My first mod finished: M@G 6D 5W Luxeon dd

Azecos

Newly Enlightened
My m@g 6d is finaly ready. here's some pics.

Emitter on hotlips installed:
magmod1.thumb.jpg

This is the powerpuck,I made it fit, but I took it out and made it direct drive:
magmod4.thumb.jpg
magmod5.thumb.jpg

This is a beamshot with a worn reflector (very bad one)
magmod6.thumb.jpg

2 pictures of the head (with UCL fitted):

magmod3.thumb.jpg
magmod2.thumb.jpg

To view the large pictures just click on the link:
http://www.azecos.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=Magmod

I will post some beamshots later (It's 16:54 over here)

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good mod Aze. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Good to see someone with guts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif) to cut down a Powerpuck to fit an OAD body. This light will give you oooddles of runtime. 6Ds !!! OOOODDLES.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Powerpuck limits the output to 750mA (or close to that) so it will not get very hot. For example, some 5w Direct Drive lights (say 9v Lithiums) starts at ~1.8A AND IT DOES GET HOT. So... the more amps, the hotter they get.

How many D-cells? Well, what is the max input rated by the Powerpuck? There is no point putting in more cells as the output is regulated.

Azecos

Newly Enlightened
I already took the powerpuck out and made it direct-drive. It runs on 6*1.2V 1500 mah D-cells (recharchable).
If only I could measure the amps, but I don't have the equipment for it.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Azz, congratulations on your new mod.

You are breaking new ground here using "D" rechargeables, since despite the voltage rating (1.2V) the inherently low internal resistance of the D's will allow a huge current spike to surge through the Luxeon. You may be saying bye-bye to your 5W (what bin is it -- specifically the Vf?) sooner than desired.

At least leave the batteries out for a day after charging to take some of the edge off. Just my humble suggestion, won't Even address the 7th battery question...but I bet this sucker is Brrrrright!

Azecos

Newly Enlightened
I don't now the bin, I got it from ledsupply.com.
From now on I'll follow your suggestion to leave the batteries out for a day. (first time I'd put them right in after charging, all I can say that it was super bright when I lit it.

Next step is to mod my reflector to get a smoother beam.
Is there such thing as chrome-paint I can use to fix a reflector which is worn?

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
I'd either get an Acrylite lens from Otokoyama or one of his speckled aluminum Carley reflectors. The Acrylite lens over your newer Mag reflector will clean up the beam beautifully at the expense of a few lux, but your light is very bright to begin with so you will not notice unless you have a light meter handy.

flash....

Enlightened
Azecos... Nice mod!
I would not even think of going to 7 cells.
I lost two LS (popped) with my first15 Watts of TRI (Ion) Flux The vf on the LS's were too low and the current\internal resistance of 9000Mah D-cells was just to much. I then replaced all three LS's with VWAV's.. this solved the problem.. I was also running three in parallel providing more protection than running a single LS.
Be careful, it will pop if pushed too hard. You could not be in better hands with that hotlips heatsink though... they are awesome.