4Sevens Preon Penlight Quickshot Review

gunga

Flashaholic
For consideration for the Review forum.

4Sevens Preon Penlight Quickshot Review

preon_penlight_20130503_0002_zps9c4465ad.jpg

Okay, due to family constraints, for the time being, my reviews will have to be quick impressions and observations.

First up, is the 4Sevens Preon Penlight. This is a handsome 2x AAA light that really does look and feel like a fine quality pen. A review sample was provided by 4Sevens, the regular retail price is $60.

preon_penlight_20130503_0009_zps9a1a2fec.jpg

Here are the specs, ported from 4Sevens.

Dimensions Length: 5.3 inches/Body diameter: 0.5 inches/Head diameter: 0.5 inches/Weight (without batteries): 0.79 oz
LED Emitter CREE XP-G2
Voltage range 0.9V-3V
Spot Beam Angle: 25 Degree
Flood Beam Angle: 74 Degree
Brightness Levels Low: 5 lumens, 30 hrs/ Medium: 50 lumens, 8 hrs/ High: 180 lumens, 0.4 hrs
Special Modes
Reflector Textured
Body Material Type-III hard-anodized aircraft-grade aluminum
Bezel Material Type-III hard-anodized aircraft-grade aluminum
Lens Material Hardened tempered glass lens with antireflective coating on both sides

Impressions & Observations

My overall impressions are very positive. This is a very nicely made light. The feel is nice and solid, with square threads, and adequate lubrication. The light was ready to go out of the box. Changing the batteries, of course, changes the weight and feel of the light. Those wanting a solid heft, should choose Nimh rechargeables, whilst those looking for the lightest possible option should use lithium primary cells.

preon_penlight_20130503_0010_zps1f7afe16.jpg

preon_penlight_20130503_0011_zps2a47b22e.jpg

The anodizing (in my case, the mocha colour) was flawless, with a rich lustre. The light has chrome (stainless) accents and clip, as well as a durable stainless steel bezel. There is a block/grid pattern on the body that adds visual interest, and perhaps a minor amount of grip.

preon_penlight_20130503_0008_zps14c8ac02.jpg

The tail switch is a reverse clicky, with a very solid and firm feel. The switch requires roughly twice as much force to activate than the older Preon switches, so accidental activation is unlikely.

preon_penlight_20130503_0007_zps63aaa3f4.jpg

The clip seems solid and has a notch that fits a raised tab on the body. This is a clever idea and prevents the clip from rotating and scratching up the body.

preon_penlight_20130503_0005_zps50418299.jpg

preon_penlight_20130503_0013_zps804afbac.jpg

The emitter is well centred in nice little reflector. There is a light texture on the reflector, yielding a broad spot with a fairly smooth bright spill. This is a very useful beam pattern for short to medium range use.

preon_penlight_20130503_0003_zps8792dedf.jpg

Tint is a pleasant cool white, with no hint of green or purple. My preference is for more neutral tints, but I will get to that later.

The UI is an interesting twist. The light has three brightness levels (5, 50, 180 lumens) and a unique memory mode with a hybrid reset. The memory locks based on "off" time. If the light is off for more than 1 second or so, the light will retain the last used level. However, once the level is locked, one can reset the light to low and scroll through the levels using a quick half press of the tail switch.

This is an interesting twist on the usual mode memory configuration and allows quick access to low, as well as a mode memory.

And finally, the redesigned packaging is quite sleek, showing the product as well as the included batteries.

preon_penlight_20130503_0016_zpsd2226a20.jpg

Thoughts and Conclusions

As one can see, I do like this light. I find the hybrid memory to be innovative, allowing one to keep using a set level consistently, whilst providing a quick reset to low. I do wish the "off" interval could be reduced somewhat because I found the reset was a bit inconsistent at times. Also, I believe slightly lower medium and high levels would be more practical and offer improved battery life.

I think this light could be ideal for medical applications and such, and thus believe that a more neutral, high CRI (colour rendition index) emitter should be offered as an option. The light seems well glued, so modifications may be difficult. Hence, a factory neutral option would be nice.

The clip and overall size are very much like larger pens. The light is well suited for shirt pocket use, but the clip may not fair as well in pant pockets.

preon_penlight_20130503_0015_zps20b61384.jpg

The pattern on the light, while unique, seems to take away from its elegant appearance. I feel a smooth, yet grippy finish would better suit this light (similar to the original, first generation Preon).

preon_penlight_20130503_0004_zpsc581ff95.jpg

Finally, I don't find the price point to be ideal. At $60, this is an expensive light for the common market. I feel perhaps adding a titanium option (even at a higher price) would be ideal for premium or executive gift giving. Otherwise, a lower price point would make the light a lot more attractive for gifting. Most non-flashaholic people would just find that $60 is too much for a pen light.

I like the light, but find the price point may not be well suited for the target market(s).

Last edited:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, gunga, for "quick" impressions and observations, that was a pretty thorough review. Thanks.

The one thing that kept me from getting the original Preon 2 penlight was it's lack of mode memory, so I was excited to see this new version finally get that "must have" feature, however, I'm not exactly sure what you are referring to when talking about the "hybrid reset"? Are you saying that if I turn the light off on the "high" level (and wait 2 seconds, which is how you lock it in mode memory), that I can reset the turn-on level to "low" by half pressing the switch while the light is still off? I've tried and can't seem to get that to work. Of course it's easy to use the half press to change levels while the light is on, and that's a nice feature.

In any case, at $60 it's going to be a hard sell for many folks, but at least for that price you do get an extremely well crafted, versatile, and nice looking light. As far as the tint goes, I just used a little double sided tape and stuck a tiny orange filter on the glass cover, and now it's a beautiful neutral tint.

I like the pattern in the finish, but wish it was a bit grippyer, but I've got some ideas on how to improve that. All-in-all I'm finding it to be a great addition to my set of work lights.

Edit: Oh, the main thing I really like about this light is the shape of the beam. It's got a large, broad center spot with a relatively bright spill that isn't to wide. I've found it very useful for those types things I find myself using a penlight for, looking behind audio/video equipment, looking around in dark corners or the car, etc. Just a great medium to closeup beam.

Last edited:

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you Gunga for the very nice review and pics. This is a very nice and interesting pen light. I tend to like the attention to details and will pay more for quality - and this light appears to be quality. But I also agree that it's kinda pricy also. Time will tell if it needs to be discounted a bit to be a real hit.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think they could go with this price if it comes in a nice upscale box rather than a clear plastic shell. i do agree most people would find it too expensive in the common market. it would be even worse to gift it to someone and for them to think you spent $15 and not 60 haha.

wouldn't it be awesome if a flashlight manufacture made an internal that can fit in a mont blanc to turn it into a twist light. if the front hole is too small use fiber optics. someone steal my idea haha.

gunga

Flashaholic
He he he. I guess I'm too long winded to do a very brief review.

:)

To clarify the memory mode. I was testing it out today and got somewhat strange results. It doesn't quite work as a hybrid reset as such, it's just a bit odd.

First off, the light needs to be OFF for about 1-1.5 seconds to lock memory. This is much better than memory based on time ON. I would shorten the interval though to improve memory retention.

Next off, if the memory is not locked, the light cycles through the 3 modes (L-M-H) with half presses of the tail switch.
Now, if the mode is locked into memory, things get interesting.

If the light is on low, a half press will bring you to medium level.
If the light is on medium, a half press will bring you back to low.
If the light is on high, a half press will bring you back to low.

Now, half presses on the tail switch will cycle through the modes until the memory is locked again (light off for 1-1.5 seconds).
It's an odd scheme, and less predictable than I thought.

I think it's workable, I just find it odd.

Again, if this is to be a premium gift light, I think a stainless or titanium option would be a nice option.

Dubois

Enlightened
I've heard that the non-black colours are not HAlll anodised, with the inevitability that the pretty colours will get chipped easily. Any sign of this on your review sample?

What are your thoughts on run-times?

gunga

Flashaholic
Well, I'm very gentle on my lights, I usually pocket them with nothing else in the pocket, so I have noticed no wear on the light. Also, have not had time for run time tests. I leave that to the experts with the time and expertise!

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review, gunga.

This is an interesting little light. I've been carrying an EagleTac 1 x AA twisty in my suit jacket breast pocket almost daily for the last year or so, and think this might be a nice "upgrade" as I'm not really thrilled with the Eagle Tac's tint, or twisty interface. (It's actually a nice, practical light, just not my favorite). While I'm not thrilled with cool white emitters, I'm not going to go crawling around the woods with this light (maybe crawling around the storage room) so the cool tint, so long as it's WHITE isn't a big deal. The fit and finish seem nice, should go well with business attire. And, it's got a clicky with no blinky modes. (!!!!!). Since it's going to live in jackets' inside pockets, there won't be much, if any, chance of accidental activation, and the clip (which might be a weak point) shouldn't be taxed too much. My Eagle Tac can now be moved to casual wear back-up status, along with my very battered EZCR2W.

Looks like one more Preon Penlight ...sold.

gunga

Flashaholic
Hey, thanks for the feedback! I Demo'd the penlight at a meetup tonight. All were impressed by its smooth and abundant output.

I think it's a great choice for that kind of pocket Edc. I suggest black for the most elegant look.

Snareman

Enlightened
Thanks for the review. It looks like a nice light. Medical stuff would be one of my main uses of it. I have a Preon2 that I use sometimes. While I love the look of this light there are a few things that I think will keep me from buying it. I don't like the memory. I like to know what the light is going to come on to every time. I don't know where I turned it off and I don't want to surprise someone with 180 lumens in their eye. I know I could turn it on pointing at the floor and then cycle, but I just want to know where its coming on without having to think/worry about it. The pocket clip is also flared out more on the Preon and seems like it would fit in thicker fabric pockets (I usually have it in my pants pocket) than the smaller flare on the tip of the pen light.

Last edited:

gunga

Flashaholic
While I don't have the Preon clip on me to check, I believe you are right on both counts.

The memory implementation is quite good on the penlight, but I can still see one blasting 180 lumens at someone on occasion. So your point is valid. I do like how it's pretty easy to stay at a consistent level, but if you vary it sometimes, you could occasionally blind a patient!

I would also favour a high cri LED for medical applications.

Snareman

Enlightened
If I interpreted your UI experience above correctly it sounds like a double click will always put it in low. Click it on to whatever it was preset to and then a second click right after to move it down to low. Still more effort than I'm into. This light looks a little more robust than the preon with its thicker body, not that I've had any problems with the preon's toughness.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Except if it's already in low..... then a second click will take you medium.

I always thought I wouldn't like memory mode, but after having a Thrunite T10, I now like it. For me, the key is setting it to low after I'm finished with tasks requiring a higher mode.

The light is great in shirt or jacket breast pocket, but I think is subject to easy accidental activation in pants pocket - make sure you lock it out if a carried there.

Snareman

Enlightened
Except if it's already in low..... then a second click will take you medium.

I always thought I wouldn't like memory mode, but after having a Thrunite T10, I now like it. For me, the key is setting it to low after I'm finished with tasks requiring a higher mode.

The light is great in shirt or jacket breast pocket, but I think is subject to easy accidental activation in pants pocket - make sure you lock it out if a carried there.

Good point about if its already in low. Which furthers my point that I just don't want to have to think about it. Or think about it when I'm turning it off. I've had a few CR123 lights with memory and I don't think any of them are around any more. I've had my Preon turn on a bunch of times in my pants pocket.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Snareman your video reviews are one of the best and most helpful on the WWW. Very detailed and thoughtful. When you're reviewing your Preon Penlight?

Snareman

Enlightened
Snareman your video reviews are one of the best and most helpful on the WWW. Very detailed and thoughtful. When you're reviewing your Preon Penlight?

I appreciate it. Thanks! I don't think I'll be doing the Penlight as I just can't get past the memory mode.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, i see.

Too bad!

I am thinking that the 4Sevens memory mode implementation sounds much better than the usual memory mode!