5/6 LEDs or will they get brighter.

fredted40x

Newly Enlightened
Hi.

Just waiting for a download to finish at work and started thinking.

After lights like the TM26 what will they do next.

Can they really get much more light out of LEDs or will they have to add more LEDs?

Comparing it to computers and their processors they are just adding more cores at the mo. are they going to do the same with lights?

Thanks

Thought there was a future of lights thread on one of the forums but can I find it on tapatalk. Don't think it was about this though.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
The future of lights was to show max efficiency of a given emitter, from what I read.

As for the question, yes when we run out of new emitters to drool over the trend is multi emitter lights become more common, and the current quad emitter lights are pretty sweet. I don't know that the big manufacturers will go much higher than 4 led's, the over seas budget brands will.
The Sst90, MTG2 and a few other led's haven't been used in multi emitter stock lights yet. I'd love to see a 6k lumen triple MTG2 light, not sure if it'll ever happen do to the voltage requirement being a hoaky 6 volts.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is probably a theoretical limit to just how bright a single emitter can be, but I doubt we've reached that point.

JargonGR

Newly Enlightened
As battery technology progresses, (look here for just to get an idea of where batteries are going) coupled with better single emitter efficiency we will see more output within the existent heat envelopes.

Manufacturers actually have 4 main limiting factors to deal with upon designing (power, led efficiency, form factor, heat dissipation) and right now, although new to flashlights, I believe they have found the right balance in the area of 700-900 lumens. Adding multiple emitters just for the sake of doing it and with useless run rimes (power & heat) is not going to lead to more sales. Even now, most flashlights can't even maintain turbo modes for more than just a few minutes.

I would be more impressed if my Trustfire mini could sustain 400-500 lumens for 2 hours rather than seeing a 5,000 lumens (true) 6 headed beast in the form of a TM28. I am not saying I would never buy a TM28 with six heads but it does not feel as impressive as far as I am concerned. I see it more as a tool rather than a toy to have a huge light in your hands in order to get a specific job done. All I know though is that I am into flashlights just for fun but I am inventing uses just to keep going.

fredted40x

Newly Enlightened
Edit: tapatalk only showed the first post until I replied so this post might not make sense

In some ways it's a shame when they start adding multiples as you know individuals are getting as best as they can.

I'm still waiting for my TM26. Have just received the D25C and when it works i am stunned at how bright it is. Think my heads going to explode when I finally receive my TM26 for the first time.

They have moved on a little from my m20 warrior from a few years ago.

I guess they will have to move up the batteries sizes next to run em at higher volts

Last edited: