NLS Shootout - 8 Tiny Keychain Lights

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Thanks to the ministrations of one Tvodrd (Thanks Larry!) I became the proud new owner of one extremely desirable NLS (N-cell Luxeon Star) keychain light.

But "Wait!" you say, how can a Luxeon possibly fit inside a true keychain light? Oh sure, one a them HUGE "keychain" lights, like an Arc LS 123 could be attached to a keyring and be called a "keychain" light, or the hole in a MiniMag's tailcap could be threaded through by a keyring and then called a "keychain" light, right?

Nope, I'm talking genuine keychain-sized lights here:

Lil%20Line%206.jpg

See the little green thing on the far right? The one that looks almost like an afterthought, like a prescription nitroglycerin pill container or a holder for a few spare button cell batteries for hearing aids or something?

That's the NLS! The rest of the lights from left to right are the Dorcy AAA, CMG Infinity Ultra, Arc AA, and Arc AAA.

In the same order here are their outputs on a white wall (is there anything else?) from about two feet away -- forgive the camera angle but the chairbacks would not permit the camera to be any lower:

Lil%20Beam%206.jpg

Yowch, kinda beats up on all them little Nichias, huh? The NLS sports a turned-down NX-05 for an optic.

But wait, surely there must be SOME other little keychain light that gives it a run for its money? Well here are the only other few really tiny lights I had laying around, from left to right they are a Photon Knock-Off, SwissLight II, and ASP Aspen:

Lil%20Line%204.jpg

The only light actually smaller overall is the Photon clone.

And here are these lights' beamshots, again in the same order (now you have to Really forgive the camera angle, the Aspen's momentary switch had to be held down with one hand while trying to snap the pic with my other):

Lil%20Beam%204.jpg

Yup, still blows them all away.

So Larry, ya makin' these fer sale or what???!!!

Oh well, at least I got in before the door was shut. As for the rest a ya:

violin.gif

(just kiddin' guys) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks again, Lar!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
wow!
thanx for this cool comparison Charlie!
now you made me drool even more while knowing that I could never succeed in of of "those auctions" ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
I really like this place ... feels like being in the middle of rocket science being envented ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernie

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
WHOLLY HECK.

Is that the same light? are you sure you did not change and alternate the beam? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif j/k

trully, it is a superb keychain light. i am trully, trully impressed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

thanks for the pic, Charlie.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Looks really really green! Gotta love camera auto exposure /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
You forgot the Nano-Mate! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
The Nano-Mate (modded Key-Mate) is the one on the right.

mmm.jpg

Dmax

Newly Enlightened
I second that.

The Nano-Mate or Turbo-Nano-Mate would be the only keychain sized light capable of challenging the NLS.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, the Nano-Mate Turbo is one sweet, true keychain little guy. I'd prefer this though but at probably twice the price, (if these are offered), of a Nano, the Nano is a keeper! Very nice though and thanks for a neat thread!

By the way Charlie, that ARC AA beam looks no better than the much smaller ARC AAA and just as stinkin' blue! Even though I don't care for them, because of their diminutive size, I can see why the ARC AAA is popular. I have yet to figure out why the ARC AA even exists?

Waiting patiently for the Pico-Illuminator!!!

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gene>for battery compatability. I cannot speak for others but I am a backpacker. This is the perfect light for us packpackers. All of our equipment that uses batteries is becoming AA standardized, also for us that have been out for month before such as appalachian trail walkers can really benifit from a light like this. On Mt. Washington I would have really loved this. True backpackers like to have a light that is not overly bright but runs long for its weight and volume. Also you do not have to carry batteries for it, It can feed off of batteries that no longer run the other items.

I for one think its the best flashlight yet for this specific purpose. I love and use 123 lights but none of them have a chance of going with me while backpacking. The weather radio, the gps, the headlamp, and the Arc-AA all running off of AA's is perfect. The weather radio is particualary important when at high altitude. Also using the ARC-AA keeps you off of your Brighter but higher power consumption headlamp when the headlamp is not needed.

I think the Arc-AA is perfect. I think it is as important as $400 backpacking footwear.

Atomic6

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad you posted those Beams MR. BULK. I too sorted through the small lights laying around and nothing touches the NLS. Looks like someone will have to test the NLS and a NanoMate though to find the true king o" da minis. Nonetheless-Larry's NLS rocks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is bright yes, but what is the run time? A half an hour? I have a nanomate and like it but I use it as a little task light at work rather then a keychain light whereas when it dies, I have a readily available battery. For a keychain light, I want it to serve me well in an emergency as I always have my keys with me and nothing yet has displaced the Arc AAA. A good compromise I would think is to carry a product like this fine light or the nanomate and also a photon 3. The photon 3 in medium or low settings would give several hours of light should the need arise. The only thing is, the light kept coming on accidentally in my pocket and draining the batteries. I wonder if the Eclipse is any better in this regard?

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jon,
I didn't and don't want to hijack Charlie's thread. I used to be a backpacker years ago and I understand. Still the AA Ultra G has been around for a good while and is cheaper and is built every bit as well and is as bright. The only real advantage the ARC AA has over it is that it can be stood on end which is not used that much in real life but a benefit nonetheless. It was a good move on Peter's part though because they sure seem to sell like crazy. Sorry Charlie, (no pun intended!), and I will not discuss it further but thanks for the feedback Jon.

I really do like this light because it has cleaner lines than the Nano-Mate and would hang on a keychain much better. As others have stated, I'd really like to see a comparison between the two.

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any more feedback here yet on the nanomate vs. the Nls or hell even the pico mate?

ufokillerz

Enlightened
seeing those beamshots makes me drool even more in anticipation of my R2H luxeons and micro converters getting here =) my NLS has been sitting around naked long enough!!