most comfortable work boots?

Gravediggaz

Newly Enlightened
hey guys

in need of some good work boots....as I'm always on my feet looking for the most comfortable work boots out there?

any suggestions?

thanks

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me it's always been Red Wings, I've got a pair that are almost worn out I wear them so much.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree, you can't go wrong with Redwings, worth every penny.

Next would be Timberland Pro, I have a pair of their PitBoss 6" that have seen a year and a half of shop service and look like they can handle another few years.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for the Timberland Pro boots. The soles wear quicker than some of the other boots but they have been the best for my feet. Redwing makes excellent boots but they didn't fit me as well.

I always tell people when they are shopping for boots that what works well for someone else may not work well for them. The most important thing is to get a pair that feels right on YOUR feet.

Lucciola

Enlightened
If you are prepared to pay some serious money I can highly recommend Haix boots. For example the Airpower X1 is an excellent boot. Personally I own an Airpower R91 which is a bit wider than the X1 and therefore fits my feet a bit better.

Fresh Light

Enlightened
If you are prepared to pay some serious money I can highly recommend Haix boots. For example the Airpower X1 is an excellent boot. Personally I own an Airpower R91 which is a bit wider than the X1 and therefore fits my feet a bit better.
I'm going to fwd your suggestion to my brother. He works on his feet quite a bit and gets a 200.00 annual allowance for footware so he doesn't mind spending a little extra to get good boots. I think his last pair was a set of Keens, but their new ones recently are made in China so he was going to look for a new brand.

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
Most comfortable boots I ever had were a pair of Havana Joe's. Bought 'em in 1998, re-soled in 2009, retired in 2010.
I wore them to work, hiking, backpacking, and just walking about. On a 10 mile hike with 60 lb pack, had only minor hot spots spots.
My friends with dedicated hiking boots (timberland, both) and much lighter packs (45 and 30 lbs) had blisters.
Now, I get Red Wings through work. They're not bad, but just can't compete with (my memory of) those Joes.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my Steel Blue boots - I'm on my 3rd or 4thpair now.
They are my only shoes, I wear them for everything, and typically get 18 months out of a pair of soles, when they are worn down smooth they become my "crappy jobs" pair(for mowing the lawn, painting, concreting etc when I don't want to trash my good boots) and i buy a new pair for day to day wear.

Im currently wearing the Tindall model (8" security/combat boot style, with side zip and composite safety toe)
And I have worn Argyles in the past (6" typical workboot style, with a steel safety toe)

They also have a warehouse near me, and I believe they are an Aussie company (although the boots are made offshore)

Here is the model I am wearing
http://www.steelblue.com.au/steel-blue-footwear/industrial-construction/tindal/

I will be replacing them with the same again when I wear them out, and I can claim them on tax, so could buy a new pair every year (but don't see the need, they last much longer than that)

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

As long as there's no heel lift, even mediocre boots can feel like a million bucks w/ the right arch support insert.
They also act as suspension to take the load off..

The Red sof sole work best for me.

http://www.sofsole.com/mens/arch

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I've been using the Red Wing 963's for years - by far the most comfortable Red Wings I've used. One of their more expensive boots, but well worth every penny.

This particular model uses a high-end insole that not only is extremely comfortable but maintains that level of comfort over many years.

http://www.redwingsafety.com/safety-boot/963-safe-us/963-red-wing-mens-6-inch-boot-brown

After I wear the first set of Vibram soles out, I get the steel toe removed during the resoling, then use them for hunting/hiking boots. My last elk hunt was ~11 hours a day for ~6-7 days straight, and my feet were perfectly comfortable the whole time.

Edit: Actually, these 963's don't look like they are the ones with the steel toes; Red Wing has two similar models, one with the steel toes & one without.

Last edited:

OCD

Enlightened
another +1 for Timberland Pro. I have a pair of Steel Trax 6 Inch" that have reinforced rubber toes (to keep from wearing through to the steel toe). I prefer an 8" boot, but I found these and liked them enought to give them a try.

wedlpine

Enlightened
I have a pair of Red Wings and they are built like a tank and will probably last a long time. But for comfort, I like a nice pair of Doc Martens.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Redwings. I have two pairs, one is insulated and one is not, which I rotate for winter/summer use. Very comfortable. Just had the uninsulated pair re-soled by Redwing, they do a good job.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been buying Rocky brand boots since like 1989, and they made fantastic boots then and stayed that way til a few years ago, when it kinda seems that maybe the quality of some of their boots slipped a little, although i still buy them. I am wearing a pair I bought a year ago that I have abused at work, getting them wet, often covered in mud, or chemicals. They get scratched up, and I put countless miles on them because I do a lot of walking while working, so they'll need replacing in a few months or sooner. But, they cost just $119, which is fairly cheap compared with other brands . I also have a pair of Rocky winter hunting boots I bought for mid winter backpacking, which have barely been worn, and I paid around $130 for them and they are extemely warm and comfortable.

We have a local Red Wing shoe store, and I went in over a year ago, when I eventually bought the Rockys I'm wearing now, and the Red Wings fell under 2 categories: the American made and the Asian made ones. What blew me away was that the Asian/Chinese produced Red Wing work boots started at like $179 and ended at around $259, while the American made ones started at around $279 and went up to about $389!

I don't know how good they are, because I left the store when I saw those prices. I just can't see paying $200 for Chinese made boots or $300+ for American boots unless they were custom fitted and made by hand or something. I have little doubt that they are great boots, and I'd certainly try them out if they weren't so expensive. but I'm just going to destroy them in fairly short order while working, and I just can't justify destroying $300 boots. I'd be guilt ridden!