Diplomat's equipment in the news

ajl

Newly Enlightened
I was looking at the photo of the equipment of the US Diplomat that is in the news (www.wired.com/dangerroom/2013/05/russia-spy) and it appears to me that he had a black mini-mag (incandescent?) with a Surefire filter. I would like to think that was one of the newer, brighter and longer running Mini-Mag Pro Led lights, but looking at the other items displayed, I'm guessing it's a inexpensive incandescent.

Showmethelight

Newly Enlightened
Im no spy but if I was I doubt I'd carry a 3000 lumen triple A light no where to be found on the planet, the less attention you can draw to yourself/gear...

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Yeah, I sure hope that's "low profile" equipment; I'd hate to think what the spooks would make of my Zebralight/Leatherman/Cammenga..

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
If he's really a spy his luck to go undetected would match his taste in flashlights!
I don't think a decent LED flashlight would draw much attention, for sure much less than a stack of $500 bills in your pocket...

Norm

Retired Administrator
Looks like

8739809760_97c944bcfa_m.jpg

Norm

Showmethelight

Newly Enlightened
Beyond the stack of bills, those wigs are hilarious and the idea there would be an unciphered handwritten note detailing out a proposal is just as funny. It's like real life pink panther without happily bumbling out of trouble.

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
Is that a photon on the keychain under the SAK?

This story doesn't really add up, why not just use an anon email to email the russian bloke all that nonsense about "thanks, you will recieve more money for more information" instead of wandering around with bits of incriminating paper on your person?!

I do wonder whether this guy is legit, maybe he was just trying to impress a girl!? :laughing:

ragweed

Enlightened
I don't think he was trying to impress anyone IMO. He comes from Clayton Missouri which is a very upscale area in Saint Louis County, Mo. Most homes are 400,000 & up. This guy was born with a Solid Gold Spoon in his mouth. These people don't need to impress anyone!

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
I don't think he was trying to impress anyone IMO. He comes from Clayton Missouri which is a very upscale area in Saint Louis County, Mo. Most homes are 400,000 & up. This guy was born with a Solid Gold Spoon in his mouth. These people don't need to impress anyone!

No use being rich if you're boring! And spy is easier to fake than astronaut! :p I am only joking, I can't believe he's allowed to walk around with such blatant documentation (unless, it's been planted and he's being set-up :tinfoil:)