ArmyTek        
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many of you just "play" with your flashlights?

Flashaholic*

Default How many of you just \"play\" with your flashlights?

I must admit it, most of the use my flashlights get is purely for my own entertainment. I'd bet that's the case with many of you. Of course, I do use my flashlights for practical reasons, as I'm sure you all do. But there's just something about shing my flashlight against the wall or ceiling that makes me feel like a little kid. I also love showing off my flashlights to friends and coworkers. I just love hearing someone say to me, "man, that's a bright little light!" when I whip out my Arc LS. What are some of your ways of playing with flashlights, or showing them off?

Unenlightened

Default Re: How many of you just

I played with my E2e-HA on the first set of batteries, but now I am trying to only use it when I really need it.

Flashaholic*

i do a fair amount of playing when i first get a light.. but then things calm down and they fall into their positions. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

Of course I am not speaking for the entire CPF Board Membership but I suspect a lot of the folks just collect flashlights as a hobby. Although there are plenty of LEO's that frequent this board and of course use their torches on a daily basis. Other folks that work in Maintenance or in Security could use a nice torch. For me, I use my lights every night probably three or four different times between running my dogs and fetching wood off the wood pile to stoke the wood burning stove. I live in a rural envirionment where the only ambient light comes from above, and if it is cloudy not even the stars factor in and it is really, really dark... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif[/img]

Unenlightened

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

My newest lights sit here, on my desk. I play with them, 'till something newer comes along, then they may end up anywhere in my home. I like to be able to grab one whenever and wherever I need it.

Crusty

Enlightened

I do random operational readyness checks to ensure my light are in good working order [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif[/img]. Dont want to get caught in a dark theatre without a working light.

Guilty.

Enlightened

I went and saw the Matrix last night [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img] and once the credits started to roll and people started to get up, I couldn't help it, I hit the ceiling 20+ feet up with my Arc AAA premium. Pretty impressive in such a large room, the beam was at least 10 feet across and distinctly bright. Cool. I guess my wife calls that 'playing with my lights again', I say it was an 'evaluational testing opportunity'. Now, getting to blast badguys in the grill with a burst of light to make them behave - I call THAT playing with your lights. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

I usually just use my Torchy when i need it, like a dark place, walking from the room to the kitchen, and other stuff. I would appreciate a larger torch that doesn't use the fumbly switch mechanism of the Dorcy (screw in and push button) and also a light that wasn't attached to my jangly keys.

The Mag w/ KPR112 stays in the car because of the Lithium batteries. I'm starting to sink deeper into the Flashaholic void! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

Mark, Don't think of it as sinking deeper into the flashaholic void, think of it as seeing the light [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]! And it just gets brighter and brighter.
    Sometimes as I get ready for bed, I will do so by flashlight. In a way, it's like seeing how practical a flashlight can be by using it in an impractical way. After all, I could just flip the room lights on, but what fun would that be? I remember reading a thread some time ago where someone once showered by flashlight. I may just try that sometime soon!

I, too, am guilty as charged. Sure, I occasionally use one to see what critter is banging around on the deck or wandering in the yard. And my little ones are great for looking into drawers, cabinets, under beds, and prowling the house. But I don't actually need them for work or just getting by. Mostly I just admire the little devils. I guess I'll always be a kid at heart.

Preventive maitenance checks and service requires me to load light, turn it on and giggle with delight once I light up the room.

I amuse easily...

-Jason

Flashaholic*

I guess a sub-question I have for all of you is, how many of you creatively make up reasons to "use" your flashlights, and what are those "reasons"? For me I sometimes will be almost unknowingly playing with one of my flashlights. One of my friends dogs goes nuts and chases the beam, so the flashlight acts like a "doggie remote control". Quite humorous.

Flashaholic*

Big Ed,
    I want one of those friends with a dog that will chase a beam of light. Is their a B&M store that carries them and where can I get the best price on line [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

Hoghead, Just go to one of those "dog parks" at dusk and play around with a flashlight that has a good tight beam. You may end up with a pack of dogs of your very own following you home! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

I'm in the creatively make make up reasons to use my light and I'm getting better at coming up with legitimate reasons to use it as well, practice makes perfect.

Flashaholic*

I think we're all past using night lights or even light switches, but you guys crack me up.
    Here are my favorites so far:
    sld: random operational readiness checks
    gadgetboy: evaluational testing opportunity
    flownsaj: preventive maintenance checks and service
    I'll check back later and see if anybody can top these.

[ QUOTE ]
    Big_Ed said:
    ...I remember reading a thread some time ago where someone once showered by flashlight. I may just try that...

[/ QUOTE ]
    That might have been me. I actually do that quite a lot. First time I suggested it to my girlfriend, she rolled her eyes and gave me that "you're getting weirder every day" look. But she joined me and afterword she admitted that it was pretty cool (and since then has actually asked me to bring the flashlight into the shower).

She still thinks my flashlight "hobby" is odd, though... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif[/img]

Aloha, iG

[ QUOTE ]
    Big_Ed said:
    One of my friends dogs goes nuts and chases the beam, so the flashlight acts like a "doggie remote control". Quite humorous.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Laser pointers work even better for that. Dogs, Cats, and especially little children will chase that glowing spot all over the place. It's really funny when they try to step on it and I turn the beam off, then when they lift their foot and don't see it they look at the bottom of their shoe. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif[/img]

Aloha, iG

Enlightened

I had a few people over to my home last night, whom had no idea I had more than the three flashlights I always carry [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]. I happened to have almost all of my collection sitting on my CPU desk, as I was taking some photos of them the night before. "You sure have a lot of flashlights" they said. "I guess" I said, and proceeded to show them what an LED was, and how lights can be blue, or even green or red too! They were impressed, especially after going outside with lights smaller than some of their M@Gs and shooting a beam until it ran out of room into the woods. That's my favorite way of playing with my lights.

[ QUOTE ]
    Big_Ed said:
    Hoghead, Just go to one of those "dog parks" at dusk and play around with a flashlight that has a good tight beam. You may end up with a pack of dogs of your very own following you home! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You really want to get a dog toy? Get a laser pointer. Lucy (our black Lab and primary therapist) goes NUTS.

Back on topic: Guilty! Yes, I enjoy my lights as a collection but several see daily duty at work, especially since I work nights. I EDC an M3, ARC LS and an L4. I'll toss the Z2 in an extra pocket well... 'cause I'm a flashaholic and for a backup "blinder."

I am getting in the habit of keeping a laser pointer with me as I can use it to see smoke in the room if we think one of the patients got a hold of cigarettes. (strict no smoking policy)

Rich

Flashaholic

Just this weekend:

Winterizing RV
    Changing home theater cables
    Misc fixit chores holding Arc LS in teeth
    Looking for keys in couch
    Covering cold frames in the yard
    Visiting the wood pile
    Walking at night
    Checking raccoons on compost pile
    Getting up at night without disturbing the wife
    Looking at sore throat
    Used Arc LS for binocular microscope light
    Plugging in computer cables under desk
    Looking under the seat in car
    Observing and photographing wildlife at night
    Etc., etc.

I lived for 8 years off the grid with only propane and Alladin kerosene lamps for light. Having a flashlight with me all the time was a necessity then. Now I live in town, but I have never stopped the EDC habit.

I recently discovered CPF and have gone photon crazy. I know I seem barking mad to those whose knowledge of flashlights is shrouded in deepest darkness. "You paid what? For a flashlight?" are words I hear all too often.

Oh well, I say, like many other simple creatures I am attracted to shiny objects. Last night I was up late seriously trying to invent a business reason to buy a Megaray.

Flashaholic*

I have always played with flashlights. I just got lucky and took up a career that required flashlights for inspections.Right now there are 10 lights sitting on my table with the puter.and its no different than knifsturbation. to just pick one up and reinspect that white wall over there one more time and maybe do some comparison beamshots too. Whats worse is I seem to have become a battery hoarder I have AAA, AA, D cells, 123cells,Nicad ,Nimh. lithium,alkaline, Where doee it all end? Don't ask me, I'm having too much fun. Flashaholics unaminous!

I tend to play with a few of them. The L4 gets a lot of use.

This week with the L4:
    --Picking up the remains of a cricket from the carpet in a corner
    --Look for things inside a storage cabinet
    --Looking inside my tool crib in the garage
    --Looking behind heaps of boxes for other boxes in the garage
    --Taking out the garbage
    --Walking to the MBE store through their dark parking lot
    --Looking for some things in a storage drawer instead of turning on the room lights (lit up the drawer better)
    --Getting stuff from another room w/o turning on lights
    --Reading titles on CDs and DVDs and Cassettes on some shelves that aren't well-illuminated

I do grab the L4 all the time.

Many of the flashlights are around and hopefully WON'T get used, but I have one at least in almost every room. They need to be checked every six months to a year. I keep them listed in a database (in Excel) with some cross-tabs as to battery type and location. I also update the last time I changed the batteries.

Cheers,

Richard

I grab it when looking inside cabinets or picking up the remains of a dead cricket o

Flashaholic

I don't really play with mine much. We had some fog the other night, that was cool, same with the rain night before last. I go through enough batteries at work. That alone keeps me from going through too many more. Of course I only have the one light.

Fernando

I'm mostly a collector. Don't play with them much. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    oldgrandpajack

Flashaholic

I'm guilty of playing with my lights at work(midnight shift cop), so is it actaually playing? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

in my line of work you're required to turn on at least two to three lights a night before going to bed to check for relative brightness, beamshot comparisons, and all around lighting effectiveness. i'm a "controlled environment lighting device field tester." its all part of the job.

Flashaholic*

My L4 has made me take hour long walks in the forest at night. This benefits my physical health (now there's a purpose that even non flashaholics understand [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] ) and it's fun to shine that nice beam of light up at the trees and into forest to look for animals.

I played a lot with my 123 powered lights, but thats expensive.
    In the meantime my BB400 Powered MM ist my toy of choice :-).

Very often I use a flashlight, where I could have switched on
    the ceiling lights as well, ...

Cheers
    Ralf

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast