• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired SOLD: Mag 2D XP-E2

LilKevin715

Enlightened
Light has been sold!

Up for sale is a Blue 2D Mag running a XP-E2. Pics below can be enlarged by clicking on them.

Specs:

H22A DHS Flat Top heatsink
XP-E2 R3 bin 1D tint (6100-6500k) LED
3 x AMC7135 Linear regulator 3-mode (L/M/H) 1.05A Driver
Mint Mag 2D Blue host (incan model, reflector cam cut off)
Hardcoat acrylic lens (replaced crappy stock plastic lens)
PVC tube adaptor for 3 C cell operation
Tailspring mod for 3 C cells, resistance mod (copper braid)
White sticker dot to indicate max throw focus point (can be removed)

The light operates on 3 C cells and works best with Nimh cells. Alkaline cells can be used as well with reduced regulated runtime and output. Here is a chart showing the output levels of the driver and the associated lumen output (with Nimh cells).
ModeDrive Current (A)LED Lumens (est.)OTF Lumens (est.)
Low0.0483526
Medium0.32212896
High1.051320240

LED lumens is from the Cree Datasheet (@ 25C) and OTF numbers are around 75% of LED lumens. I measured the Vf of the LED on high (1.05A) and obtained a value of 3.24v. Why is that important and what does that mean? If you use high quality Nimh C cells with at least 4500-5000mAh capcity you should have a battery life (estimated) of roughly 4-4.5 hours on high, 12-13 hours on medium, and 90+ hours on low. The driver also has a low voltage warning at 2.7v; when the voltage of the cells under load reaches 2.7v (0.9v x 3) the driver will reduce output to low and the LED will flash once a second to indicate a low voltage warning. This will give you a good enough warning so you don't overdischarge your cells.

Why should you bother purchasing my modded mag instead of just buying a stock LED maglite? Lets do a quick comparison with the following:

Modded XP-E2 Mag vs 3D XP-E Mag

FYI the 3D XP-E is rated at 131 lumens (ANSI). It also has the advatage of a deeper reflector for slighly better throw.

Here are some beamshots of the XP-E2 Mag (left) vs the 3D XP-E (right). Beamshots are under exposed so the picture isn't washed out and to better compare throw (hotspot lux). Both lights have been focused for max throw. I've taken shots at 1, 15, and 30 seconds of runtime.

(1s)
(15s)
(30s)

As you can see the 3D XP-E does pretty decently at initial turn on but output starts to sag at 30 seconds. Next up is a animated GIF image showing 10 minutes of runtime output at 1 minute intervals.

As you can see the output of the XP-E2 mag barely sags, the same cannot be said for the 3D XP-E Mag...:whoopin:

Asking price for this Mag is $45 shipped (USA only) and payment is via Paypal. If you want this Mag post a :takeit: and send me a PM for payment info. Feel free to ask any questions.

Last edited:

LilKevin715

Enlightened
Re: FS: Mag 2D XP-E2

Light has been :sold: to iqwozpoom! Enjoy the new toy:)

talk about a great price. congrats to buyer and seller!

Thanks for the kind words tobrien! I really didn't make any money off the sale, just enough to cover the parts cost. Needed funds to start a new project;). Its a never ending cycle of modding lights, sell, mod more lights with newer tech, and the cycle continues.