Red LS 1w question on Max current.

flash....

Enlightened
Just curious to get a sound out from everyone on the maximum current you have sucessfully driven a 1watt Red LS with? 400ma, 600ma?? etc...
Can I drive one without damage using a BB700?? I have not messed with Red much.
Thanks in advance for any experiences. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't bother overdriving a red luxeon. The performance degridation due to heat outweighs any extra light you'll get past 400mA. The red has a higher thermal resistance to the slug than a white does, and suffers much more from a high junction temperature too.

For instance, at Tj=80C, a red is only producing 60% of the light it would produce if the junction were at 25C. A white, on the other hand, will still produce 80% of the light as at 25C.

The Vf of a red will also increase faster than a white. I tested a red-orange at 600mA, and its Vf went up to 4V.

So, let's assume you want to run it at 600mA. Let's also assume you have a perfect heat sink to the star board (20C/W J-A thermal resistance), with an ambient of 25C

At 1W (350mA), Tj=25C, you would produce 44 lumens. However, your Tj would be 45C (25C + 20C thermal resistance), so (looking at the derating graph) you would be putting out 0.8 * 44 = 35 lumens.

Now, let's run it at 600mA. Your Vf will probably be 3.8V. Your junction temp will be 2.28*20 + 25 = 70C. Let's assume that at 600mA, you're putting out 1.3 times the light. So at Tj=25C, output would be 57 lumens. But, if we factor in a Tj of 70+25=95C. At 95C, output is reduced to 50%, so an output of about 29 lumens. By overdriving, you're actually reducing the light output.

flash....

Enlightened
Holy cow!
Ask, and ye shaw recieve /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So... translation would be, slightly overdrive and keep it really cool with lots of heatsink. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks Evan! understood.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of these days, I'll make a chart of expected light output vs. current for whites and reds. Can't tonight, the fiance's over /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
evan9162 said:
One of these days, I'll make a chart of expected light output vs. current for whites and reds. Can't tonight, the fiance's over /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like the perfect opportunity to give her a lecture on dynamic resistance. Although you run the risk of having the wedding called off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I haven't overdriven reds, but I've overdriven ambers. They don't get much brighter. They just get ouchy hot, and the color shifts to orange a bit. Not a pretty sight.