Bowling For Columbine DVD Warning

BruiseLee

Enlightened
I got this tidbit of information from the December 2003 issue of American Rifleman.

An interesting thing about Bowling for Columbine is that the DVD distributor felt Michael Moore was very manipulative about the truth, and that the film was really more propaganda than a documentary. The DVD box actually has a sticker affixed to it with the warning:

"For a critical analysis of this documentary, please visit www.hardylaw.net/Truth_About_Bowling.html."

The site basically accuses Moore of deliberate deception, and criticizes Moore's statistics and editing techniques.

I thought Moore's verbal attack on Charlton Heston was in extremely bad taste. It is and was a well know fact that the former NRA president was suffering from Alzheimer's at the time of the interview. It would be like me waiting 10 years from now to go into the ring with Ali, punching him repeatedly, then claiming that I beat The Greatest.

The funny thing is I've met Michael Moore at least three times. I was actually at the Beverly Hilton the night he won a Writers Guild Award. He got a bunch of people on stage to protest President Bush sending troops to Afghanistan. I'd say at least half the people in the audience booed him.

Bruise

Bill.H

Enlightened
There's all kinds of stink being raised about that "documentary". Moore used footage of Heston that was not chronologically correct (he mixed it to make his point), gave half-truths, bad statistics, and told a few outright lies as well.

There's a movement underway to take back the Oscar, too, since the film doesn't meet the Academy's requirements for a documentary.

Google has many websites listing the errors/lies.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Moore is a boob...I just saw that DVD, tonight at the local Target, and didn't see any stickers like that on the cover...

--dan

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I rented the DVD because of the buzz, and was surprised to see that this "documentary" was in fact a transparently biased anti-gun polemic. Mr Moore obfuscates more than he enlightens.

Brightnorm

lightnix

Enlightened
I'm looking forward to seeing it on Channel 4 in the UK soon, having heard both sides of the argument. I'm reading Stupid White Men at the moment and it seems to me that although Mr. Moore may have some valid points to make, he blows it in the end by allowing it to become personal. In the end the whole thing just turns into a rant and any "truths" he may have uncovered are swamped by the power of his obvious rage, which is a shame because he is a great communicator of ideas and a very entertaining man.

torment

Newly Enlightened
I just gave a speech here at TU about how much of a boob Michael Moore is and how he changed the facts around to fit his liking. I think his award should be revoked.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's really a shame that he has blown it as bad as he does with this. There might have been some important stories to tell about what happened there and how these children fell so far as to do what they did.

Mr Moores movie however isn't about what happened there at all. At best it's a made for TV movie "Inspired by a true story" and that is about all he can claim.

He's forgotten what made some of his earlier work good and now uses his position strictly in order to make political statements. That, in and of itself, isn't really all that bad. But when you lie and make stuff up to do it, you only hurt the cause you embrace. I will be looking with much more skepticism at anything that mad produces and any cause he attaches himself to in the future. I would suggest that you all do to.

darkwater

Newly Enlightened
I think the DVD should bear a sticker stating:

"Warning Due to extreame libral bias. Do not purchase if you have the bumper sticker 'Charlton Heston is my president'.

Despite being rather annoying, it does have some interesting points (I want an account at that bank and the Cartoon is really funny /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif).

But....back to Moore bashing:
I think the contents of that site should be included with each DVD.