Energizer high tech LED keychain: LED swap?

Rees

Enlightened
I've had this light for probably 2 years now and use it on and off. I loved that it was short and made of metal. The best part was that it you dont have to hold the button. It has a few modes too, high low and blink, and if its left on it turns itself off in 30min.

Only thing I hate is that the light color is a ugly purple.:eeew:
(photo doesnt quite relay how purple this really is)

Looking for a option to possibly change out the LED for something whiter. Guessing that its going be simple as soldering in a new LED? Dont know which LED would be best option, because according to energizers website it says it now has a nichia LED so I'm not sure if mine has one or not. Nevertheless its not very good as it stands now and I feel like changing it out. Looking for alittle guidance on which one and maybe where to buy a quality LED.

Pics of inside

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Looks pretty easy to swap a new one in. I recommend a cree 5mm LED if the purple bothers you as they tend to have a higher quality more consistant tint than the generic 5mm LEDs and the Nichias have tended to be purplish even though they are probably more efficient (brighter) they tend to look more ugly.

Rees

Enlightened
Another thing I had considered would be a flat-top LED. As I understand it has a broader beam, but I'm not sure if I would like that either..... Too many possibilties, any opinions for this light pretty much used occasionally to find stuff and not really used for any distance more than say 10'.

Rees

Enlightened
Ok, so not to be impatient, but I figured I would experiment on a lighthound keychain light. Pretty much the same as the energizer light aside from the fact that it is a blue, cool white color. So I took out the dremel and went to work on the led. Came out pretty good for a first try.

Heres some beamshots now
10'
energizer

dedomed LH (as stated, very blue)

3' (celing tiles 1'X1')
energizer

dedomed LH (didnt have wide enough lens but light was pretty much effective for 9' diameter)

Last edited:

sunny_nites

Enlightened
Wow, that's blue. Looks like it did widen the beam up quite a bit though.

They're kind of expensive for a keychain light but the X-Light Micro has a great, warm beam, if you want to try something new. Also, I really like the infinitely variable brightness settings.

treehugger

Newly Enlightened
Shucks! i just ordered this light for the purpose of the nichia led. i was hoping for 5000k color. Oh well, guess i can always send back. Thanks for info!