Choosing a backpacking light...the cafe???

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why was the post about a Backpacking light moved to the cafe?

I thought this forum was all about "I need a light for a certain application" and getting advice.

artar

Enlightened
"I'm planning a week-long solo backpacking trip into the Trinity Alps in a few months. Last time I went hiking up there I heard many sounds that went "bump in the night" and I found myself ill-prepared to see well in all that beautiful darkness.

I need a tool (or tools) that would allow me to know what's "out there" for fun -- and to know what I'm up against (bears, critters, other hikers, etc.).

Weight is a concern, but I'm willing to push it a little bit in this area - even an extra pound or so of gear would be acceptable, if necessary. Budget is a moderate concern.

What would be smart? "
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">i read the backpacking topic twice and could only read between the lines that it has to do with (flash)lights.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
"...ill-prepared to see well in all that beautiful darkness"

Just seemed to me to be all about lights. Maybe I've just been hanging out on this forum too long?
smile.gif

"To a man with a hammer...everything looks like a nail."

Albany Tom

Enlightened
Well, you've described either a light, or maybe a minature radar system, or thermal imaging. I'd go with thermal imaging, but that's about $15,000, if that's out of your range I'd think about a flashlight.

For flashlights, I'd lean toward the PT Surge.

For topics, you probably need to put "I want a light to do..." somewhere in the top section, so as to not have bleary eyed moderators moving the topic.

cmassicotte

Newly Enlightened
Hmmmm.... On my first read this sure seemed to be about "what kind of light....."

A lighthearted request for sure, but to me, a real request for information, still on topic.

Just my two cents.

Chuck

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
My fault...Should have read it more carefully. I thought the post dealt with misc. backpacking implements, i.e. backpacks, stoves, and the like.

--dan

Moth

Newly Enlightened
Allow me to clarify: by "tools" I was generally thinking "flashlights" but I didn't want to be too narrow as this appears to be a pretty creative group and I'm looking for solutions. I really don't care where it's posted.

Should I now bring up abortion to make the topic more appropriate for the cafe?
wink.gif
wink.gif

2dogs

Enlightened
Dano, a stand up answer. Thanks.
For backpacking a headlamp is generally the best choice. My wife uses a Petzl Tikka 3-LED head lamp. Very small, runs on AAAs, quite bright. I still prefer an Arc AAA, same reasons. If you really need a brighter light I'd go with a SF such as a 6P oe E2E. You may also want to check out the Petzl Dou. http://www.caves.org/imo/lamps.htm
I'll bet you never need it though.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
ikendu,

Here are two useful threads.

HIKING LIGHT

HIKING LIGHT 2

A week alone in the mountains is no joke, especially in winter. I'm sure you're aware of various safety precautions, including letting people know where you're going and when you plan to return. Sorry to sound preachy, but I've seen some bad things happen in the Colorado Rockies.

Whatever else you take, I would suggest a long-burning direct drive Luxeon light like the MAG/Inretech (lithiums) or the Reactor (lithiums) as backup. These lights may not be the brightest, but they will both give you many hours of usuable light. They are very tough (I tested them VERY roughly) but I'm not sure how watertight they are. If you take them you might want to check that out. I would also suggest lanyards for both lights.

For a very bright light any 2x123 or 3x123 Surefire should do the job. For winter hiking I would strongly suggest lithiums in all your lights, whether LED or incandescant, plus spare batteries and spare lamps.

With lights and other things, when going into a potentially hazardous situation I believe that backup, preferably multiple backup and redundancy are prudent. If your cellphone works in the mountains it can be a lifeline.

Again, please pardon the "lecture".

Happy hiking,
Brightnorm

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys for all the advice...but, I started this thread with just a question about why Moth's post got moved. I'm not the backpacker...Moth is.
smile.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by ikendu:
Thanks guys for all the advice...but, I started this thread with just a question about why Moth's post got moved. I'm not the backpacker...Moth is.
smile.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
twak.gif

Bright Scouter

Enlightened
Well,

I'm going under the assumption that we still want answers to the original post, but in this thread.

If I am backpacking and weight is a consideration, I take,,,

The ARC AAA, since it never leaves my mini tools ring. I have a Leatherman Micra, ARC AAA, Cold Steel TuffLite knife and a tritium glow ring.

I also use a PT Aurora headlamp.

Then for a longer throw, I carry a SF G2-Y.

If I am not really backpacking far or for long, I usually substitue a G2R with a spare set of Lithiums.

If I am car camping, I use the G2R with a HOLA and 2 spare rechargeable batts.

Del

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd probably recommend taking an Eternalight (minus the Rave'n) with Lithium AAs. Waterproof. Super long runtime. Strobe and SOS modes. And reduced output capability for low light needs.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would bring several lights in a couple of catagories.

1) Bright light for those things that go bump in the night, signaling and searching. Two lights come to mind, the SF M2 w/LOLA or the UK 2L (or 4AA). The M2 is very rugged and has a nice beam. The 2L is cheaper, also rugged, longer runtime, mega waterproof but it has a so-so beam and is a twist-on. Since you (original poster) asked for a light for things that go bump in the night, I figure the twist on might be less optimal. In either case I would bring a spare LA and some spare batteries. I would bring a SF V72 holster for the M2.

2) Task/utility light - the main light you grab when you need to do something in the dark. I could see this either as:

Something about 3 LEDs and AA batteries. Preferably regulated. I think the AA Minimag w/Newbeam, glass lens and Kroll tailcap are good, but there are other good options out there.

-or-

Regulated LS. My choice would be a AA Minimag with Badboy 400mA, glass lens and Kroll tailcap.

I think I would lean towards the Newbeam because you can adapt to the light level and the extended runtime would be a big advantage if things went wrong and you needed light over a long period of time.

[ Note, The SF L1 would probably be a good replacement for this selection once it comes out since you get both the low and "medium" brightnesses from the same light ]

Remember batteries and consider a Jackstrap or Niteze headband. A holster would be a good idea.

3) Headlamp. Something LED based, waterproof, AA based, 3 LEDs would be good, something that more LEDs but could select between the number would be better. Best would be the HDS Actionlight, but you can't actually *get* them so that's probably out.

4) Backup light. CMG Infinity or CMG Infinity Ultra. Ultra long runtime, small, bulletproof light. Runs AA batteries. Personally, I'd probably use the Ultra and bring an extra battery or two.

5) Bonus light. Arc AAA. Small, rugged. While it isn't as necissary as the above lights, I just can't help myself from having the Arc. In a lot of ways I use this as a compliment to the Ultra. I typically load the Ultra with lithium batteries and leave it stowed. The Arc takes on a lot of utility duties and the Ultra is always charged in case of emergencies. The downside is the AAA batteries are a bit heavy for how much light you get since I normally use lithium cells. This means I typically only take about one spare for the Arc.

6) I typically use lithium batteries when I pack so they are lighter and work well in cold weather.

7) Don't count on a light for Bears. Maybe some OC spray, but mostly read up on them and use your noggin.

(I'm assuming you have the other gear covered already.)

Be safe,

-john

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by John N:
..... Don't count on a light for Bears. Maybe some OC spray, but mostly read up on them and use your noggin.....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Brings to mind this anecdote from SUREFIRE:

M6 may have saved my life

My SureFire M6 may have saved my life! I was walking out of my home on a moonless night in the Colorado Mountains when I heard the snapping of twigs and branches. I used my M6 to light up the area and discovered an unusually large black bear watching me. To my pleasure, the blinding light of the M6 drove him deep into the woods.
This year, Colorado residents have experienced a large number of bear encounters. We experienced a late freeze in the spring, greatly reducing the bear's natural food supply of berries.

There have been several bear attacks this year resulting in severe injuries in a couple of cases. I feel very fortunate to have had my M6 with me. Thank you SureFire, the M6 is a true friend!

Dan Legg
Conifer, Colorado

SureFire Guarantee | Privacy Policy | Browser Requirements
Copyright SureFire, LLC. 2001 - 2002

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only way to protect yourself from a bear if you're in the woods and you've got nothing to hide in, is a trusty gun and good training. No light is going to save you if a bear is willing enough to attack you...

Dan's lucky (I think the same Dan Legg of Tactical Warehouse)...

pec50

Enlightened
When backpacking, I tend to use relatively inexpensive lights that are extremely reliable, i.e. simple, and that I can afford to potentially abuse or lose. Also, I generally try to use lower intensity lighting since it helps retain some night vision. That said, if lightweight packing, then I have carried the PT Attitude and an additional Surge lamp along with ARC AAA as backup. Nice redundancy since all use the same AAA battery. If weight is not an issue, then I'll toss in a PT40 or UK4AA. But, I am considering swapping the Attitude with the SL Cliplight because of its versatility and headband option.

Albany Tom

Enlightened
Originally posted by FalconFX:
The only way to protect yourself from a bear if you're in the woods and you've got nothing to hide in, is a trusty gun and good training. No light is going to save you if a bear is willing enough to attack you...

Dan's lucky (I think the same Dan Legg of Tactical Warehouse)...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Off topic, but have to say, being pretty proficient with a handgun, I'd rather have an M6 flashlight than my 10mm auto w/ a bear. Bears almost always leave people alone, especially in the US, and if one attacks, you better have a friend with a gun, because they're too fast, and too powerful. Just my 2 cents.

Ok, end speech...

If you're going to have some camping w/ the backpacking, I'm thinking a good LED headlamp is a MUST. You have your hands free while working on things, and it's far better than holding a flashlight in your mouth. I'd think about plastic vs aluminum in the cold, and would also of course take an Arc-AAA.

Rooster

Newly Enlightened
Albany Tom is right on the bear issue, The light vs. gun debate, if it is that, should be more like, if your not going to be able to kill the bear immediately if attacks you with the gun you've got at hand, you're better off using it as a club to hammer tent stakes. I think those from AK will probably back me up on this. Having to shoot an attacking bear is a terrible thing, it's even more terrible when you empty your 9mm, .45, .40, whatever, into it and it still tears you limb from limb. You're better off with Bear repellant O.C., or what we in Big Lake used to call Bear Repellant, a 12 Ga. 3" mag alternated with 1 1/4 oz slugs & 000 buck shot, and pray something phases it. I was a kid growing up there, (in AK) and I still wake up with nightmares of grizzleys disemboweling me, and mosquitos draining me of my last drop... Beautiful place though, in the summertime!