E1L / KX1 cree mod

el_Pablo

Enlightened
Hey,

I updated this old E1L (originaly cree xr-e), originaly rated at 35 lumens

I love the form factor of this light, small and agressive looking.

The TIR optic with the light diffusor works well, no ring or artefact!

I had to remove a lot of material to fit a 20mm copper sinkpad (i had to improve my top stove reflow) with XPG2 R5 into it, i had to dig into the led base, to adjust the optical focal point of -2.3mm, probaly the led dome size difference and die between xre and xpg2, if you try to just swap the led, the focus will be wrong...

this head was a PITA to open...

tailcap current is 190mA (around 7 hrs of flat regulation, folowed by 7hrs of long taper), sadly i didnt change the driver, cant find any good 1.8v -4.2v driver :-(

the driver will not work with 4.2v, it will blink high -low, until the right voltage is reached (3.3v)

So this light will be my battery vampire! user for sure!

photo_1_1.jpg

All the parts ready for assembly

photo_2_1.jpg

Glued down sinkpad and XPG2, into the heavily machined base

photo_3.jpg

Finished, i removed the assembly tolerance gap initialy between the two part of the head!

photo_4.jpg

4 feet from the wall, light switch for scale reference. The beam is really nice!

Last edited:

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
As pretty much all your mods I've seen in recent weeks/months from you, Pablo, this one is very attention-to-detail rich and very clean... beautiful...
Keep up the great work and be sure to offer few of these to community as well...

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
As pretty much all your mods I've seen in recent weeks/months from you, Pablo, this one is very attention-to-detail rich and very clean... beautiful...
Keep up the great work and be sure to offer few of these to community as well...

agreed, nice work!