What type of LED do I have (Quark)???????

Lightingman

Newly Enlightened
So a long while back I bought a Quark X2, and the details given were that it was a XML LED, and unfortunately I lost it. So I purchased another one since it was so great, but this one is a Quark QP2A-X, and I could have sworn that the details listed that same XM-L light. I even looked up an old thread asking why they don't upgrade the light, because they did give it a new name. But as I see it listed on the website, they state the QP2A is XM-L2..........

So how do I know for sure?

yifu

Enlightened
The XML and XML2 LEDs look vastly different for one, the XML2 is more orange and missing the bond wires, whereas the XML gen1 is more yellow and the die area is separated into 6 parts by the bond wires.

sticktodrum

Enlightened
^What he said. Also Foursevens tends to put a sticker on their packaging when they upgrade the LED. Usually it's on the bottom, and it'll be a small sticker that would say "XM-L Gen 2".

TEEJ

Flashaholic
8561877603_02ec93c9c2_o.jpg

XM-L2

8562985600_392e516130_o.jpg

XM-L

Look at the LED, and see which it is.

:D

Lightingman

Newly Enlightened
So sad was hoping I was special. Oh well, looks like I have another light to buy, lol.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
The name change was part of their full rebranding exercise (spring 2012?) and has nothing to do with the emitter versions. I wouldn't bother upgrading from an XML to XM-L2 for lumens, you generally won't get a 20% bump, although CREE states so, and even if you do, it will not be noticeable to the eye. Upgrading for tint is a different matter though.

Enjoy your current light.

Lightingman

Newly Enlightened
The name change was part of their full rebranding exercise (spring 2012?) and has nothing to do with the emitter versions. I wouldn't bother upgrading from an XML to XM-L2 for lumens, you generally won't get a 20% bump, although CREE states so, and even if you do, it will not be noticeable to the eye. Upgrading for tint is a different matter though.

Enjoy your current light.

They didn't upgrade the brightness, they upgraded the run-time, which is worth it to me. Also they have what they call Second generation cool white.

Latest posts