Thanks guys. Anymore suggestions on stuff to check out. Also how do these lithium ion rechargeable batteries hold a charge and last for use?

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look at the Streamlight SuperTac X. High is 200 lumens & 400 m with an over 2hr run time on two CR123s. It also has a 10 lumen low for when you are looking a little closer. And the price is reasonable at around $70USD.

Tyler A

Newly Enlightened
after watching patriot36s reviews of the fenix rc40 I think that is the way I'm going to go. The only thing I can't find much info on is how these rechargable batteries take and hold a charge. I like the idea of not draining so many batteries and cash but I have always had a bad impression of lights I have seen that have rechargeable batteries but I understand technology has advanced so is the cell the rc 40 uses good to go for as far as life span goes?