What is a movie that you think is way overrated and why?

Frijid

Enlightened
for me, it's the movie apocalypse now, i think it's wayyyyyyyyyyyyy overrated.

don't get me wrong, i love war movies, but this is the only movie i EVER had to actually sit and force myself to watch. I don't even see what is so special about it. the only thing i found remotely enjoyable was the scenes with killgore. If they would have done the movie with just him it would have been watchable, but the scenes before and after him just drug on forever. i actually stopped watching it several times and had to force myself to continue. The scenes at the end with kurtz were boring and i had to fast forward them because of the poor audio, and way to go, by not adding captions for us people with hearing damage. idk i just got bad vibes from this movie, and i can't see anywhere where it gets the title of "best movie of all time" and it being on the top 100 list of greatest movies ever made. It reminded me of a john wayne movie, which also seem to drag on for hours, with a few seconds of action here and there. anyone else feel the same way after watching this?

FWIW, i have watched low budget war movies, like platoon leader, hell in the pacific, gung ho! (the 1943 version) and many more, and liked them a lot more than A N.

High Lander

Newly Enlightened
Any film with spiderman, superman or batman in it - they're all entirely pointless

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Most of the remakes are pointless, especially if the original was well done. In my opinion the sheer number of remakes these days show both a lack of imagination on the part of Hollywood, and also an unwillingness to take risks.

JCD

Enlightened
The Matrix.

I had to try several times before I could make it through the whole movie without falling asleep. I was finally able to see the ending only when I was able to pause the movie halfway through when it lulled me to sleep. I finished watching it the next day, only to realize that I could have left the movie playing and wouldn't have missed anything.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of the remakes are pointless, especially if the original was well done. In my opinion the sheer number of remakes these days show both a lack of imagination on the part of Hollywood, and also an unwillingness to take risks.
+1
The movies are all using the same plot twists. Bad guy turns out to be the supervisor, head of the CIA, top general.
They are using X rated dialog to bring in the just past teens.
They rely on too much CGI and 3D so they can out muscle the lower budget foreign films.

They are not taking any risks because the blockbusters cost $200 million to make requiring a minimum gross of $400 million to break even.
John Carter, Battleship, After Earth, and I think World War Z are bombs.

STEVEN SPIELBERG: The Movie Industry Is About To Implode.
http://www.businessinsider.com/spielberg-movie-industry-will-implode-2013-6

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
titanic. took me a year to watch, 4 tries till i got to the end, couldnt take more than 40minutes at a time. and i had to wait 3 years after it went to the movie theaters to start watching it.. just to get what the efff all the hoopla is about. didnt get it before, didnt get it during watching it, and still dont get why it is so awesome movie. but many seem to like it. i wont be bothered to watch it ever again.

avatar. if this is the "future" of the movies i dont want part of it.. the story is done so many times before.. nothing new in that. people come to conquer, one guy gets remorse as he learns the indians..errmm natives are not the bad guys but our guys are. simply its just a growth story/journey of a boy/man to become a hero, and then some fancy fighting and the "goodguys" won. yay. about the 3d technique.. i can live without it. so the movie was just entertaining but not the megahype worthy event.

many/most by woody allen.. they get acclaim and i dont get them.. the characters/actors always seem to annoy me, somehow the way they are filmed and edited distract me, and soon im distracted and lost on what was the plot of the movie.

hmm.. what else was kind of dissappointing movie.. citizen kane was one.. rocky horror picture show.. hmm there are tons of movies that i found overrated. so these will do for now, will add some if i get around to it.

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not going to defend Apocalypse Now, exactly.... but I wonder if some of its reputation is related to the time when it was created. IIRC, it was one of the first movies about Vietnam that wasn't trying to present it in a good light. Plus, it was pretty over the top by the standards of the day. To some degree, it set the standard for big explosions in movies, but almost any movie nowdays has a huge explosion every 5 minutes. Kinda takes the novelty out of it.

To me, though, Apocalypse Now had some memorable moments..... for me, it's "Never get off the boat!!"
Also, you can't forget the quote "I love the smell of napalm in the morning... it smells like .. victory".

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I'm not going to defend Apocalypse Now, exactly.... but I wonder if some of its reputation is related to the time when it was created. IIRC, it was one of the first movies about Vietnam that wasn't trying to present it in a good light. Plus, it was pretty over the top by the standards of the day. To some degree, it set the standard for big explosions in movies, but almost any movie nowdays has a huge explosion every 5 minutes. Kinda takes the novelty out of it."
I actually enjoyed Apocalypse Now for the most part but I also read Heart of Darkness. I think you need to read the book in this case to "get" the movie. And yes, I fully agree that a lot of its reputation had to do with when it was created. It may not hold its own now compared to the best movies, but it was unique in its time.

While we're talking about older movies which still hold their own, how about 2001:A Space Odyssey? I watched it a few weeks ago. The special effects still largely hold up, even 45 years later. Of course, their vision of space travel in 2001 sadly didn't, but then again it was based on things continuing to proceed at the pace of the Apollo space program. I suspect had we stayed on track, we would have had a Mars base by then, and indeed would be sending manned flights to Jupiter.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
many/most by woody allen.. they get acclaim and i dont get them.. the characters/actors always seem to annoy me, somehow the way they are filmed and edited distract me, and soon im distracted and lost on what was the plot of the movie.
Same here. Most of the movies he's in don't even seem to have a plot or point. Mostly, it seems to be the main character with some kind of unusual neurosis bumbling about in ways that are more annoying than funny. I actually have enough of that in real life among my relatives without needing to see movies made about it.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good thread topic, and I'd agree that Apocalypse Now is overrated. But my choice, ironically includes the son of the Apocalypse Now star Martin Sheen. I'm talking about Platoon. It won academy awards in the mid 80's as I recall, and although I think the supporting actors did a great job with the material they were handed, I think Charlie Sheen was clearly the poorest actor there! His character portrayal seemed forced, unrealistic and often juvenile. But for some reason he was applauded for it. Watch that movie when you see it, and you'll see what I mean. I liked Full Metal Jacket better....

Aside from Platoon, I thought the Tom Cruise movie Jerry Maguire was very overrated. Usually Tom Cruise does a great job, and I think he did a pretty good job here, but the movie just wasnt that interesting.

Also, anything with with Angelina Jolie or Sandra Bullock, like Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood(Geez Louise!)

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
At the time, I thought Platoon was decent enough, but not because of Sheen. Maybe the movie was impressive because it wasn't the usual glorification of war (or maybe I've just seen too many John Wayne movies?).

Full Metal Jacket is so much better than Platoon, and possibly Apocalyse Now, but not many directors can measure up to Stanley Kubrick. It also doesn't hurt to have R. Lee Ermey play the senior drill instructor! I just love the boot camp portion of F.M.J., and that could just be because I had some personal experience to relate it to. The second half of F.M.J. does strike me as a conventional nowadays, but that might be due to the familiarity with the themes.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Avatar - I know a lot of people liked it, but I have no idea why. It was mostly hype, on a worn-out plot concept, with the usual Hollywood biased sterotypes that help keep the world entrenched in cold war era thinking.

Remake of The Poseiden Adventure. The remake was just as incredibly bad as the original was good. I was really surprised.

Imon

Enlightened
Any film with spiderman, superman or batman in it - they're all entirely pointless

Agreed. Personally I dislike superhero movies but I understand why so many are made. Comic book hero movies are like cash magnets for movie studios and they keep pumping them out year after year.

Also, all of Tarantino's movies are vastly overrated with the possible exception of Pulp Fiction.

Frijid

Enlightened
Tarantino's movies are vastly overrated

i HATED that one movie of his, with the car chasing the girls around. thank god i had only seen it on a dvd someone gave me. if i had went to the theathers and seen it, i would probably demand my money back.

LOL platoon. i kinda liked that movie. maybe it's just tom berenger. I think he was made for war movies, loved his performance in the movie sniper. now billy zane on the other hand, i can't stand his acting. the only beef i have against platoon is when the guy was getting shot like 10 times and kept getting back up, get shot 2 times, fall down, get back up, run more, get shot again, etc.

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened
All of the remakes of the movies that were classics the first time. Footloose, Red Dawn, Karate kid, (there now shooting remakes of Dirty Dancing, Romancing the Stone, Point Break & The Bodyguard) Why not remake movies that failed but had a good plot, just use another title and fix the mistakes? Leave the good movies alone!!!!!