One-off custom for sale... Must See!! - SOLD

GTi474

Newly Enlightened
So... I had this really old (as in approaching 100 year old) steel sitting around. I knew it to be carbon steel as its use was such. Spark tested, heat treated and tested, all confirmed it to be really well wearing, sharp edge holding steel... I saw a knife another custom maker did on another forum using patina steel nearly as old, and retaining the patina. From the same source (an old dismantled factory) I also had old patina ridden copper. Add to that a nice chunk of spalted maple, and I decided a freestyle session around the grinder was in order. I wanted to retain as much of the old rust pitted and etched steel as possible, and make the copper match if possible. I also treated the spalted maple accordingly with time tested and true oil and finish wax application. The scales are bookmatched as well and all spalt lines match up around the knife...

The knife is plenty sturdy enough for everyday use and holds a nice edge. It is a nice complete convex grind in the traditional style. The patina on the copper is a chemical treatment as the old patina could not be retained during working and so forth. It should ensure that no offending green stuff appears however, and keep a nice black antique finish as well as properly maintained.

I will include a sheath of the specified buyer's design should it sell, however I should mention that a few have viewed the knife and are seriously considering purchase if their funds (and spouses...lol) will allow.

I am keeping in mind that the materials I have in this are basically free, and pricing it at $120 shipped with a sheath.
Oh, and the compass keychains in the background are made by my wife for $15 each out of top quality heavy leather...

And yes, that is a copper maratac in the background for those with keen enough eyes to spot it... lol.

7b3720af3d7f0685d51c2b1513278d08.jpg

ced0ceb4ccf88987fb7a621488d7b79e.jpg

abcdaa54082ffbba0fd821c3e91567c2.jpg

99f7152f336951bfc0b3dd2f4e056c15.jpg

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Re: One-off custom for sale... Must See!!

Beautiful knife! I must have you make me something one of these days, I just don't know what. Keep up the good work! :twothumbs:

GTi474

Newly Enlightened

Thank you. I am always glad to brainstorm, send sketches back and forth and really hone in on what my customer wants... I would like for that to continue to be my bread and butter.
And as always, goes for this knife too, my guarantee stands behind all my custom knives... This one may stray a little bit further onto the looker side than most of my stuff, but it is still a real cutter...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

GTi474

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the compliment. It is actually, as of today, sold... I will edit the thread title as soon as i make it to a real computer... Thank you all for looking and please consider me for any custom work you need done. I can make knives, tools, sheaths, leather goods, etc. to suit any need and give a special price to my CPF brothers and sisters...
Cheers!

AaronG

Enlightened

That looks amazing. Great work on matching the handle scales and maintaining the blade patina. Can I ask what the selling price was?

GTi474

Newly Enlightened

It was $120 with a sheath.

Just Jim

Newly Enlightened

Great looking knife. Wish I had seen it first :).

Jim

GTi474

Newly Enlightened

Thanks. I am working on a few commissions but will post some other stuff soon I hope. I was particularly proud of this one, my finish on the spalted maple was traditional and not a stabilized wood. It garnered some attention from Woodworking.com for the final finish. They picked it up off of pintrest apparently...
Thanks again. And just putting it out there again. I do custom commissions as well from design input from my customers. All of my blades are hand made in their entirety by me alone, no jigs, no patterns, no computers and no prefabbed parts... I also do all of my own leatherwork... (and can do sheaths for any knife you may have that needs one and you will find my prices are very competitive...)

Silgt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Would love to take both the compass if they are still available. Let me know thanks

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Firenor

Newly Enlightened

That is truly one beautiful piece of art! I love how you do the setup for the photography aswell, makes my imagination go bananas =)