How did you heatsink your maglite?

Bauer

Newly Enlightened
I am wanting to mod my 2D and was wondering what you guys were using for "homemade" heatsinks. I am running an U2 @ 3A right now on a scrap piece of 1/2 copper pipe in place of the tower but i am afraid to run it on high for more than a few seconds because it gets really hot.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am wanting to mod my 2D and was wondering what you guys were using for "homemade" heatsinks. I am running an U2 @ 3A right now on a scrap piece of 1/2 copper pipe in place of the tower but i am afraid to run it on high for more than a few seconds because it gets really hot.

If you want to keep the emitter from cooking itself for dinner, you NEED to provide a thermal path from the emitter to the body of the light. And trying to use anything resembling the stock tower will NOT give you this. You will need to either get something like an H22A heatsink of custom make one that fits inside the body and can be tightened against it with some sort of wedging mechanism. Also, you will either need to cut out the tower and solder in wires or rig up something similar to a Malkoff drop-in (which uses the stock tower and bulb socket). Any way you go, you are going toose your cammed focusing.