Melted Switch Cover on Nitecore EA4 -- Pix + Questions

jak

Enlightened
So, I left my EA4 in its holster, in my Maxpedition pack in the car today for about an hour (during my lunch break).
I'm somewhat surprised seeing as how it wasn't exceedingly hot today.

Anyway, does anyone here have experience with Nitecore's warranty service? Their site doesn't give me much confidence that I'll hear back from them anytime soon.
Is there a chance something like this would even be covered?
OR, do you know if there are switch cover replacements?

I'm bummed, this light quickly became one of my favorites.
Thanks for your help you may have in advance.

cpf-ea4-melted1.jpg

cpf-ea4-melted2.jpg

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow, most pictures I've seen had that switch pop out like a pimple but that is a growth.

Nitecore isn't too bad with it's warranty but you should try your dealer first.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
That really is terrible. What are Nitecore using for the switch cover material if it stretches like that?

Is the EA4 still functioning (albeit with a bubble switch)?

Was the light in lockout or standby?

What was the outside temperature and did you know how hot the car got?

When did you actually find this damage? (was it very soon, meaning you were able to feel how hot is got in the bag, or only much later?)

So, trying to be fair about this lets step through the circumstances:

Personally I have recorded maximum temperatures around 60-65°C in my car. Doing some web searches they seem to suggest 50°C is more normal maximum for an unshaded car.

Even taking 65°C, (on a day where it was 28°C outside), the light was inside a pack, so was insulated from that maximum temperature.

There would have been some expansion of the air inside the EA4 from ambient to the car temperature. This expansion could have created some ballooning of the switch cover, but surely should have popped the cover out rather than stretching it like this.

jak

Enlightened
Did the batteries vent or leak?
That's the first thing I checked upon noticing the tumor of a switch. All good.
In fact, in the same bag, I had my Zebralight SC600, Streamlight Stylus Pro, a fancy Japanese pen, and even my Nexus 7 tablet. Those weren't phased a bit.

I would think that a light like this should be able to withstand more than this. Especially for such a (relative) short period of time.

Is the EA4 still functioning (albeit with a bubble switch)?
Yes, it seems that the rubber cover holds down a part of the switch to keep in place. So that is kinda floating around under the bubble. But when it's lined up/in place, I can operate the light.

Was the light in lockout or standby?
Standby

What was the outside temperature and did you know how hot the car got?
According to weather.com, yesterday's high was 88 degrees (F), so the temp was slightly less than that at this particular time of the day. Certainly it was hotter in the car, I don't have an estimate though. (I have tinted windows and no sunroof)

When did you actually find this damage? (was it very soon, meaning you were able to feel how hot is got in the bag, or only much later?)
Didn't see it until that night when I went to go use the light.

That is actually a heat activated anti-roll device.
Coolest feature ever! And best spin ever too! (get it? spin? anti-roll?)

cancow

Newly Enlightened
You should check out the other light forum under EA8 tear down. Not good...

arnold ziffle

Newly Enlightened
I had a similar thing happen. the light activated in my uniform pocket and got so hot I couldn't touch it. didn't feel it because the best blocked the heat. the cover didn't melt but was the size of a marble. once it cooled the cover shrunk back down but was a bit stretched out. I too have the loose rod that I have to wiggle to line up to use. I have a buddy that's a dealer and their cs takes about two months and about 15 dollars to ship. I have another one that the button looked like it got pregnant. poked some holes in it and it mostly went down. now I have a bunch of eneloops and am hesitant to but an ea8.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
poke the button and it should deflate.
don't even try to get a replacement switch boot.
i mean what's the point?
next time in the hot car, it will happen again.

why?
because you get the same cheap switch boot as replacement.
so why wouldn't it inflate again next time??

you can't fix stupid.

jak

Enlightened
poke the button and it should deflate.
don't even try to get a replacement switch boot.
i mean what's the point?
next time in the hot car, it will happen again.

why?
because you get the same cheap switch boot as replacement.
so why wouldn't it inflate again next time??

you can't fix stupid.

I wish it was a matter of just deflating, but it's stretched and warped, not just inflated.

I'd rather have a fixed light than a damaged one... would be my point to replacing it.

Not letting it stay in the car would fix the stupid.

Last edited:

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry you had to be the one to experience this...
I limit my EA4W usage to neighborhood nightly walks - EDC or travel use is out-of-scope. I have lights better suited for those purposes
Amazingly bad design flaw by Nitecore if problem is widespread.

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amazingly bad design flaw by Nitecore if problem is widespread.
I consider it the usual crap we have to put up with Nitecore. They have some really cool lights lately but they definitly have to invest much much more into propper R&D as well as quality control.

@jak: I´d get in touch with the dealer first. Usually it´s the better/faster way to get warrenty issues handled.

Eric

Last edited:

jak

Enlightened
@jak: I´d get in touch with the dealer first. Usually it´s the better/faster way to get warrenty issues handled.

I bought it from a seller on Amazon.com. I attempted to contact them and Amazon got back to me within 6 hours or so.
Amazon is paying to have it shipped back, and allowing me to re-order a new one with 1-day shipping for free. That's pretty sweet of them to clean up after Nitecore.

I'm proud to be Amazon Prime! Thank you Amazon.com, thank you fellow posters for the feedback and recommendations.

(Aside from the low melting point, my EA4 was flawless -no rattles or fitment issues. I hope the new one is too, I'll keep you all posted.)

Also @Verndog, you're freakin' hilarious!

Whatever you do...don't put a match to it!

cpf-ea4-snake.jpg

(poor man's photoshop)

Verndog

Enlightened
I bought it from a seller on Amazon.com. I attempted to contact them and Amazon got back to me within 6 hours or so.
Amazon is paying to have it shipped back, and allowing me to re-order a new one with 1-day shipping for free. That's pretty sweet of them to clean up after Nitecore.
I'm proud to be Amazon Prime! Thank you Amazon.com, thank you fellow posters for the feedback and recommendations.

Way to keep a sense of humor in a irritating situation Jak! After all, what choices do you have? Great to hear the seller is backing the light for you. After reading of this, and owning 2, I decided to poke 3 small holes in mine after the advise or Nitecore customer service rep (albeit questionable bandaid fix). Used a small needle and heated it to keep hole small and no issues yet. He claimed it wouldn't effect waterproof as the switch is sealed off...not sure I buy that, but it's better then the balloon / snake option. Just keep my thumb over the switch in rain anyway...working so far.