Wooden LED lantern

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys, haven't been here for a few years, feels good to be back and to see how fast the LED technology evolved :)

Camping season started, we've done a few trips already this year. Apart from headlamps we don't have much lighting gear on us, so I was thinking to make a simple lantern. As recently I'm making a lot of things out of wood, I made a quick sketch of the lantern and started carving from a solid piece of oak wood (this wood comes from a 200 year old building so it's extremely dry and hard to work on).

Here's the sketch and what I came up with so far :
2wdyn0w.jpg

The lower part is hollow and should fit 6 AA (maybe even 8) cells. The wires will be run through the pillars of the lantern, and in the head I'll make space for an LED. I want it to output max 1000 lumen, and potentiometer dimmable. Also thinking of making a copper 'roof' on the lantern which can be connected to the LED heatsink to draw away all the heat from the driver and the LED.

So far I found I could use the Taskled H6CC or the LED Dimmer Slave V4 drivers, if you have any other suggestions, feel free to post here :) For the LED I'm thinking of the Cree XML2 2700K.

Will post more pics as this little project continues :)

Cheers!