British made?

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
There are loads of threads on USA made flashlights but I can't seem to find anything for lights made in the UK, open to all formats at the moment- spotlight/keychain/headlamp etcetc...

So far I've found a load of 'vintage' stuff (Eveready etc) but I was after something a bit more modern. I've added Lummi, 'Dragon Lights?' and Trout Lights to my list, any others?

TIA

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
Cheers TEEJ, I had actually spotted the first one earlier but couldn't find much 'Made in the UK' labling.

Seems like I have a lot of choice if I want some kind of ruggedised spotlight, I wonder if there just isn't the demand for a 2-4*AA sized light.

Underwater Kinetics (UK lights) is really hampering this search...:ohgeez:

dougie

Enlightened
Without wanting to sound unpatriotic we don't do flashlights very well. The very few UK companies who make or design them either use outdated technology or designs. If you want the best flashlights look towards the American marketplace. If you want the best head torches the Germans and French lead the way. If you want cheap then China has the world market wrapped up! :)

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
Without wanting to sound unpatriotic we don't do flashlights very well. The very few UK companies who make or design them either use outdated technology or designs. If you want the best flashlights look towards the American marketplace. If you want the best head torches the Germans and French lead the way. If you want cheap then China has the world market wrapped up! :)

I completely agree, I don't really think its un-patriotic, just accepting that 'we' just don't do torches very well. Im sure the 'in country's tech is sufficient, just let down by manufacturing. I was mainly after a UK light list for interest and to confirm, on the whole, 'we just don't do lights very well!'

Yeah, I know :shakehead. Its a real shame because I think the lights are really nice... Though not nice enough to make me want to risk dealing with Lummi.

Imon

Enlightened
Why even bring up Lummi?

I know the lights are well made and they sell fast on the B/S/T forum but that's because it's faster and more reliable to buy one on CPF rather than buying one from Rob.

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
Why even bring up Lummi?

I know the lights are well made and they sell fast on the B/S/T forum but that's because it's faster and more reliable to buy one on CPF rather than buying one from Rob.

I brought Lummi up as, despite the awful track record I am aware of, I thought they were made in the UK? Am I wrong?

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
It's not production problems so much as business model problems.

He accepts every purchase order, lies about availability, sells lights already promised to others and when he doesn't feel like sending someone a refund or light, he just ignores them while he spends their money.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not production problems so much as business model problems.

He accepts every purchase order, lies about availability, sells lights already promised to others and when he doesn't feel like sending someone a refund or light, he just ignores them while he spends their money.
Yep, that sounds like my experience with lummi :shakehead. Lots of lies, "No batteries" "no leds at the moment" "no trits" etc... for months... and at the same time i saw lots of pepole getting their freshly ordered lummi..
Asked to get my money back, but more lies.. "I'll send tomorrow", "I'll send next week"..Made a complaint to paypal.. And finally got my money back. Not going to support lummi, not even going to get a used light, even if it is dirt cheap.

tomfruit

Newly Enlightened
What about Pifco? I know they were a British company, but whether they still are or not, I dont know. I recently bought a Pifco 4D cell torch/flashlight. Its pretty good, but then my standards aren't particularly high.

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
People who have owned British cars or motorcycles realize that the reason they don't make flashlights there is because they haven't figured out how to make them leak oil.

And, can you imagine, a Lucas flashlight?

With great fondness for the U.K. and my many friends there,

c_c

StarHalo

Flashaholic
People who have owned British cars or motorcycles realize that the reason they don't make flashlights there is because they haven't figured out how to make them leak oil.

I dunno, something with chrome bezels, some swarthy walnut, a tweed grip, the Union Jack engraved into the brass switch with some official-looking text about what Year of our Lord this light entered service...

Norm

Retired Administrator
And, can you imagine, a Lucas flashlight?

8811422401_ce022af62e_o.jpg

Norm

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I dunno, something with chrome bezels, some swarthy walnut, a tweed grip, the Union Jack engraved into the brass switch with some official-looking text about what Year of our Lord this light entered service...

The closest thing I have to something like that is a vintage SF 6P with a wooden wrapped barrel. It does remind me of the gorgeous wood trim found in British cars from the "good old days" of motoring.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

You are very wrong about the Chinese,you would be very surprised who gets there product made over there when in fact you thought it was made elsewhere.