FourSevens        
Page 1 of 18 1234567811 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 516

Thread: Tain Tribute Thread

  1. #1
    Flashaholic* dlmorgan999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Tigard, OR
    Posts
    1,780

    Default Tain Tribute Thread

    Inspired by ideas from easilyled, and also from compasillo with his Jeff Hanko Tribute Thread, I've decided it's time to start a thread to highlight the amazing work of Tain. I hope this will be a good place for eye-candy pictures, discussion of Tain's lights from all eras, and just a great place for lovers of Tain's work to hang out and converse.

    I'll start by posting a few of my favorite pictures of Tain's lights.

    Full disclosure: two of the lights in these pictures (the Thud and the Thud LT) were sold by Steve Ku, but the machining work was done by the same machinist that Tain is now working with to create all his masterpieces.















    Here is a list of my lights.

  2. #2
    *Flashaholic* easilyled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Middlesex, UK
    Posts
    7,195

    Default Re: Tain Tribute Thread

    Incredible pictures, incredible lights!

    Tain's lights are quite exceptional and your pictures are a great tribute to them.
    We are all flotsam and jetsam being carried by a relentless tide towards our ultimate fate!

  3. #3
    Flashaholic* dlmorgan999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Tigard, OR
    Posts
    1,780

    Default Re: Tain Tribute Thread

    Thanks Daniel. I figured a thread like this would give us a place to gush over Tain's lights (to any extent we care to ) without clogging up other threads.
    Here is a list of my lights.

  4. #4
    *Flashaholic* easilyled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Middlesex, UK
    Posts
    7,195

    Default Re: Tain Tribute Thread

    Here are a few pictures of Tain's lights that I deem to be at least presentable after the formidable standards that Dave has set!

















    Last edited by easilyled; 05-21-2013 at 07:37 AM.
    We are all flotsam and jetsam being carried by a relentless tide towards our ultimate fate!

  5. #5
    Flashaholic* dlmorgan999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Tigard, OR
    Posts
    1,780

    Default Re: Tain Tribute Thread

    Those are all great pictures Daniel - thanks for posting.
    Here is a list of my lights.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Tain Tribute Thread

    I some how likes the look of Hyperlux v1. Looks kinda cute when compare to its brothers.

  7. #7
    Flashaholic* compasillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    1,334

    Default Re: Tain Tribute Thread

    Great idea Dave. This thread promises to be one of the specials.
    Thanks guys for such a great photos! I want to let you know I'll save every picture to my HD for personal drooling purpose only ;-)

  8. #8
    *Flashaholic* easilyled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Middlesex, UK
    Posts
    7,195

    Default Re: Tain Tribute Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by grayhighh View Post
    I some how likes the look of Hyperlux v1. Looks kinda cute when compare to its brothers.
    I love all the Hyperluxes, but my Combat Hyperlux with the side-tritiums in the tail is my favourite. Its also probably my favourite light in my entire collection.
    We are all flotsam and jetsam being carried by a relentless tide towards our ultimate fate!

  9. #9
    Flashaholic* dlmorgan999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Tigard, OR
    Posts
    1,780

    Default Re: Tain Tribute Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by compasillo View Post
    Great idea Dave. This thread promises to be one of the specials.
    Thanks guys for such a great photos! I want to let you know I'll save every picture to my HD for personal drooling purpose only ;-)
    Thanks Ramon. I've very much enjoyed your Jeff Hanko tribute thread, so I thought this seemed like the next logical step.

    And I do the same thing with a number of pictures I see on CPF.
    Here is a list of my lights.

  10. #10
    Flashaholic* dlmorgan999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Tigard, OR
    Posts
    1,780

    Default Re: Tain Tribute Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by easilyled View Post
    I love all the Hyperluxes, but my Combat Hyperlux with the side-tritiums in the tail is my favourite. Its also probably my favourite light in my entire collection.
    It's becoming more and more difficult for me to identify a single light that is my favorite. Having said that, if I had to choose just one, right now it would likely be my Thud 26650.

    I like everything about that light - the heft, the proportions, the feel in my hand, and especially the heavy dose of trits in my special edition!
    Here is a list of my lights.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Tain Tribute Thread

    Piccolo train


  12. #12
    Flashaholic* dlmorgan999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Tigard, OR
    Posts
    1,780

    Default Re: Tain Tribute Thread

    That's a very creative picture Cary - nice job!

    That's my kind of train, too.
    Here is a list of my lights.

  13. #13
    *Flashaholic* easilyled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Middlesex, UK
    Posts
    7,195

    Default Re: Tain Tribute Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dlmorgan999 View Post
    It's becoming more and more difficult for me to identify a single light that is my favorite. Having said that, if I had to choose just one, right now it would likely be my Thud 26650.

    I like everything about that light - the heft, the proportions, the feel in my hand, and especially the heavy dose of trits in my special edition!
    Your Thuds are quite magnificent, Dave.

    Here are a couple of pictures that I've just taken featuring my bead-blasted 26650 Thud and Combat Hyperlux:-



    We are all flotsam and jetsam being carried by a relentless tide towards our ultimate fate!

  14. #14
    Flashaholic* dlmorgan999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Tigard, OR
    Posts
    1,780

    Default Re: Tain Tribute Thread

    Nice Daniel. I really like the bead-blasted battery tube on your Thud 26650! I think it contrasts nicely with the bare titanium on the head and tail.

    Also, I like the way the 26650 is slightly out of focus on the second picture.
    Here is a list of my lights.

  15. #15
    *Flashaholic* easilyled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Middlesex, UK
    Posts
    7,195

    Default Re: Tain Tribute Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dlmorgan999 View Post
    Also, I like the way the 26650 is slightly out of focus on the second picture.
    Thanks Dave. I also had another picture the other way round but that just seemed wrong to my eyes.

    It always seems more natural for the object in the foreground to be the one that's more in focus when using a shallow DOF, I think.
    We are all flotsam and jetsam being carried by a relentless tide towards our ultimate fate!

  16. #16
    *Flashaholic* easilyled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Middlesex, UK
    Posts
    7,195

    Default Re: Tain Tribute Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by grayhighh View Post
    Piccolo train
    Tain Train!
    We are all flotsam and jetsam being carried by a relentless tide towards our ultimate fate!

  17. #17
    Flashaholic* compasillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    1,334

    Default Re: Tain Tribute Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by easilyled View Post
    Tain Train!
    Sounds like a song tittle...

  18. #18
    Flashaholic* dlmorgan999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Tigard, OR
    Posts
    1,780

    Default Re: Tain Tribute Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by easilyled View Post
    Thanks Dave. I also had another picture the other way round but that just seemed wrong to my eyes.

    It always seems more natural for the object in the foreground to be the one that's more in focus when using a shallow DOF, I think.
    I've also taken some the other way round and I had the same reaction.
    Here is a list of my lights.

  19. #19
    Flashaholic* emu124's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Switzerland / CONUS address
    Posts
    746

    Default Re: Tain Tribute Thread

    Here we go











    Looks like ImageShack doesn't work like it should, can't post more pics

  20. #20
    *Flashaholic* easilyled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Middlesex, UK
    Posts
    7,195

    Default Re: Tain Tribute Thread

    How did you take that first picture? Its really spectacular.
    (It looks like the lens was zooming in and out)

    I hope you manage to display all your other pics soon.
    We are all flotsam and jetsam being carried by a relentless tide towards our ultimate fate!

  21. #21
    Flashaholic* dlmorgan999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Tigard, OR
    Posts
    1,780

    Default Re: Tain Tribute Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by easilyled View Post
    How did you take that first picture? Its really spectacular.
    (It looks like the lens was zooming in and out)

    I hope you manage to display all your other pics soon.
    I agree with Daniel (and I'm also curious about the first picture).

    Also, the second picture is amazingly sharp!
    Here is a list of my lights.

  22. #22
    Flashaholic* emu124's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Switzerland / CONUS address
    Posts
    746

    Default Re: Tain Tribute Thread

    I must admit, the first picture was a mishap. My zoom lens was too heavy for the slope and started moving by itself.
    Still a cool pic, but hard to replicate

  23. #23
    *Flashaholic* easilyled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Middlesex, UK
    Posts
    7,195

    Default Re: Tain Tribute Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by emu124 View Post
    I must admit, the first picture was a mishap. My zoom lens was too heavy for the slope and started moving by itself.
    Still a cool pic, but hard to replicate
    I would never have admitted that.
    We are all flotsam and jetsam being carried by a relentless tide towards our ultimate fate!

  24. #24
    *Flashaholic* easilyled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Middlesex, UK
    Posts
    7,195

    Default Re: Tain Tribute Thread

    Dave kindly recommended me a lens to upgrade my camera with. Sadly it hasn't upgraded my photography skills. Nevertheless I felt like posting some more gratuitous shots.





    We are all flotsam and jetsam being carried by a relentless tide towards our ultimate fate!

  25. #25
    Flashaholic* dlmorgan999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Tigard, OR
    Posts
    1,780

    Default Re: Tain Tribute Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by easilyled View Post
    Dave kindly recommended me a lens to upgrade my camera with. Sadly it hasn't upgraded my photography skills. Nevertheless I felt like posting some more gratuitous shots.
    I don't think you're giving yourself enough credit Daniel. Those shots look great!
    Here is a list of my lights.

  26. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Maryland, Near DC, USA
    Posts
    6,624

    Default Re: Tain Tribute Thread

    Amazing work.

  27. #27
    *Flashaholic* easilyled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Middlesex, UK
    Posts
    7,195

    Default Re: Tain Tribute Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dlmorgan999 View Post
    I don't think you're giving yourself enough credit Daniel. Those shots look great!
    Thanks Dave, I still have a long way to go but with your help, who knows?
    We are all flotsam and jetsam being carried by a relentless tide towards our ultimate fate!

  28. #28

    Default Re: Tain Tribute Thread

    Daniel, Nice detail shots !






    *If anyone feel the color temperature or exposure is weird please let me know. I think my screen needs color calibration. Cause when I send my files to develop the result is no where close to when I saw on my screen. Thanks !
    Last edited by grayhighh; 05-22-2013 at 06:12 PM.

  29. #29
    Flashaholic* dlmorgan999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Tigard, OR
    Posts
    1,780

    Default Re: Tain Tribute Thread

    That's a nice shot Cary, and I really like all those color schemes!

    What is the backdrop? It looks like it could be the trunk of your car.
    Here is a list of my lights.

  30. #30
    *Flashaholic* easilyled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Middlesex, UK
    Posts
    7,195

    Default Re: Tain Tribute Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by grayhighh View Post
    *If anyone feel the color temperature or exposure is weird please let me know. I think my screen needs color calibration. Cause when I send my files to develop the result is no where close to when I saw on my screen. Thanks !
    Looks perfect to me Cary! Customary razor sharp images with tritium colors bursting out vividly. That's a great trio of Thuds with gorgeous tails.
    We are all flotsam and jetsam being carried by a relentless tide towards our ultimate fate!

Page 1 of 18 1234567811 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •