The power went out at work last Monday

LedTed

Enlightened
The power went out at work last Monday. As per usual, I had my ShiningBeam S-mini clipped in my front left pocket and my NiteCore D11 close by. As soon as the event happened, I fired up my S-mini on medium and went on a safety tour.

Within seconds I discovered one of the other techs, in the now darkened wet lab number one, trying to finish instilling an instrument shelf. So, I stayed in that lab and illuminated his work; so the shelf wouldn't fall on him.

After enough hardware have been installed on the shelf's bracket to keep it from falling on anyone, while I was still in that lab, someone asked to borrow my S-mini; so he could use the restroom. Through the lab's glass windows, I saw my S-mini being handed off to someone else; so that she could use the lady's restroom. At this point I used the combination of emergency lighting and daylight to get back to my NiteCore D11.

I still needed to finish my safety tour and check the condition of the equipment on which I had an experiment running. So, I took my D11 out to the second wet lab. After checking out my machine, I headed back to the first wet lab.

When I got back, the other tech had lost track of my flashlight. Being a man, I wasn't about to go into the woman's restroom just to look for my S-mini.

Throughout the week, I kept a vigilant look out for my S-mini. I finally got it back on Thursday. The other technician kindly returned my S-mini with a compliment, "Man, that's a bright flashlight". I simply responded, "Yep". But my thought was, "Yea, and it's only on medium".

I guess my story goes to show the two points us EDC'ers live buy, "Try to be prepared". And "Two is one, one is none".

Last edited:

Ishango

Enlightened
Lucky you had your light on you. This indeed seems like a typical situation we try to be prepared for. Too bad it took four days to return your property back to you, but lucky you got it back. I've heard other loaner stories where the light didn't return at all.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good story LedTed. I keep several $2 D cell flashlights handy to give out as "loaners". If they don't come back, no big deal. Nobody's going to get my Zebralight SC600.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice story, I keep 2 x S-mini XP-G2 Cool white at work along with the Armytek Predator XP-G2 for more throw. The Eagletac TX25C2 XM-L2 stays with me :)

I just need a blackout at work and the spare Eagletac 18650 x3 should come in handy.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Power outage.
Every flashaholic's dream!

Raven-burg

Newly Enlightened
Power outage.
Every flashaholic's dream!
I know what you mean! When I'm fully armed with my lights I imagine the moment when it all goes black!
It never happens though!! Damn these reliable power networks!!