Anyone else who never made it onto the Facebook, Myspace, Twitter bandwagon?

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
~

Never have - Never will !

Won't put that much of my privacy on the internet.

Besides ... I'm Boring. Nobody cares what I'm doing anyway.

~

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only have a Facebook page to see pictures of my sister's family because they live many states away,

I don't post in it and use my tech savvy skills to be sure I keep things as private as possible,

When you are trying to get a job in law enforcement you realize you don't want/need social media in your life, at least not at this stage, lol...

I have seen arrests made because the uneducated general public didn't know how to hide their home address, HA!

Thought they could get away with a home B&E, the victim said she could ID the subject, they "the agency" had a run in with the supposed suspect a few days before, another buddy looked the name up on FB, found all the pics posted to public, victim confirmed, the suspect was arrested at their home address just two blocks away with ALL the property!

Priceless!

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I already did the whole social media thing, back when it was chat on a bulletin board system, then when they introduced instant messaging with AOL 3.0, fun stuff..

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's nuclear level self absorption letting everyone know what it is they are reading, commenting, consuming, sharing, +friending, and updating. A virtual soap box.

Before the internet era, people used to do that stuff on college campuses. Social activism was very large, they actually accomplished something with their physical numbers.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in my twenties, and I have no interest either. The privacy concerns are part of it (after the twelfth Facebook scandal, why anyone trusts them with their data is beyond me), but mostly I just don't see the point. Real friends don't need daily updates about what color shirt you are wearing...I prefer to connect in person and get into serious discussion, not blather on about minutiae online (unless it relates to flashlights - but I'm not the only one there :thumbsup:).

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
Facebook - OK - because my kids are not near. I only post non-people pictures. My information stored is close, but not accurate.

I don't post where I am going, maybe a quick post after I returned.

Too many years in the computer industry, I know how easy it is to gain personal information..

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I remotely get the appeal Facebook and Myspace, although I've never bothered with either. I figure you might want to put up some basic info about yourself in case you want to hook up with old friends. Beyond that, I don't much see the point. Some people update and check their Facebook account almost continually. That's not fun, it's a job.

I totally don't get the purpose of Twitter. What's the appeal of giving a play by play of your life practically down to when you have bowel movements? And who would care or bother to read about it? Not to mention who has the time to constantly check Twitter for updates. Same thing with instant messaging. I never got the point of it. Being IMed when you're doing something else on the computer is beyond annoying.

I don't really get texting, either. If you're using a phone, just talk. It's a much more efficient, personal way to communicate, although I don't much like phones, either, as a phone call represents an interruption to whatever you're doing. I'll stick to emails and PMs as my preferred methods of communication. I can read them and answer them on my schedule, not someone else's.

SemiMan

Banned
I remotely get the appeal Facebook and Myspace, although I've never bothered with either. I figure you might want to put up some basic info about yourself in case you want to hook up with old friends. Beyond that, I don't much see the point. Some people update and check their Facebook account almost continually. That's not fun, it's a job.

I totally don't get the purpose of Twitter. What's the appeal of giving a play by play of your life practically down to when you have bowel movements? And who would care or bother to read about it? Not to mention who has the time to constantly check Twitter for updates. Same thing with instant messaging. I never got the point of it. Being IMed when you're doing something else on the computer is beyond annoying.

I don't really get texting, either. If you're using a phone, just talk. It's a much more efficient, personal way to communicate, although I don't much like phones, either, as a phone call represents an interruption to whatever you're doing. I'll stick to emails and PMs as my preferred methods of communication. I can read them and answer them on my schedule, not someone else's.

I like texting and instant messaging on the phone. Often you need or want to communicate with someone but often both of you are not in setting that allows a phone conversation. Think of it like really short emails. Great for transferring information, terrible if the desired outcome is a co-operative thing ... like setting a meeting time that requires real time feedback. Perfect for teens as well, as they are much more responsive. Remember if you are being IMed, unlike a phone call, you do not need to respond right away.

I didn't get Twitter, but have found ways to make it useful, especially since RSS seems out of fashion. I follow magazines and some companies that interest me as well as some interesting business leaders in fields that interest me. It is my way of getting my professional news in the most condensed fashion. I would never in a million years follow some celebrity and no interest in self promoters who post 30 tweets a day that really are just a form of gorilla marketing .... they get unfollowed quickly. You do learn very fast who posts useful stuff and who does not.

Facebook .... I don't need another job!

Linkedin ... have to .... it's is work and job and has become a burden but unavoidable. In many ways it is the worst.

Semiman

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
don't have neither of them. don't have -plans to join anytime soon.

JVD 521

Newly Enlightened
I refused to do Facebook until I got an iPhone. It's so easy on there that I enjoy it. I'm horrible about keeping in touch with friends and family but Facebook makes it easy to see what's going on in their lives. Different strokes for different folks but I actually like it. Twitters another story, don't really see the point. I have an account but deleted most of the people I followed. Only two left are my city's traffic updates and LSU sports. Those are texted to me so I get real time info on when the interstate is FUBAR and scores/news about my favorite team.

Twitter.....Like I previously posted: never have, probably never will, but this is so cool! :twothumbs

The Greatest Conversations To Ever Happen On Twitter Between Real Astronauts And The Cast of Star Trek

http://www.cyberbuzz.com/2013/01/05/the-single-greatest-meme-to-ever-happen-on-twitter/

~ Chance

Again, a hat-tip, and much appreciation to StarHalo for posting the ISS/Chris Hadfield video.

This is basically what all music videos have been leading up to, what all science fiction writers had in mind when they were writing; a wistful song about a faraway future in space, which we all now sit down to watch on our internet devices..

StarHalo

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
No Facebook, no Myspace, but a twitter account that I haven't used in years. Got mine right before Oprah gave twitter a ton of publicity and everyone then simply had to have a twitter account. I remember when it was small and fun . . . Like a puppy.

Then it turned into a giant ugly dog full of mindless morons tweeting about how they're eating a fricking sandwich. :mad:

Thanks Oprah.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
One TED tv talk, the speaker pointed out the face.com was purchased by facebook.com. Face.com was facial recognition.

This means in a crowd, in a bar, etc., you will be able to snap a cell photo, zero in on any face. Then, the aggregator will be able to pull up their name, associated posts, phone numbers, addresses, properties own, booking photos, political opinions, credit score, and buying habits. Many uses. For example, you walk into the retail store, and they can instantly tell your buying preferences, then the sales people can walk up to you and sell you on your preferences.

Got to love facebook, linkedin, etc., and the face tagging.

Undoubtedly, this technology will be built into "Google glass"

I am inclined to believe facial recognition is yet another anti-check-and-balance tool, that will lead to inevitible despotism [that the founders sought to avoid through divisions]. We willingly walk into the mouth of the Lion for protection to avoid the Bear. Probably, it should be made illegal--at the very least, for private citizens.

Last edited: