GOOD Holster for Nitecore EA4 ????

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
I really like my Nitecore EA4W. Used it a lot while inspecting inside Ross Dam yesterday. The Dam Safety Engineers with me were impressed by the light. I swapped out the NiMh batteries when I got home last night, but it was nowhere near dead.

But the el cheapo nylon holster supplied by Nitecore has already started to fail. The velcro has about given up, and it never did fit properly. The other night, I reached for my pants at home, and the light came out of the holster and hit the instep of my bare foot. Ouch.

I use lights a LOT. Right now, the electronic control on my 4Sevens Preon2 is acting up, so my "big" light, the Nitecore is doing my "small light" work as well, set on the lowest power. I really want a good holster. The Motorola marked leather holster for my radio has worked for a good many years, so I know good ones are out there.

If there's a "police duty belt quality" holster out there for the Nitecore EA4, I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nite-Ize stretch holster might fit. I'm still using the stock holster for my ea4 but I think it'd fit in the stretch holster.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could get a Thor custom leather holster made to your specifications (leather color, pattern, style of belt attachment and snap or open top)

Slazmo

Enlightened
The Nite Ize stretch holster wont fit - I have two of these and tried fitting the ea4 into them and it was too hard and the switch was bumped too often turning it on, the stretch holster is near impossible to get a maglite 2D into one of these.

I have emailed Nitecore about the OEM holster - its cheap and cheerful for sure - they couldn't care less about it even when I pointed out the flaws!

I had to reinforce all points with upholstery thread and some hand stitching. I also put some high density foam in the bottom of the holster to cradle the lense and bezel. I also noticed that the velcro is cheap and nasty - this can be replaced with a magnetic clasp system. For example glueing a bit of ferrous metal under the loop velcro and getting a small flat round neodymium magnet and glueing that under the hook velcro...

There is no padding in the actual sheath itself other than the backing and the cover flap which in reality only protects the end of the torch. So other than getting one made up from scratch there are only examples on eBay that could suit - but thats a whole ball game in getting one to fit well enough with comparing dimensions...

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's why I mentioned THor custom Leather, when I ordered an Sc600 holster, because he's a cpf member. It gave him an excuse to buy the light. It fits beautifully. And the holster was 50 ish in price. Well worth it in the long run.
I am able to fit D cell in my stretch holster, but barely so it makes sense that it may not fit. You could get a Skinth holster made if you don't want leather

Cereal_Killer

Enlightened
I was going to suggest a custom leather one too but not a big name expensive one- it should be easy to have one made at just about any local gun show (yes show, not shop) for $30-40, with the belt clip style of your choice (or even bring your own hardware) Almost all of the custom holster guys will do this kind of work. Look for the booth with the sewing machine. I've used the one here at the local shows to make holsters for everything from my radio to rifle magazines and seen him doing all sorts of random crap people think they need to have attached to their bodies. The only problem with leather is that it won't collapse flat when empty but that's the price you pay.

Im sure there's one out there available that would suite your needs, but if I were you I would really look into the custom route and the price really shouldn't be to much more than a store bought one with shipping from china.

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
Hey thanks! I looked at the Nite-ize and like a snap better than Velcro. But then I looked at Thor's Hammer Custom Leather and started lusting after that quality leather. :) I may be able to make it to a local gun show and talk to leather workers. But Thor's looks very good and he's a flashlight guy, too. For constant carry and hard use, it's worth spending a few bucks.

david57strat

Enlightened
I would be very interested in obtaining a better holster for my EA4, as well; partially because of what was mentioned above, but also because of the all-too-easy to deactivate lockout mode. I would love to have a leather holster that would make certain that NO contact was made with the sensitive button on that light, so there could be NO chance of accidental activation or accidental lockout release.

Will definitely check out Thor Customer Leather. Thanks!

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
I want to say thanks, CarpentryHero. I am in contact with Dan at Thor's Hammer. I think I will go whole hog, replace my current belt (a custom Beltster by Scott at Bandera Gunleather that's showing its age) and have him make holsters for my EDC light and Leatherman. Important tools that are depended upon 365 days per year should be carried in good leather.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome Hamilton Felix, and I totally agree. I always have a Leatherman on me. A Mut at work and a Skeletool for at home.