Why Not McGizmo ?

djdawg

Enlightened
Why would anyone spend that much money on a flashlight ??
What are the pros and cons ?
I need help or opinions on McGizmo lights.
I put it here so I could get more opinions , otherwise I,d post it in the McGizmo sub forum , where Iam bound to get all good opinions of there lights.
Does anyone have any reasons not to get a McGizmo ??

phoenix.stu

Newly Enlightened
The quality, durability of one of Don's lights are just amazing. It is an amazing light, very well built, sexy! And one of the best reasons, Don is one of the best people in the industry to deal with period!

Frank1967

Enlightened
I put it here so I could get more opinions , otherwise I,d post it in the McGizmo sub forum , where Iam bound to get all good opinions of there lights.

I just bought two in the last week.
I bought it in case I need to battle Darth Vader.
Don't buy it if you can't afford it. That would be silly!:)

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased a McGizmo. Main reason was because he's the brains behind most of the parts in my other lights. McClicky switch, customed reflectors, etc.

djdawg

Enlightened
This is kind of like a Poll for me.............so far not much negativity , but its early in the post yet.

Frank1967

Enlightened
i should add where else can you order one of, if not the best, custom lights in the world and receive shipping notice the same day! Don is ridiculously trusting and his light just feel so good in the hand.

archimedes

Flashaholic

Don't you already have several McGizmos ? ... :thinking:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...your-GIZMO-!&p=4192369&viewfull=1#post4192369

djdawg

Enlightened
Yes I have 4 and one more on the way.
I just wanted to hear others thoughts that werent on his forum.
pros and cons so to speak.

yifu

Enlightened
Because McGizmo's lights are among the best in our little custom world, along with Coolfall(SPY), MirageMan, Mushydont and TranquilityBase etc. He has brought many innovations into the industry as well
-first piston drive light
-Revolutionary McClicky switch and McE2s switch
-McR reflectors are used in many lights including all the Malkoffs

Custom titaniums and really high powered HIDs are the pinnacle of our hobby so every real flashoholic should have either or both.

Z-Tab

Enlightened
McGizmo has beautiful designs and I have a McClicky in the majority of my lights. I bought a Haiku to try it, but I sold it because it wasn't quite what I was looking for.

My biggest issue was that I found the mode switching to be frustrating and inconsistent, especially on primaries. If the light is going to advertise that it has reasonable drive levels, I expect it to be able to work well on primaries. My Haiku - and I understood this to be common with all Haikus - was not very responsive to level changes unless it had a LiIon inside. The UI just didn't work for me, though I understand why some people would prefer to have a light that requires a very concentrated effort to change the level.

The great thing about having a variety of exceptionally skilled custom builders is that everybody can seek out their own ideal. Personally, I didn't like the Haiku, but I am definitely interested in trying a Makai at some point... though maybe with a custom light engine that is built to suit my own preferences.

persco

Enlightened
McGizmo has beautiful designs and I have a McClicky in the majority of my lights. I bought a Haiku to try it, but I sold it because it wasn't quite what I was looking for.

My biggest issue was that I found the mode switching to be frustrating and inconsistent, especially on primaries. If the light is going to advertise that it has reasonable drive levels, I expect it to be able to work well on primaries. My Haiku - and I understood this to be common with all Haikus - was not very responsive to level changes unless it had a LiIon inside. The UI just didn't work for me, though I understand why some people would prefer to have a light that requires a very concentrated effort to change the level.

The great thing about having a variety of exceptionally skilled custom builders is that everybody can seek out their own ideal. Personally, I didn't like the Haiku, but I am definitely interested in trying a Makai at some point... though maybe with a custom light engine that is built to suit my own preferences.

Did you contact Don about the problem with your light? I have a Haiku and only use primaries (Panasonics, not cheaply made batts) and I have never had a switching problem with the light... I had a few problems using cheaper batteries in My Aeon, too. I thought it was the light. It was really sketchy, flickering, etc. Then I replaced the Titanium Innovations battery with a Panasonic and the light works flawlessly now....

GunnarGG

Enlightened
A lot of reasons to get a McGizmo.
I'll try to give a reason not to buy one.
They are obviously great lights but just to balance all the pros... :)

This is sort of the same question or answer as:

Why should I pay $15 for a Mag when this $5 multiled light works for me?
Why should I pay $50-70 for a Fenix etc when this $15 Mag works for me?
Why should I pay $100-200 for a Surefire/HDS when this $50 Fenix works for me?
Why should I pay $500 for a McGizmo when this $150 Surefire works for me?

The more expensive light may be:
better quality/lifetime
more reliable in critical situations
better warranty
higher output / better beam / better tint
better/more sofisticated UI
better ergonomics
better looks / style ...

For me those $5 lights is enough for 90% of my needs I think. (But I don't use any of those lights)
The rest (Fenix, Zebra and similar and some Surefires) covers all my needs.
Well, it's a little bit more than I need actually but I like them.

I have thought about getting a McGizmo but realized that it would only be a shelfqueen for me and I don't want that.
For me it's to big to EDC (I prefer AAA) and as I understand it, but I might be wrong, it's not the UI I want.

Then just being interested in nice lights might make it worth buying even if you don't need it.
A reason as good as any! :D

Last edited:

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to own a Haiku high-cri, which I sold because it just wasn't mean for me:

- no low voltage protection for li-ion batteries
- dark ring in the beam
- spill not wide enough
- not very bright (but not bad either)
- low mode not low enough
- e-series threads way to short (i.e. not enough rotations, feels insecure)

It was still a very nice light. Just not for me. The nicest things about the McGizmo lights are the ergonomics and the clip. It just feels so nice in the hand.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like McGizmo lights but if I had to choose a reason not to like them......well I wish his current line was offered in Aluminum. Titanium is just heavy and it makes it less feasible to have high lumen output since Titanium is not the best for thermal transfer. I am loving that McGizmo AA power pack though and fighting the urge to buy one.

easilyled

Flashaholic
I like McGizmo lights but if I had to choose a reason not to like them......well I wish his current line was offered in Aluminum. Titanium is just heavy and it makes it less feasible to have high lumen output since Titanium is not the best for thermal transfer. I am loving that McGizmo AA power pack though and fighting the urge to buy one.

McGizmo never drives his lights hard and Titanium is more than adequate for the levels at which he does drive his lights.
As leds grow more and more efficient with less heat wasted, the thermal conductivity of Titanium is becoming less and less of an issue.

McGizmo chooses Titanium for its many advantages such as strength, durability and corrosion resistance, especially in marine environments which is where he spends much of life (lucky man!)

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
I've often lurked in the sales threads for his lights but can't justify the money on a single light- Eg: If I added up the cost of all my lights I could probably buy 2 of the Haikus, but then I would be without: a dedicated thrower, Peak Logan mule, keychain Peak Eigers, headlamp etc..

The lights are a fantastic combination of function AND form which is hard to find elsewhere, but for my use, the lows are too high and the highs are too low. IIRC the drivers also have mode memory, which I can't stand. I 'get' why people like them, but as someone who buys lights to fill a certain niche (flooder/thrower/keychain/etc) they just aren't for me.