The L4 advantage

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I received a lovely KL4/Q3J from Chop yesterday and took it with me along with a regular L4, 5W McModule and LSH-P, when My GF and I went out last night. (She's a good sport about my Flashaholism; I know I'm lucky).

We started up a flight of about 30 steps leading to a large plaza. The steps were very dark gray and maybe 25 feet wide, illuminated by small lights set into adjacent side walls. The lights on one side were out and that area of the steps was very dark. Aha! Out comes the Q3J: very nice and bright but narrow. Then the LSH-P: wider but relatively dim. The McModule: Very nice, quite wide and bright. Finally the L4: Perfect! It brightly illuminated a huge area of stairs and impressed the two of us, and was appreciated by other pedestrians who were astounded that such a broad swath of white light could come from a tiny little light.

Sure, the L4 doesn't project very well but for broad, bright near field illumination it is truly superb.

Btrightnorm

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brightnorm, it's really interesting how real world experiences shape and change our perspectives about light and especially our lights which sure look different when not focused on a wall in our homes. I've come to the same conclusion about my L4 and KL4 which are some of my favorite edc's.

rodmeister

Enlightened
I'm an ARC fan, and my LS1 is very compact for a good amount of light. I've been lusting for their LS4 but unable to wait, I purchased the Surefire L4. I thought it would be too big for EDC, but despite it's size, it's become my favorite light over my beloved LS1.

Any technical people out there know if it's practical for Surefire to design an accessory fresnel or other lens for the rare times we need a narrow beam?

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brightnorm, insightful review as usual. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif The L4 is the best SF by far, it was the E2e. I really like the broad flood, I think throw is over-rated.

I foolishly sold mine but I have another on the way from Tactical Warehouse. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
brightnorm,
I agree with you. I wouldn't say that throw is over rated because throw is what you need at times; however, the L4 is probably the perfect light to carry, for me anyway. It gladly accepts a rechargeable and runs well on an E1e body. My biggest problem with the L4 is the heat and relatively short run time.

I have another KL4 coming in and my intention is to bias it for 500mA and see what kind of dent that puts in runtime and heat.

John Frederick

Enlightened
Working in an unlit storage trailer will really let you appreciate the L4. It's almost too bright, but that wall of light is just awsome. I just wish it was easier to hold in my mouth when I need both hands free.

Noah Monk

Newly Enlightened
<font color="blue"> I really like the broad flood, I think throw is over-rated. </font>

couldn't agree more. throw is highly over-rated. Sure, the E2e has better throw than the L4, but practically speaking this does me little to no good most of the time. Basically, I can't see far enough in the dark for the throw of the e2e to make a difference for me. It allows me to throw a spot on something I can't really make out anyway. I suppose for tactical use or to simply spot motion, throw makes a big diff, but not to me in 99.999% of situations! Yep, that percentage comes straight from my scrupulously-kept light log...

L4 all the way, man! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
McGizmo (the zen master of flashaholism) has an interesting take on this question and I agree with him (I hope I'm not misinterpreting him). He basically says that for close-up illumination you want a wide angle while for longer distances you need a tight beam. However, for close up, normally you don't need that much brightness (e.g. the L4 being "too bright" in the trailer). The conclusion is that lower powered lights should be floods and higher powered lights should have tight beams. The L4 is really on the high powered side of things so I've had some reservations about getting one. For indoor and close-up use, a 1 watt led has been more than bright enough. Whenever I've needed more than 1 watt, it's been because I wanted to light something far away, which means a wide beam isn't appropriate.

rlhess

Enlightened
After seeing the measurements for the L5, I have decided to pass, despite the fact that I am impressed!

The L5 is just too big for EDC and the L4 gives enough light for almost anything I do close in. With that said, when looking for lost things at night around the yard, etc., a longer throw is really useful.

I have placed an advance order for an L6 with Tactical Warehouse.

When it arrives, I'll have TWO Surefire Trios
Original: 3x 9P with
KL3
P90
SRTH/N2
optional in kit: 1 additional P90 and 2 P91s

New Surefire Trio:
E2e w/ KL1 (long run time, moderate light
L4
L6

The New Surefire Trio will be my EDC with the E2e and L6 in my bag and the L4 on me with a spare set of batteries plus an Arc LE for backup.

While I don't expect the L6 to beat the SRTH, I expect it to come close to the incandescent SL TL3 that is now carried in my bag.

Anyway, I agree that the L4 has an advantage for many things.

And, size DOES matter. Smaller is better in this instance.

Cheers,

Richard

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I worked during a shutdown at our plant the other night, and had to check out 5 sets of equipment, plugs, straps, cap covers, wheels, belts, water, oil, and gas lines, along with making a few trips into a cluttered, unlit room full of breakers marked with writing that is faded and barely legible.
The Rayovac 2D lights that are given out have a tiny spot, and dim spill. Lights like the SL 4AA7LED, the SL Septor now mounted on my hardhat, the KL1, etc. are much better, but cannot begin to compare with the L4. The combination of brightness and flood is incredible.
No more pointing the light this way and that, or hunching over and squinting to make out details. No more going from one breaker box to the next, trying to make out the writing on each one individually. No more getting close to equipment to check it out or find a problem when we are running, or crouching under a cupola that melts rocks, slings 3000 degree molten slag all around, and drops streams of hot grit whenever the raw materials are dumped in the top, while sticking my hand (and flashlight) in a cabinet with three sets of motors and belts turning wheels at 4500+ rpm just to see what's going on.
Sure the L4 is an expensive toy that's fun to play with, and has plenty of uses from day to day, but I've quickly realized that it also makes doing my job faster, easier, and safer.
btw, I bought Terminator 3 on DVD this past week, and wound up watching all 3 in the series. In part 2 where he asked the terminator, "can you see anything?", Ahhnold replied "I see everything".
I know the feeling!

Yeah, I'm sold.

paulr

Flashaholic
I wonder whether a McLux PR head on an E2e body with a suitable 5 watter and converter might outthrow the L4 while staying smaller than the L5.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I agree about the L4 and the cool flood it produces, and I especially like the aspect that it can easily pump out enought photons to guide a whole group of people in the darkness ...

paulr ... the McLux-PR with an X3T is brighter and throws better than the L4, I have two og them and I like them quite a bit!

bernhard

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
While the L4 has a broad beam, I also use something to make it broader and more diffused:

L4 with Cap - Picture

A Poland Springs bottle cap. It fits perfectly and is a good diffuser for working with stuff near you. Kind of OT, but there you go.

//Dan

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also like the L4 for close-up objects. Like Dan, for the really close work, I cap the L4 with a diffuser for an even broader beam. I have chosen a more expensive option, a SF F04 Beam Diffuser. It worked really nicely the other night when I had to go outside to sputter a little clear paint on a reflector I was modding.

But I had to hold the light in my mouth to do the job. John Frederick said, "I just wish it was easier to hold in my mouth when I need both hands free." My experience, too. I don't enjoy chewing on the L4. The knurling is nice in the hand, but not on the lips. It's not as tasty as the Arc LS. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Paul

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
For close up work I just use the edge or "spill" light. Problem solved. But for mid range it rocks. The ability to light up a pitch black yard is sweet.

The L5 is no brighter but bigger and nowhere near as sleek. The only advantage is a tad more throw and grip rings. I'm taking a pass too.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
For my uses, the L4 is just about the perfect EDC. And I do mean EDC. It's on me all the time. Recently, I've been sleeping in the guest room because I have a horrible cough and I don't want to keep my wife up. Since I don't have a spare Palight in this room, I keep the L4 clipped in my jammy pants waistband. I use it for every conceivable lighting need around the house and outside. Up close or night vision preservation is no problem. I just grip the head with my fingers and use them as variable shutters. It is the only light I use that justifies a pair of $31 Pila 168S Li-Ions as the powerpack rotation. I figure that by the end of December, they'll be paid for and I'll start to be ahead. That's 48 SF123s. When I'm walking around the house at night for final rounds, I'm usually carrying baby bottles and laundry and stuff. I clip the L4 to my rear belt loop and click it on. The bounce light is more than sufficient for me to light my way around.

The only "bad" thing about having found this light...I have become intolerant of sub-optimal lighting conditions. I guess that's the price to pay for perfect, on-demand, guilt-free illumination.

Wilkey

Earlier on, I was really hot in anticipation for the L5. Now that the initial reports and impressions have come out, I know it merits no place in my lighting arsenal.

torment

Newly Enlightened
I'm sure this question has been answered before but..

What does it take to run the L4 of pilas? Do I need anything special? I'm going to get one for christmas here very soon. Wouldn't mind saving on some batteries. TIA.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
All you need is the battery and the charger. The only "slight" complication is that some batts come with flattish positive nipples. In this case, I apply a small solder blob, sand it flat, clean the excess flux with orange solvent, wipe with 90% alcohol and then seal it with DeOxit. I guess you can tell I take my electrical contact points seriously /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Once your torch is up on rechargeables, you might be like me and find yourself using it much more frequently and spoiling yourself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wilkey