How many of you just "play" with your flashlights?

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
How many of you just \"play\" with your flashlights?

I must admit it, most of the use my flashlights get is purely for my own entertainment. I'd bet that's the case with many of you. Of course, I do use my flashlights for practical reasons, as I'm sure you all do. But there's just something about shing my flashlight against the wall or ceiling that makes me feel like a little kid. I also love showing off my flashlights to friends and coworkers. I just love hearing someone say to me, "man, that's a bright little light!" when I whip out my Arc LS. What are some of your ways of playing with flashlights, or showing them off?

F22

Newly Enlightened
Re: How many of you just

I played with my E2e-HA on the first set of batteries, but now I am trying to only use it when I really need it.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

i do a fair amount of playing when i first get a light.. but then things calm down and they fall into their positions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast

Of course I am not speaking for the entire CPF Board Membership but I suspect a lot of the folks just collect flashlights as a hobby. Although there are plenty of LEO's that frequent this board and of course use their torches on a daily basis. Other folks that work in Maintenance or in Security could use a nice torch. For me, I use my lights every night probably three or four different times between running my dogs and fetching wood off the wood pile to stoke the wood burning stove. I live in a rural envirionment where the only ambient light comes from above, and if it is cloudy not even the stars factor in and it is really, really dark... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Crusty

Newly Enlightened

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

My newest lights sit here, on my desk. I play with them, 'till something newer comes along, then they may end up anywhere in my home. I like to be able to grab one whenever and wherever I need it.

Crusty

sld

Newly Enlightened

I do random operational readyness checks to ensure my light are in good working order /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif. Dont want to get caught in a dark theatre without a working light.

gadgetboy

Newly Enlightened

I went and saw the Matrix last night /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif and once the credits started to roll and people started to get up, I couldn't help it, I hit the ceiling 20+ feet up with my Arc AAA premium. Pretty impressive in such a large room, the beam was at least 10 feet across and distinctly bright. Cool. I guess my wife calls that 'playing with my lights again', I say it was an 'evaluational testing opportunity'. Now, getting to blast badguys in the grill with a burst of light to make them behave - I call THAT playing with your lights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

Mark_Larson

Enlightened

I usually just use my Torchy when i need it, like a dark place, walking from the room to the kitchen, and other stuff. I would appreciate a larger torch that doesn't use the fumbly switch mechanism of the Dorcy (screw in and push button) and also a light that wasn't attached to my jangly keys.

The Mag w/ KPR112 stays in the car because of the Lithium batteries. I'm starting to sink deeper into the Flashaholic void! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mark, Don't think of it as sinking deeper into the flashaholic void, think of it as seeing the light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif! And it just gets brighter and brighter.
Sometimes as I get ready for bed, I will do so by flashlight. In a way, it's like seeing how practical a flashlight can be by using it in an impractical way. After all, I could just flip the room lights on, but what fun would that be? I remember reading a thread some time ago where someone once showered by flashlight. I may just try that sometime soon!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

I, too, am guilty as charged. Sure, I occasionally use one to see what critter is banging around on the deck or wandering in the yard. And my little ones are great for looking into drawers, cabinets, under beds, and prowling the house. But I don't actually need them for work or just getting by. Mostly I just admire the little devils. I guess I'll always be a kid at heart.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast

Preventive maitenance checks and service requires me to load light, turn it on and giggle with delight once I light up the room.

I amuse easily...

-Jason

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast

I guess a sub-question I have for all of you is, how many of you creatively make up reasons to "use" your flashlights, and what are those "reasons"? For me I sometimes will be almost unknowingly playing with one of my flashlights. One of my friends dogs goes nuts and chases the beam, so the flashlight acts like a "doggie remote control". Quite humorous.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

Big Ed,
I want one of those friends with a dog that will chase a beam of light. Is their a B&M store that carries them and where can I get the best price on line /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hoghead, Just go to one of those "dog parks" at dusk and play around with a flashlight that has a good tight beam. You may end up with a pack of dogs of your very own following you home! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm in the creatively make make up reasons to use my light and I'm getting better at coming up with legitimate reasons to use it as well, practice makes perfect.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

I think we're all past using night lights or even light switches, but you guys crack me up.
Here are my favorites so far:
sld: random operational readiness checks
gadgetboy: evaluational testing opportunity
flownsaj: preventive maintenance checks and service
I'll check back later and see if anybody can top these.

illumiGeek

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Big_Ed said:
...I remember reading a thread some time ago where someone once showered by flashlight. I may just try that...

[/ QUOTE ]
That might have been me. I actually do that quite a lot. First time I suggested it to my girlfriend, she rolled her eyes and gave me that "you're getting weirder every day" look. But she joined me and afterword she admitted that it was pretty cool (and since then has actually asked me to bring the flashlight into the shower).

She still thinks my flashlight "hobby" is odd, though... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Aloha, iG

illumiGeek

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Big_Ed said:
One of my friends dogs goes nuts and chases the beam, so the flashlight acts like a "doggie remote control". Quite humorous.

[/ QUOTE ]
Laser pointers work even better for that. Dogs, Cats, and especially little children will chase that glowing spot all over the place. It's really funny when they try to step on it and I turn the beam off, then when they lift their foot and don't see it they look at the bottom of their shoe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Aloha, iG

MXDan

Newly Enlightened

I had a few people over to my home last night, whom had no idea I had more than the three flashlights I always carry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif. I happened to have almost all of my collection sitting on my CPU desk, as I was taking some photos of them the night before. "You sure have a lot of flashlights" they said. "I guess" I said, and proceeded to show them what an LED was, and how lights can be blue, or even green or red too! They were impressed, especially after going outside with lights smaller than some of their M@Gs and shooting a beam until it ran out of room into the woods. That's my favorite way of playing with my lights.