Zebralight SC52 & Lens/Window Dirt Question

sticktodrum

Enlightened
Hello folks, forgive the ignorance present in this question, but I figured it's worth asking at least. I noticed that dirt/dust/smudges/etc. show up much more prominently on my SC52 than other lights I have (say, my Olight S10, and some Foursevens Quarks & Minis). I've searched and read threads on lens cleaning, and usually have a Zeiss Lens Wipe handy when it's really gross or a quick puff doesn't knock the dust off.

I've noticed though that the SC52 shows more smudges, dust, and sometimes streaks from t-shirt cleaning (clean t-shirt, hasn't scratched a lens yet) than almost any other light.

I assume it has more to do with the bezel being very low in comparison to the other lights. I noticed that on the Olight S10 especially, the bezel extends a ways past the lens/window and there's some reflective kick-back (not a real term, just what I'm calling it) that mitigates the visibility of the junk on the lens itself. I came to this idea from noticing that I can't see much stuff on the lens when I turn it on high is bright ambient lighting, and when I cup my hand around the SC52's bezel so that light is hitting my hand, the visibility of the dust/smears seems to drop.

I've only got a few months of real flashlight interest and learning under my belt so I submit my questions and ideas to you guys for validation or correction. Is this really what's going on, or is the glass on an SC52 just more dust/dirt prone and harder to clean? I've got two of them, and they seem to act the same way.

Thank you gents.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you answered your own question. It is pretty simple...the SC52 bezel hardly sticks out at all, so the window is very near the end of the light, and thus collects more debris than a recessed window might, all else being equal. The smudges are more visible for the same reason.

sticktodrum

Enlightened
Thank you. :)

So, does dust or smudge significantly affect the performance of the light? I haven't noticed much happening on the beam, so I figure there isn't much happening...

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
It may have a measurable impact if you measure it with a light meter - anything that isn't completely transparent will reduce the light output a little. But if you can't tell, I'm not sure it matters either way. You are likely to notice beam artifacts before you would notice it getting dimmer, but in either case a simple swipe with a microfiber cloth, or running a little water over it will clear it right up.