Ultrafire DT-C6 Cree Q5 Driver Help

jamieb

Newly Enlightened
Hey

I bought an Ultrafire DT-C6 Cree Q5 off ebay, although it was listed as an Ultrafire K8. I didn't really know much back then, I just needed a decent torch for work that was rechargeable, and it was a good price, so I went for it.

Anyway, it works well and all, but I find the flashing modes VERY annoying, especially when I hand the torch to my manager to use and it almost gives him an epileptic attack!

So I started trying to work out the electronics of the thing, to see if I could modify it so that it only has the low, medium and high modes.

Since then, I've searched all sorts of things, all over, and signed up to this website. From what I've found, my driver seems to be very basic. However, I can't work out what this component/chip is, that is on the board. It's marked with the code CBB2f. I've searched all over and can't find any information on it. I've also tried to search for information on the driver itself, using the number that is printed on it, and to no avail. Additionally, I've searched for information about my Ultrafire DT-C6 (or K8?) and still not found anything. To be honest, I didn't think my torch was a genuine branded torch, but it seems as thought the model number has just been made up altogether! There doesn't seem to be much information for it at all.

Anyway, if anyone could provide any information that might lead me to figuring out how the driver works, that'd be great. Even if you could just suggest what the chip might be, and what it might do!

Thanks in advanced.

Jamie

zh-9T79BXokGSPiJG5RX05nZlemdQbR7qej_GaM6CXw%2Cm1Y7V3qe4QSlz8XGqHOHMDqiaaEDEiqiJNnc6udiRuY

F1BkLVFHSbn343RyoSPVgdN8tw1o0rvHLpbMDvzOHqw%2CVGM6LLXtv2SWLvsPIu4cQQmUzGeFntg5l77jKG-eXnE

aToD4zWYWj6iTxyC98Ijhu3j4YTit4TRE579hQnAaIU%2CyojegINC5TjAYzfmgwPKvHuh_qzj9VsNgpFa7xTZWGo

SIAuJ52njTJzYIQ04I1AcRUEb8F_Qy0AQqm6kJUZllE%2CNcHz5pyil0qLgpUmgmkDQjhh-IK_dVEu0b2TGqS-jkE

ZgBQFIKJlqGgij_wADD_FW_urB0Pz-ExSl0Ka-SR4A4%2C-jKNrBc7_u1XnvsY5XYFza2dr2BJGaIl_eNEmdlcE3Q

This is my driver. The chip in the middle is the one I'm not sure about. It has CBB2f printed on it. Also, to clarify, and the components as either side resistors? With a value of 220 ohm for the one on the left, and 471 ohm for the one on the right? And the component underneath, the brown one, is that a capacitor or resistor? And how can I find out the value of it?
zaMR_8izq9qbXuJV-W9NnJCsUQawj75Yu25P0IsbsXw%2CAV_l_djTI0EOKM54meweXLhXUDTjmfPXj-_R5UHylIo

Your help will be greatly appreciated!

jamieb

Newly Enlightened
I've figured out what I needed to know about the resistors and the capacitor, but I'm still struggling with the chip. I think it's a set of transistors, but I'm not sure. Can anyone confirm this?

Chupo_cro

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I have the flashlight with the driver containing the very same IC (CBB2f) plus two B772 transistors. I was hoping the flashlight might have the ATtiny based driver so I could reprogram the µC (or replace it with the another one in case of the locked original) but unfortunately the driver contained the completely unknown IC :-( It seems your post is the only place at least mentioning the chip in question :-/

My driver has 5 modes (hi, mid, lo, strobe & 'SOS') and it always switches on in the next mode (very annoying). I have a few more 5-mode flashlights and this one has the fastest strobe compared to the others I have. SOS doesn't work right - it blinks SOS-OS-OS... and far to fast. Here's the picture of my driver - can you, please, confirm if the driver is same as yours?

I hope someone is going to post here some info on CBB2f.

ps
You said: 'This is my driver.', so it seems you inserted the picture but I don't see any :-/

Cheers

jamieb

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
Thanks for replying to my post. I tried to post some pictures but they didn't seem to work. I had a look at your driver but it's not the same as mine, but it isn't far off. Yours looks a little bit more complicated/advanced than mine. Here's a link to a picture of mine: http://db.tt/bdorLZbE.

I bought my torch from eBay, and I'm starting to think that my driver is a cheap, basic, inefficient driver. I'm considering buying another. But if I could modify this one, so that it doesn't have the flashing modes, I'll be happy with it.

So can you confirm that the chip is some sort of programmable chip, in oppose to just a chip containing transistors for example? I'm trying to work out how the circuit works, to see if I can modify it to remove the flashing modes. But if you can confirm that it is a programmable chip, then I think that's the end if the road for me, unless I can replace or reprogram it.

By the way, mine also changes modes every time you turn it on, and I also find it very annoying!

I hope this is some sort of help to you, and I hope you can shed some light on my questions!

All the best.

Jamie

Chupo_cro

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
Thanks for replying to my post. I tried to post some pictures but they didn't seem to work. I had a look at your driver but it's not the same as mine, but it isn't far off. Yours looks a little bit more complicated/advanced than mine. Here's a link to a picture of mine: http://db.tt/bdorLZbE.

I bought my torch from eBay, and I'm starting to think that my driver is a cheap, basic, inefficient driver. I'm considering buying another. But if I could modify this one, so that it doesn't have the flashing modes, I'll be happy with it.

So can you confirm that the chip is some sort of programmable chip, in oppose to just a chip containing transistors for example? I'm trying to work out how the circuit works, to see if I can modify it to remove the flashing modes. But if you can confirm that it is a programmable chip, then I think that's the end if the road for me, unless I can replace or reprogram it.

By the way, mine also changes modes every time you turn it on, and I also find it very annoying!

I hope this is some sort of help to you, and I hope you can shed some light on my questions!

All the best.

Jamie

Unfortunately, I can't confirm anything about the chip - it might be some custom chip or even a factory preprogrammed Atmel or Microchip µC. I think the best way is to buy a new driver with known µC, I've bought this one, it's 1050 mA (3xAMC7135) driver + ATtiny13a as a controller. I've temporarily soldered the wires to the µC so I could upload my firmware (still in progress). A friend made me the brass ring - as an adapter so I can insert the 17 mm driver into the 20 mm housing. The ring has to be made of brass so the driver's outer ring (GND) can be soldered to the adapter (you can't solder the driver to the Al) and is textured so it makes a good contact to the original C8 aluminium driver housing.

Regards

Last edited: