ever looked into the light beam of a bright flashlight by accident?

mccririck

Enlightened
I did with a 400lm flashlight at work, I accidentally turning it towards my eyes when it was switched on. It made a weird burn line that I could still see when I closed my eyes. Are there any stories of people causing permanent eye damage with flashlights?

Showmethelight

Newly Enlightened
Lol, by accident yes, but as a flasholic, more times on purpose because I'm dumb. Very tempting to look at the light, not sure why, at least for me. No, I haven't looked at solar eclipses or the sun for long periods.

i do wonder what lumen mark might become harmful to eyes though, I can testify anything under about 2000 has no lasting damage lol. Jokes aside I'm much more careful with my lasers and would never play around with them.

Last edited:

melty

Newly Enlightened
Are you forgetting what forum you're on? Everyone here has looked into a powerful light on purpose (or on "accident").:whistle: I don't think leds have yet reached the intensity at which "accidental" exposure could cause permanent eye damage.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Gotta ask the laser guys about permanent damage, flashlights will only temporarily blind you. Remember that streetlights are ~40,000 lumens, and you see those all the time.

The bigger concern is chip weevils..

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's the intensity of the light (lux or cd) that will hurt your eyes, not the lumens. I can stare all day at my ~ 1000 lumen lightbulb in my livingroom. but i cant stare at a 100000 lux flashlight for long :)

bluemax_1

Enlightened
It's the intensity of the light (lux or cd) that will hurt your eyes, not the lumens. I can stare all day at my ~ 1000 lumen lightbulb in my livingroom. but i cant stare at a 100000 lux flashlight for long :)

Exactly.

The intensity matters more than the total output. For what it's worth, in testing flashlights for their effectiveness in temporarily impairing vision in lower light environments, lights with hotspots in the 20,000 - 30,000 candela range appear to be the sweetspot from distances from 6-30 feet. Once the lights get above the 40,000-50,000 cd range, they're actually painful to get flashed in the face/eyes with. Obviously, the closer the range, the greater the intensity as well. Even lights with lower intensities though, can leave a temporary afterimage in your vision (especially if your pupils were dilated from dark adaptation) for up to several minutes.

I'm not sure what intensity levels start becoming dangerous though. I'd imagine someone holding your eyelids open and shining a 100,000 cd light into your eye from 6" away probably isn't healthy for your eyesight. Fortunately, the instinctive response to a bright light in your face is to close your eyes, turn away and/or raise a hand to shield your eyes from the light. As far as how much light it takes to cause instantaneous damage, I know looking at a nuclear blast without eye protection can do it. No idea what the intensity hitting the retina is though.

Max

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashlights often reveal existing eye damage, but usually won't cause it without secondary optics (focusing a 1000 lumen light so all the light hits your retina would be about 3W. This would require careful planning and difficult equipment.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not healty to stare at the sun. Direct sunlight is somewhere between 32000-130000 lux and we got throwers that are more intense than 130K. lux. But i dont know if it's the uv rays or the intensity of the sun that makes it bad for the eyes. If you watch someone welding, it's the same thing. Bright, lots of uv radiation, and it will give your eyes a really good "sunburn" if you watch it too long.

pikachu_chiu

Newly Enlightened
Always tempted to look at them when turned on, especially after a new purchase:devil:.......

Swede74

Enlightened
It has happened to me a few times, but I try to avoid it. I don't think a few tenths of a second every now and again is likely to cause anything worse than temporary discomfort, but as in so many other areas of life, it is better to be safe than sorry. It seems the brain is very good at "filling in the blanks", so perhaps it is possible to sustain a minor eye injury and not be aware of it because your brain compensates for blind spots, creating the appearance of an unimpaired vision. Self-deception at its best :)

57943713.jpg

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, by "accident"
i have accidentally done it, done it on purpose too

the worst was my new (at the time) Thor i had taken to work
the guys and i were shining it around an oval, when one of the guys turned round to talk to us, and managed to catch me in the beam.
Not much fun experiencing a few thousand lumens in a nice big reflector with dark adapted eyes - instant headache and spots that took 15 mins to go away - i dont think my night vision recovered for a few hours either

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
All the time and only because I'm too stupid/lazy to set up a better test rig :/

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

andurilgc

Newly Enlightened
It's inevitable. That's why, like my pocketknife EDC's the lights are out of reach of the kids

Even a 14500 light on max output in a darkened room is a lot and kids will always look down the barrel then turn something on

jaycyu

Enlightened
1500 people viewed this thread. How many of them tried it after reading this > <"
Flashaholics are hopeless :p

I had a dead pixel in my right eye for a few years. It was either from oxy welding in my metal-work class or from looking at the sun with a telephoto lens.
I haven't notice any damage dealt by my 1200-1500 lumen lights. Maybe I should do a run-time test to make sure :sssh:

Last edited:

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
The number of times I've done the old "I wonder if this will wor....argh!" I couldn't count on all my hands and feet Lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
We'll need to keep you all away from the Nightsword project being worked on in the Spotlights and HID Flashlights subforum. It's reported to be capable of causing instant permanent blindness.

Last edited:

FartLighter

Banned
Yes, I seem to have tremendously less respect for flashlights than I do for other directional tools.

That is why I cannot bring myself to own a high mW laser... Just not worth the risk, no matter how cool.