Fenix E01, 13 Lumens?

JNieporte

Enlightened
I just got a new E01 from that place named after a big river. The advertising lists the E01 as having 13 lumens, while every other source says it's 10 lumens. When the light arrived, the box even lists the output at 13 lumens, per ANSI standards. Did something change? I thought Fenix was using ANSI standards when they advertised the E01 as 10 lumens. Was there a change in standards, or is the light redesigned?

EDIT: To add...
The other E01s I've gotten in the past have come with one spare O-ring, instruction manual, and split ring, but no battery. This E01 (it's advertised a grey, by the way) came with all of those things, but a no-name "heavy duty" AAA. Weird for a Fenix. Here's the link... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BNUBDKM/?tag=cpf0b6-20

The Fenix site has a Serial Number Finder. I typed the number in and the information matches, except the color is listed as olive green.

Last edited:

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix are recently including batteries in the lights sold in their blister packaging. I won a E01 through the survey and came including a no-name AAA.
Also, if you check the Fenix website, it´s listed as 13 lumens: http://www.fenixlight.com/ProductMore.aspx?id=48&tid=11&cid=1#.UYhpcLXvutw
They might have changed the emitter at some point or the driver maybe and many resellers are probably listing the old specs.

The color I think is because what they call olive green looks very grayish - had noticed it through the pictures on their website too.

I wouldn't worry, your E01 doesn't sound like it's a fake.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have wondered if the E01 has indeed gotten brighter since it's first release. It has gone from 10 lumens, I believe at the emitter to 13 ANSI lumens. Actually I believe the E01 was said to be about 7 lumens OTF, so that is almost twice as bright. I'd love to hear from somebody who has an old one and a new one.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it still that ugly shaped blue tint? If so that is probably still the Nichia GS and if it's 13 lumens then my guess would be that they changed driver. Was it a constant voltage driver? I forget what was the final outcome of that.

Anyway, to get 13 lumens means getting 35mA to the LED where as 10 lumens needed 25mA, but it only needs a tiny little jump in voltage to get 35mA. Something like from 3.0V to 3.1V

Edit: saw your review on Amazon and yes blue blobby tint sounds like the Nichia GS

Last edited:

JNieporte

Enlightened
I have wondered if the E01 has indeed gotten brighter since it's first release. It has gone from 10 lumens, I believe at the emitter to 13 ANSI lumens. Actually I believe the E01 was said to be about 7 lumens OTF, so that is almost twice as bright. I'd love to hear from somebody who has an old one and a new one.

I have a few old ones and one new one. They appear to be equal in terms of brightness and beam pattern.

JNieporte

Enlightened
Is it still that ugly shaped blue tint? If so that is probably still the Nichia GS and if it's 13 lumens then my guess would be that they changed driver. Was it a constant voltage driver? I forget what was the final outcome of that.

Anyway, to get 13 lumens means getting 35mA to the LED where as 10 lumens needed 25mA, but it only needs a tiny little jump in voltage to get 35mA. Something like from 3.0V to 3.1V

Edit: saw your review on Amazon and yes blue blobby tint sounds like the Nichia GS

Yes, you still get the blobby blue beam / tint. The polish-the-bulb-and-reflector-with-0000-steel-wool trick works well on the new one. Then​ it looks brighter than the old one.