L5? or wait for the L6?

Wave

Newly Enlightened
It's obvious from looking around here that the L5 is a hot buy but should I hold off and wait for the L6 to come out?
This addiction is getting really expensive for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Currently, I'm pretty thrilled with the performance of the KL3 I just purchased. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Sharp

Enlightened
Well, L5 is pretty powerful and has quite a good throw.
On the other hand, L6 is much more powerful and has longer throw. However, L5 is more EDCable.
I'd say get them both /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Richard

:EDIT: - If you just buy the L6 you'll be tempted to buy an L5 so, sooner or later, you'll end up with both. This addiction has no limits... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I certainly am waiting. I'm not even sure precisely what the L5 does. I have been unable to discover the specifications on it. I don't know amps, volts, lumens, or how it would perform in configurations other than 6 volt. This has been quite a chaotic release. I suspect someone has slipped up.

Of course, if you buy it now and don't like it, you can always sell it in the B/S/T Forum.

Paul

mporter

Newly Enlightened
My strategy.

Buy both. Try both. It's the only way to tell which one you want. Then sell the one you use the least if necessary. Buying early makes it easy to resell. The product will still be hot. I've already got my L5 and have an L6 on pre-order at Tactical Warehouse.

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
PaulW said:
I don't know amps, volts, lumens, or how it would perform in configurations other than 6 volt.

[/ QUOTE ]

It says in the L5 Operators Manual that it is 65 Lumens for 65 minutes.

I've previously read that the L6 will also be 65 Lumens, If that is true I am not sure what value it could offer over the L5 other than extended runtime in a larger package [and maybe slightly better throw].

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks FlashlightOCD. That's the first I've seen on the L5 output. The 65 lumen figure means that the LED is being driven as hard as the L4 is, perhaps with the same regulator. It also says that the LEDs themselves are most likely from the same bin as those in the L4. Therefore, the only advantages I can think of that the L5 could have over the L4 would be beam width (throw) and cooling capability.

I agree with your views on the L6. I guess that in addition to what you note, the L6 could also have superior shock resistance.

Paul

AC_Doctor

Newly Enlightened
How about putting my L5 head, on my Surefire C3 ???
Would this be good, or bad, for the L5 head ???

Kiessling

Flashaholic
IMHO it is very reasonable for SF NOT to overdrive the LS given the short halflife of those thingies and their proud warranty statements as well as reliability "in the field". after all, they are not a "high power experimentation playground for rocket science" like CPF is, but have to sell top notch products in every aspect. This is also a responsibility.
bernhard

rlhess

Enlightened
I'm waiting. I think one needs light steps in 6-10x the light output (or throw) to have it truly meaningful. The L5 is about 3.5x the throw of the L4, which is interesting.

I hope the L6 will replace the SL TL-3 incandescent in my bag.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
65 Lumens sounds right on the L4/5/6 since they limitation is the LED itself. Granted, that's a conservative number since I know P. Gransee went to a lab with an integrating sphere and the L4 metered out at around 80 lumens IIRC. The only plus as PaulW pointed out is tighter beam and better thermal management. I'm anxiously awaiting for mine to arrive to see how the L5 compares to McGizmo's McLux PR X3T BB750 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Got a feeling McGizmo's light is going to remain king of the hill.

CM

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
rlhess said:
...I hope the L6 will replace the SL TL-3 incandescent in my bag.

[/ QUOTE ]

Richard,

I would be truly shocked if it threw nearly as well as the TL-3 which is a very long throwing light. If I compare my longest throw 2x123 incandescents to my longest throw 2x123 LEDs there is simply no comparison. I'd love to have a truly long throw small LED light, but I don't see how it's possible unless 5W die size can somehow be shrunk, or superefficient 65-80lumen 1 watters come into production. Time will tell.

I hope I'm wrong!

Brightnorm

rlhess

Enlightened
Hi, Norm,

I figure if I keep the TL-3, it will have been fun playing with the L6 and I can always sell it if I don't like it after trying it.

I know the L6 is bigger than the TL-3, but throw isn't everything as your thread pointed out. Color rendering is better with the LED units--well, not the purple KL-1, but with the L4, certainly.

I am amazed about the increase from 650 to 2000 in the L4 to the L5. That is why I'm hoping the L6 comes out at 6000 or so peak candela. That's not far from the 8500 of the TL-3 with partially used batteries.
<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
Candela Throw for 1 fc Typical light
20 4 Arc AAA LE
200 14 (1W Luxeon stars)
400 20 (KL3)
500 22
650 25 (L4)
1000 32
1300 36 (E2e)
1500 39 (P60)
2000 45 (KL5)
3000 55
4000 63
5000 71
6000 77
7000 84
8000 89
9000 95 (TL-3, UKE SL-6 average batteries)
10000 100 (TL-3 very fresh batteries)
12000 110
15000 122 (SRTH, UltraStinger)
100000 316 (Vector CO137 banana)
</pre><hr />
So, where does the L6 fall? For me, a 60-70 foot reach, especailly with flood light capabilities will fit most situations.

Also, I do find that for the same candela output that the LEDs make things more visible than incandescents.

I'm winning the battle to switch to LED lighting.

The score as of today:

75 lights Total:
4 Fluorescent
2 Xenon Strobe
29 Incandescent (9 of which are in-wall power-fail lights and 2 are spotlights)
40 LEDs, of which 7 are LSs (2 of those are 5W).

Also, I'm up to 16 of the 75 running on lithium batteries (10 on 123s and 5 on AAs).

Cheers,

Richard

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Richard,

I didn't realize the L6 was that bright. I never thought it would happen but I find myself going enthusiastically down the LED road. I'm trying to restrict myself to EDC lights (actually carried on my person) but I'm very interested to see reviews of the L6, less so the L5 based on reviews here.

Brightnorm

rlhess

Enlightened
Hi, Norm,

I said

"So, where does the L6 fall? For me, a 60-70 foot reach, especailly with flood light capabilities will fit most situations."

I am speculating with the great increase from the L4 to the L5, that there will be at least a 2x and possibly 3x increase in candela output (not necessarily lumen output). I mean sheesh, look at the size of the head on that thing! It's deep!

So 2x puts the throw at about 60 feet and 3x puts the throw close to 80 feet.

You don't call the SRTH on a 9P an EDC light, do you <smile>?

Honestly the L4 is my size limit for on-my-person EDC. I really see the L4 as a step up from the E2e. The KL1 is a good use for the E2e now giving a longish runtime.

Anyway, I was speculating...maybe I need to put that in my sig like McGizmo.

I wonder when TW will get L6s. It might be fun to get them before Christmas.

Cheers,

Richard

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Richard,

I'm almost tempted to order an L6 sight unseen before any reviews come in. BST is a really great CPF feature. How many other places in life give you the opportunity to take a small loss on even a nonrefundable mistaken purchase?

Brightnorm

SarcoBlaster

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
rlhess said:I wonder when TW will get L6s. It might be fun to get them before Christmas.

[/ QUOTE ]
Heh, I hope they get in before Christmas too. I pre-ordered mine several days ago and already can't wait to get it. Should be a rather neat light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got some big throwing LED lights, the most important factor becomes whether it is pocketable, and I don't know if the L5 and L6 will fall into this category, maybe the L5 will but the beam shots do look impressive, but I've got most of my needs covered, but not wants of course.
8 months ago, I loved my Surefire incandescent lights, I first bought the G2(2x), then E1, then E2, then KL1, then 9P, and now they are all gone. Now the Tigerlight and Vector 3mil cp spotlight are my only remaining non-led lights. Space needle II,Blaster VI, TNC splash hyper-lux 5w, L4, KL4/E2E body, ARC LSL-P, Baby Pin, Firefly w/R2K, McLux TK single 123, McGizmo McLux PR 917 w/2x123 Mclux body. I've had a lot of other lights that I've sold as well and what remains is the best of the best, and I'm waiting on the Super Baby Pin, I can't just collect lights, I've got to be able to edc most of them and since I'm going up to Banff, Alberta at Christmas, there should be plenty of opportunities to annoy my wife with me lighting up the wilderness.

rlhess

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
brightnorm said:
[ QUOTE ]
rlhess said:
...I hope the L6 will replace the SL TL-3 incandescent in my bag.

[/ QUOTE ]

Richard,

I would be truly shocked if it threw nearly as well as the TL-3 which is a very long throwing light. If I compare my longest throw 2x123 incandescents to my longest throw 2x123 LEDs there is simply no comparison. I'd love to have a truly long throw small LED light, but I don't see how it's possible unless 5W die size can somehow be shrunk, or superefficient 65-80lumen 1 watters come into production. Time will tell.

I hope I'm wrong!

Brightnorm

[/ QUOTE ]

Brightnorm,

Your are NOT wrong. I suspect, to some extent, I lost the Luxeon Lottery on the L6, but it really doesn't appear any brighter than the L5.

So, it cannot replace my TL3 by a long shot, although it does throw a bit better than the TL3 LED which throws a bit better than the L4 (but only by a hair).

While I'd like to keep it, it didn't meet my need so I will not be keeping the L6.

Cheers,

Richard

Likebright

Enlightened
Wave,
You might want to jump over to the Mod forum and look at the
"Super Light" thread It is going to be right in there price wise and might have a little more kick to it throw wise.
It caught my interest.
Mike