need Free PDF editor

Burgess

Flashaholic
Hello fellow CPF'ers --

Need to make a few minor changes in a PDF file.

There is no security activated, and no copyright.

Just wanna' make a few revisions, to make it easier to read.

Would really like a Free program which is Truly Free --

no advertisements, nagging hassles, etc.

Thank you for your comments and suggestions.

lovecpf
_

Poppy

Flashaholic
I don't know about a PDF editor, but OpenOffice is open source software that is excellent. In the document portion of the office suite you can create PDFs. I believe that you may be able to read a pdf in and modify it, then save the edited version.

Imon

Enlightened
I used to use Foxit ... not sure if that's free anymore.
If I'm a bit lost I usually go to download.com and snoop around and see where that leads me.

*Edit*
Whoops sorry wrong program.
Searching "PDF editor" on download.com actually brings up some pretty iffy results. :duh2:

Last edited:

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not sure what you want to change, this might help if you want to enlarge the printing or move things around before you print.
in the ADOBE reader there is a snapshot tool - you get to it from

TOOLS - SELECT & ZOOM - SNAPSHOT TOOL

this allows you to copy sections from the PDF file as an image.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use Libreoffice which can do all of the things that I need. (similar to MS office, but open source / multi platform).

Sometimes you can open a PDF, extract the text, and use it in a word processor. The word processor in Libreoffice (and some others) can save this edited version as your PDF. If you need to change pictures, that can be more challenging. In that case, it might make sense to scan it and work from there. Do you have the original file it was created from ?

The reasons I switched from MS Office to Open Office were a combination of price and a real dislike for the office 2007 interface. I already had to buy a multi computer version of MS Office for my wife / kids Macs and no way was I going to buy another copy for my PC.

The reason I switched from Open Office to LibreOffice, was to avoid dealing with Oracle's heavy handed BS (which came after they bought Sun), which can make MS and Apple look like benevolent charities.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know about a PDF editor, but OpenOffice is open source software that is excellent. In the document portion of the office suite you can create PDFs. I believe that you may be able to read a pdf in and modify it, then save the edited version.

There's an add-in that allows you to import PDF's into OpenOffice so they can be edited.

There are several tools available, both online and desktop versions, that convert PDF files into Word, Excel, or other formats so they can be edited. We use one at work that does a pretty good job if the document isn't too complicated, but unfortunately I don't know which one it is.

If you think something like this would work for you, you can read a fairly recent review of several of them here.