L5 Lens Cap Removal?

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
Does anybody know any tricks for getting the lens cap off from the L5? SF must use loctite or something on it.

I noticed when I got the L5 that the lens was filthy. I took my SimaPen to it and cleaned it up, but half of the dust and smudges were on the inside of the lens.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
try heating it in boiling water to soften the loctite, or if you're lucky and the person who assembled your unit didn't use too much loctite, gripping it with rubber gloves and twisting should loosen the cap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
FlashlightOCD,

You may have some dificulty cleaning the inside of the window without damaging the AR coating unless it's loose dust that can be removed with a soft brush or little pressure with a micro fiber cloth. Heating will surely make the job easier.

grnamin

Enlightened
In the absence of rubber gloves, rubber bands wrapped around the two separate pieces works, too. Might be bsst to try blowing away the foreign matter with an air can first so as not to touch the lens surface.

mporter

Newly Enlightened
Is the anti-reflective coating used on the L5 more delicate than those on camera lenses and binoculars?

[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
FlashlightOCD,

You may have some dificulty cleaning the inside of the window without damaging the AR coating unless it's loose dust that can be removed with a soft brush or little pressure with a micro fiber cloth. Heating will surely make the job easier.

[/ QUOTE ]

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
Thanks All,

I've decided to just live with it ... it is just something that bothers anal retentive types like myself. No normal person would probably even notice.

It is mostly a few specs of dust, but also a tiny smudge that would require touching the lens. I would think the SimaPen would be safe since it was designed for camera lens [like mported pointed out] ... not true?

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
i would hazard a guess and say that the large majority of us here are pretty anal retentive, with all the fussing about LED tints and beam artifacts you hear /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif btw i think you could also try using rubbing alcohol to rinse the lens...you wouldn't even have to touch it that way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif