Infinity Ultra vs Ultra-G Anodizing

SockMan

Newly Enlightened
From what I understand, the Infinity Ultra and the Ultra-G are virtually identical. However, the Ultra-G is claimed to have a HA-III finish instead of the type-II anodized finish on the Ultra. Does this make the Ultra-G more scratch resistant? What other differences does the HA-III finish have when compared to the type-II?

Also, are there any other differences between the Ultra and Ultra-G besides the anodizing?

I am asking because I am considering buying some as gifts and would like to know which one is better. I have read some posts about the two, but I still can't figure out how the anodizing is different (how it feels, looks, resists scratches, ect). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
if i'm not wrong, the only difference between both lights are the anodizing.

regarding the types of anodizing, type II is less scratch resistant, and more easily worn off than HA. HA holds up very well to wear and tear, and type II anodizing has a glossy finish whereas HA has a more matte finish to it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
SockMan said:
Also, are there any other differences between the Ultra and Ultra-G besides the anodizing?

[/ QUOTE ]

At one time the County Comm site claimed for the Ultra-G -
"These LEDs are hand picked for brightness and smooth, even illumination." (I have saved a copy of the web page)
but this claim is no longer on their web site.

FWIW here's a comparison of samples of one -
CMG Ultra-G vs. Ultra

and perhaps there may be some consistency in the Ultra-G's :
CMG Ultra-G (#2)

Sharp

Enlightened
If I remember correctly (and I do), Ultra-G has "Government" written on the body. Personally, I wouldn't consider them for presents, exactly for the "Government" writing.
For everything else however, Ultra-G is better.

Richard

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
I gave a few Ultra-Gs as gifts and everybody loved them. They refer to them as "Army Lights" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Zigzago said:
The Ultra comes with a lanyard and a removable clip. The Ultra G comes with no accessories.

[/ QUOTE ]

Zigzago is correct, other than the anodizing and the "Government" engraving that is the only difference, the Leds are the same, but all Leds vary somewhat from one light to the next.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
My Ultra-G seems just a hair brighter and a hair more violetish than my Ultra, but it could just be a normal variance in the white LED they use. With a sample size of 1 of each, this isn't a very scientific conclusion. So take these results with large amounts of crystalline sodium chloride. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

In my samples, both are about equally reflective, and very nearly the same case color - with the Ultra-G being slightly more bluish than the standard Ultra. I don't know exactly what kind of anodising is on them; I don't know if the Ultra has a type II anodising, and the Ultra-G has a type III hard anodising (as advertised). Guess I'd better whip out my SAK and have a look-see...BRB... Ok, tried to scrape through the anodising on the curved tailcap of both, and was not successful with either.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
The LED Museum said:
In my samples, both are about equally reflective, and very nearly the same case color - with the Ultra-G being slightly more bluish than the standard Ultra. I don't know exactly what kind of anodising is on them; I don't know if the Ultra has a type II anodising, and the Ultra-G has a type III hard anodising (as advertised). Guess I'd better whip out my SAK and have a look-see...BRB... Ok, tried to scrape through the anodising on the curved tailcap of both, and was not successful with either.

[/ QUOTE ]

My understanding from reading this forum is that some earlier (plain) Ultras were produced with the dark green HA 3 -
which from your SAK scrape test appears to be what you have.

Whereas the later and current (plain) Ultras are HA 2 and the color is a distinctly lighter mint green as in this small image hot-linked from the CMG web site:
field_report.gif

or this side-by-side photo:
fcd4fcd0.jpg

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Let me compare the two and get a picture...BRB...son of a diddly, the Ultra's tangled up in something...BRB... GOT it!

cmg20.jpg

On the top, is the standard Infinity Ultra.
On the bottom, is the Infinity Ultra-G.