Ever lose touch with a performance custom because of all the new mainstream lights?

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Surefire C2 with a Kerberos quad nichia 219 went missing beneath a seat cushion for awhile. Didn't fret much, I knew it was around somewhere. I've been putzing around with new lights like the 1000 lumen Eagletac TX25C2 instead. The Eagletac is pretty bright, enough to whip my attention for the time being.

I find the quad nichia today, more than a week later, fire it up and :eek:. You're quickly reminded how much superior the quality of its output is compared to most lights in this class. 1,200 hi-cri lumens in a wall of light and no hotspot with its 10622 optics. It was like experiencing something awesome anew again.

Losing faith in a light? Interesting cure - send it on a hiatus. Then rediscover it.

Edit: The bigger point being, even with something superb in your possession, it's easy to get jaded and accustomed to. The bar that was met starts rising again, a reset was all that was needed.

Last edited:

JCD

Enlightened
Re: Ever lose touch with a custom light because there's so many new mainstream lights

I've experienced something like that. My lights with P60's and P90's sat on a shelf for a few years before I rediscovered them and realized just how much better they were than the LED based lights and/or drop-ins with which I had replaced them.

Like so many others, I jumped on the LED bandwagon far too soon.

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Ever lose touch with a custom light because there's so many new mainstream lights

Yeah no sheetin. There's a reason why I paid $220 for this dropin. The Eagletac looks like an angry cool hotspot in comparison. :D

BTW someone around here has a sig line that reads, "if I want to actually SEE, I grab an incandescent." Something to that effect :D

yifu

Enlightened

I still love my Kenji (Keberos) quad S2 at 5,6A with 10621 optics. There is really no other light in the size that compares to its 1400-1500 lumen out, even 3 years later...And anyway NO production light comes even remotely close to the versatility of the P60 format, instead of being stuck to virtually one option you can have everything you want in a P60 light, from AA capability, high CRI, tailstanding, clicky switch, bezel options etc.

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast

He's building an XP-G2 R5-3C neutral quad for me as we speak.

I know the rendering output won't be as good as the Nichia 219, but I'm drooling at what the output volume is going to be like. :D

Hopefully the tint was a good choice.

BTW: I prefer the 10622. It's floodier. Virtually no hotspot. But not so much to make it a mule.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Other way around for me, I lost touch with the mainstream because of customs. I learned to appreciate the quality over a game of luminous efficiency catch-up, and even my customs are not the best out there.