Sunwayman D40A - Another 4AA compact thrower

Dubois

Enlightened
I just clicked the SWM ad here on CPF, and found this.

Popular things, 4xAA throwers.

Low of 30 lumens will clearly not be to everyone's liking, though the high of 980 may. Nice battery holder too.

Edit>> In fact it has a moonlight mode, of around 1 lumen. Nice.

Last edited:

PapaLumen

Enlightened
Re: New Sunwayman D40A - Another 4AA compact thrower

Interesting. Not sure about the switch.. Looks nice but I suspect the price to be $$$. If it comes in at the price of the Nitcore EA4 then it goes on my list.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast

980 for 3 minutes. I wonder if heat sinking is the same as the EA4? That is, using that thin disc? What gets me is the line "effective heat-sink" but that could mean a couple of things.

Interesting lanyard attachment ..

Looks like it 4 AA in series too. If this comes in a neutral, the EA4w may be off my list .. which is staying off at the moment because the low isn't low enough, sort of like this one.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've been looking for a 4 x AA light for my sister. This looks interesting. It does mention having a "moon mode", I wonder what it is. They seem to have made an error in listing brightness/runtime figures. They list 550 lumes for 1.7 hours and 220 lumens for 1.8 hours. Hmmmmm

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast

It does mention having a "moon mode", I wonder what it is.

Oh, I missed that. Yes you are right:
When the light is turned off, press and hold the upper M button to enter Aviation Signal; press and hold the on/off button for Moon Mode.
Interesting, annoying that you may have to go into a flashing mode before moon mode though. I think this just move above the EA4 in my purchase list ...

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast

Interesting, annoying that you may have to go into a flashing mode before moon mode though.

No, you misunderstood because of their fragmented sentence.

It really says "When the light is off, press and hold the on/off power button for Moon Mode."

The size is a little bigger than the 4xAA EA4 which is in turn bigger than the Eagletac 3xAA GX25A3.

However, one of the more notable differences here is an op reflector,
even though it lists 25,000 lux.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

Low of 30 lumens will clearly not be to everyone's liking, though the high of 980 may. Nice battery holder too.
I was hoping to see a different body shape when I saw it was a 4xAA, but I could easily see wanting one of these as a boating light, where a low of 30 lumens would be just fine.

Thanks for finding this one.

Craig K

Enlightened

This light looks nicer than the EA4.

kj2

Flashaholic

Well it sure looks good :) -this light will looks good next to my GX25A3 :D
Only it comes with a OP reflector I see, I prefer smooth. But still, will be on my to-buy list :)

Last edited:

__philippe

Enlightened

This light looks nicer than the EA4.

...but it's burdened with a separate battery carrier, unlike the superior EA4's integral milled-in battery slot design
(similar to the GX25A3's design, for that matter)

__philippe

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic

...but it's burdened with a separate battey carrier, unlike the superior EA4's integral milled-in battery slot design
(similar to the GX25A3's design, for that matter)

__philippe

Milled-in battery slot is nicer but also has patent-rights on that design.

cancow

Newly Enlightened

I like it, but I will never buy another light that does not have a sub 1 lumen mode. There really ison excuse for manufactures to make lights without very low lows.

kj2

Flashaholic

I like it, but I will never buy another light that does not have a sub 1 lumen mode. There really ison excuse for manufactures to make lights without very low lows.
Well there is a excuse for. Why do you want to have such a "big" light with a 1lumen mode?? long runtime? that's probably the only reason. I say if you need a 1/2/5 lumen mode, grab a small 1*AAA/AA/CR123 light.

Dubois

Enlightened

The D40A does have a moonlight mode, though I'm not certain what that level is yet. I like moonlight modes, but don't want them on every light I buy. Horses for courses, imho.

kj2

Flashaholic

The D40A does have a moonlight mode, though I'm not certain what that level is yet. I like moonlight modes, but don't want them on every light I buy. Horses for courses, imho.

Would be indeed handy from SWM to tell how much moon-mode is ;)

cancow

Newly Enlightened

Because I am a minimalist. I don't want to have to search for 2 flashlights when the power goes out.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

+1
It wouldn't bother me to have moonlight available on all my lights, but particularly on one this large I see it as just an additional plus. I really didn't think a 30lumen low sounds so high for something so large, even though I might prefer it be lower.

Would be indeed handy from SWM to tell how much moon-mode is ;)
+1 on this post as well.
Come on Sunwayman and tell us what it is.

Latest posts