Waterproofing Surefire

Nostrajoshmus

Newly Enlightened
I've heard a lot of talk about adding an extra o-ring to the tail of a surefire for "waterproofing" and that seems to do the trick to make them even more (water resistant). I think I've figured out a way to help close that gap between weather resistant and waterproof by adding not one but three additional o-rings to my flashlights which include a C3, C2, 6P, and even a G2 for a total of 5 o-rings per light, as opposed to just 2 stock. I started by adding an extra o-ring to the tail and one to the head of the body just below the threads, which ironically you need a smaller o-ring for the larger head to allow the Z44 bezel to screw onto the body. The open o-ring slot is thicker than the stock slot that comes with the o-ring pre-installed.Finally the thickest o-ring goes between the tail cap and the body. Although I don't recommend swimming/diving with any surefire, but hopefully this can help some of you achieve that next level of water tightness.

Let me know if anyone needs the size/make of o-rings used, or has any additional Q's about the upgrade. -cheers

20130503040521.jpg
[/IMG]
c3head.jpg
[/IMG]

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Adding second or third o'ring is very popular and you can see in many other modified or custom made hosts such as this.

However, this may make the host better water resistance but not necessarily submersible.

chanjyj

Enlightened
All leaks I've noticed is never from the tailcap, or bezel. 2 main areas:
1. Glass/Plastic lens
2. Tailcap clicky

Nostrajoshmus

Newly Enlightened
Hi fivemega, this thread isn't about waterproofing modified or custom made hosts, If read carefully it is simply about achieving a higher level of water tightness for stock (surefire) hosts. That being said the link you posted was a bit contradicting..

fivemega said:
Put a nailbender drop in into a 1x18650 body with an Electron Guru OveReady Custom switch SF head, and dropped it in a glass of water. Unit functioned until the AW 18650 3400mah battery was dead.

WaterProof

(Used an additional extra thin O ring at the head)

Nice!

All in all your 3P is quite impressive, Nice work!

Nostrajoshmus

Newly Enlightened
They are all Danco o-rings. Tail: #30 7/8"O.D. x 3/4"I.D. x 1/16". Head: #40 3/4"O.D. x 5/8"I.D. x 1/16". Third ring between tail and body: #14 15/16"O.D. x 3/4"I.D. x 3/32"