New EDC - considering ET D25 or SWM V11R - your thoughts?

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thinking I may retire my venerable NC D10 EDC for a EagleTac D25 clicky -OR- Sunwayman V11R and would appreciate your input.

For a replacement, I'm considering an Eagletac D25 clicky, either the C or A model, Ti or black, XM-L, definitely a neutral tint. (I stopped buying cool white lights quite some time ago - only neutral tints for me anymore.)

One of my reasons for this choice of EDC light is the very 'D10-like' deep pocket clip that the D25 offers... I LOVE this clip design for an EDC light and the size and shape is also quite like the venerable D10.

I run li-ion when possible, and usually prefer 14500 size over RCR123 size, for the longer run time, but the slightly shorter 123 size light might get the nod this time for a slight edge in compactness. I do find the AA length and girth easy to pocket though, so 123 length isn't a requirement.

I'm looking for your thoughts on the Ti version of the D25 vs. black anodized. Never had a Ti light before.

I also would like your views on the C vs. A size. So please chime in if you have any experience with the D25 clicky models.

Also considering the Sunwayman V11R. Your thoughts?

Last edited:

shudaizi

Newly Enlightened
Re: Eagletac for EDC: D25A or C, Ti or Anodized?

I have the D25A Ti (2013). It's my briefcase and travel EDC (since AA is always available everywhere). I like it so far, but as others have reported, mine has a "pre-flash" when turning on: a very short blast of Medium intensity light before it goes to the default Low. I don't find it particularly objectionable, but some do and you may. I purchased the neutral XM-L T6 and like the tint very much. It's not as nice as the lights I have with Nichia 219s, but I greatly prefer it to the cool white lights I have. Oddly, the most annoying part of the light for me is how loud the clicky sound is. While I like the Ti, part of me wishes I had just purchased the black anodized since I'm not, ultimately, in love with this light.

pepekraft

Newly Enlightened
Re: Eagletac for EDC: D25A or C, Ti or Anodized?

I've also got a 2013 D25A ti clicky. I chose the NW XPG - the XM-L is too floody for my taste in such a small reflector.

Same preflash on mine, but only with 1.5v batteries. With 14500 if there's a preflash, I can't see it.

I go back and forth between eneloop and 14500 -- I guess I'm mostly using 14500 now. You lose moonlight, but it still has 3 distinct modes. It does gets hot on high, but wow. Bright.

It's not supposed to have PWM, but I see it on several of the modes. It's fast and doesn't bother me, but some folks might find it annoying.

It has great finish, clip, knurling, and feels solid and indestructible especially for its size, which is small for an AA clicky. For reference, it looks to me like it's about 2mm larger than an EZ-AA in each dimension. Regarding material, I don't have a black one to compare it to -- I bought this in Ti as a birthday gift for myself, and I love it. It's clipped in my front pocket right now.

wordwalker3

Newly Enlightened
I have D25C Ti with an XML2 and a D25A Ti with an XPG2. I like the floody XML in most situations and the C for pocket carry. The A stays in a belt pouch with my wallet as back up or if I want a bit more throw. I have been very pleased with both.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also considering the Sunwayman V11R. Your thoughts?

Based on how I use a light, this is such a clear no-brainer that you probably use your light differently than me. I have two v10Rs (not an 11, but from what I can tell, roughly same UI and build quality, and similar performance to my V10R AE), and though I don't have one, the D25s seem nicely done too.

For me, the big honking difference is the UI. Sunwayman's works for me, Eagletac's is horrible -- for me, obviously could be exactly the opposite for you. The Sunwayman's UI lets me do all the things I need: I can set brightness in advance to any level I want, and then operate in momentary mode without having the levels advance. And when I do want to change levels, it lets me change levels with just a twist instead of having to click-through and also possibly head tighten/loosen. If you like forward clicky, momentary (NO advancing levels), ability to set level before you turn on light (and change your mind and re-set the level from where it was last), and insanely rapid light output adjustment, the Sunwayman is perfect. IF you find reverse clicky, every press changes levels on me, click-click-click and possibly head-twist UI acceptable, then the Eagletac looks good. I'm constantly using momentary in EDC, and constantly adjusting and re-adjusting the light level, both before I turn a light on, and sometimes in use, and for my style of usage, these aren't in the same league -- the Sunwayman is a joy to use, Eagletac style UIs are something that at best I'll "get used to and put up with".

jmac30

Newly Enlightened
I bought the hi-cri V11r and love it! I wish these were a standard offering as it got turned on in my pocket (or I stuck it in there turned on!) and the grease for the control ring lost its viscosity so there is zero resistance to movement. When I have some time I may try a couple of fixes. Other than this it is a near perfect light for me and was carried every day for 6 months and still looks great! Good luck!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

bansuri

Enlightened
Don,
The Eagletac UI would be fine if only they would've reversed the head tightened modes and used a different switch. As it is, you have to leave the head loose to access the mode set that is most useful - LMH. With the head loose it is easy to accidentally jump from low to high if the head isn't loose enough. It will take your eyes a while to recover from this mistake as it can go from moonlight to MAX output just by touching the head, who thinks of these UIs?
The Ti version looks nice, i bought one and sold it, maybe V2 will address the clunky interface and switch.
So close. Maybe a ring of adhesive-backed insulating material to lock out the HI/STROBE mode completely.
Dont know if there are forward clicky replacement switches in that size.
I have the Eagletac AA twisty also, that's a nice little light that doesn't suffer from the UI problems I mentioned above but does make you step through levels.
I'm holding out for the Zebralight SC52w or d.
I've been tempted by the M11, waiting for SWM to incorporate some over-discharge protection.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the comments. It sounds like the V11R may be a better choice for me. Though I'm disconcerted by some of the reports of the brightness ring going bad that I've read. I almost think I should just stick with the D10!

I've ordered up a V11 and a couple of D25s.... will see how I like 'em.

TIP AND RING

Enlightened
I was at this cross road.... ending up selling the V11R, gifting the Eagletac and having my D10 modded with a XM-L and putting the Eagletac clip on the D10.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was at this cross road.... ending up selling the V11R, gifting the Eagletac and having my D10 modded with a XM-L and putting the Eagletac clip on the D10.

With advancements in flashlight tech and manufacturing capability since the D10 came about, one would think that the latest lights should easily compete with, if not exceed the D10, but I'm getting the impression that the latest EDC pocket-carry lights in single "C" and "A" configurations really haven't brought superior operational capability nor greater reliability than we had three or four years ago. Already, I'm thinking I may well wind up returning the lights I just bought and I haven't even received them yet. That's disappointing. I'll probably join the ranks of those patiently (or not so patiently) awaiting a neutral version of the SC52.

Last edited:
I have the V11R and carry it all the time - 6 months now. I don't use the ring a lot but it is still fine and the flexibility of this light is great.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had my V10R AE since they came out (1-2 years ago?) and my regular V10R a good number of months before that, the AE sees daily use, ring is fine. Of course, one good story doesn't counteract one bad one, but I didn't notice people had been having ring problems..

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the idea of the IV magnetic ring lights, but low/sub- lumen emergency runtime (eg, 100+ hrs on a half dead cell) is too important for me so my vote goes to moonlight mode clickies. Also prefer AA lights since the wide availability kinda represents emergency runtime, incl. being able to use AAAs and 9V (6xAAAA) in a pinch. I use 14500s and 3V CRAAs (14505s) lithium primaries when I need power.

jay_rush

Unenlightened
get a olight s10 most perfect edc, brighter than most edc lights and u can put it on a key chain..

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had a resurgence in optimism about the V11R... and possibly so for the D25A. I have one of the former and two of the latter in bound... ALL with neutral emitters: XM-L neutral in the V11R and XP-G2 R4 and XM-L neutrals in the two D25A's (one is Ti). So... I have some fun ahead in examining and using these new lights. They will all be used with li-ion cells, though I may test them out with Eneloops as well, just for the heck of it.

blackFFM

Newly Enlightened
XP-G2 R4 and XM-L neutrals in the two D25A's (one is Ti).

Sorry to disappoint you but there is no Eagletac D25 with XP-G2 R4. Let me guess, you bought from illuminationGear?

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to disappoint you but there is no Eagletac D25 with XP-G2 R4. Let me guess, you bought from illuminationGear?

blackFFM... NO disappointment has occurred at all!

What do you think the emitter is in the EagTac D25 that I described? Does Illumination Gear spec different emitters than are normally found in EagTac lights? Your comment left far more unsaid, than said.

And contrary to what you were thinking, I'm not the least bit disappointed. Rather, I LOVE the emitter in the light... however it may be identified.

Yes, I did buy it from Illumination Gear. It sure looks like an EagTac light and packaging. Doesn't seem to be a fake. Were you implying that coming from Illumination Gear it is a fake? Or a special run? Just what are you implying??? Better yet, forget implying... just state what you are trying to hint at regarding IlluminationGear?

Of course, I have no way of determining what emitter is in the light, but I must say that I absolutely LOVE whatever emitter it is! It looks somewhat warmer than neutral and has the central-oriented XP-G beam characteristic. And now, comparing it to my SWM V11R neutral X-ML light, I am surprised to find myself preferring the D25 with (presumably) XP-G2 R4 emitter, though the V11R is certainly a very well made, quality light. The D25 isn't quite up to the build quality of the V11R, but all-in-all, I like the smaller form factor and interface of the D25 and am not 'taking' to the continuous rotary control of the V11R as much as I thought I would. Don't get me wrong... I'm impressed with the quality of the V11R, however, I simply prefer the D25 as an EDC light.

So... my impressions from using these two lights are the polar opposite of what I was expecting to feel! Most interesting.

Last edited: