Nightcore EA1 Pseudo-review part 1

ponkan

Newly Enlightened
This will be my second flashlight review after my Fenix e50. First of all, buying the Nitecore ea1 was actually an accident since I only buy in-store and not online. The gear store which I buy my flashlights started to sell nitecores and jetbeams recently, much to my surprise and happiness! :party: The rest is history from this point as the Nitecore EA1 had caught my eye, more so when I found out that the AA powered EDC flashlight was capable of handling 14500. Moreover, the flashlight had a distinct operation and aesthetics. This only added to its already appealing specs and miniature size. I'll start with a few pictures to show this beauty.
My previous edc AA flashlight was the Fenix e11. It was a good and reliable single AA EDC
flashlight which only had two modes accessible by twisting the
head. The rear clicky switch, though not my preference in switch
placement, is dead simple and easy to access. Here comes the Nightcore EA1
with its unique electronic side switch featuring two buttons. I
won't delve into detail about the modes as a few CPF members had
already discussed it in great lengths and with better detail than I can hope to
type. Instead, I'll just show you more pictures.
Good news is, the flashlight has square-edge threads, so you don't have to worry about smooth screwing operation :sssh: They even gave it a good amount of lube. The next set of photos is a comparison with my Fenix e11. The difference in head size is apparent interesting enough, while the body tube diameter of the EA1 is, for all intensive purposes, the same as the Fenix E11. A tad thicker but not that much. Along with my flashlights are 3 different AA size battery. By the way, say hello to my new AW 14500 to give my EA1 an extra boost in the lumens and throw department. You'll see the difference in the brightness as compared to a normal Eneloop in part 2. For now, I will end this pseudo-review/photo gallery with a few more insights and opinions on this light. For one, I found out that the E series edc lights are notorious for not being able to meet the IPX-8 standard due to the switch board. I actually tested my unit by dunking it under water. I experienced no adverse effects nor had any bubbles rising up from the body. I guess I had a good unit then :thumbsup: Aside from that rumored issue that isn't an issue with mine, the light is a pretty good replacement for my fenix e11. Though a bit thick at the head area, the overall size is still miniscule.The size is nothing to sniff at as shown in its capabilities. The light is able to push out more lumens then you need from an EDC using the not-so-common 14500, though even with the typical NiMh, the manufacturer rates its turbo mode at 180 lumens, which is still good. The throw of this thing is also surprising, making me rethink of my expectations of how much throw an AA edc flashlight can do. Overall, the light is a great purchase for me, even with the fairly heavy price of $51 without tax. For the capabilities of such a small light considering that it runs off from the universally available AA battery, I'd say it was money well spent. Stay tuned for the 2nd part showing the beam shots. :devil:

Last edited: