Smallest 100+ Lumen Luxeon AA or AAA flashlight...

roguesw

Enlightened
In terms of Luxeon, 100+ Lumens means 5Watters from V,W and X bins. AA or AAA NiMh probably means custom body, something like the mclux 3x123 body, which allows you to run 2 AA, the mclux pr head is a great host for the 5W and you probably be running a BadBoy step up convertor board.
If portability is the main priority, then the mclux package is where you can start building from.
Anyone else can think of another flashlight host that will house a 5W and be small form package?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
it's possible to machine a dcell mag body so that it's bored out a little bit (this isn't necessarily necessary, but depends on your batteries), and chop the top off under teh switch and rethread it. then put a tailswitch in the tailcap, and use a bb750 from your 4 nihm batteries.
that would produce a very short flashlight, but still as wide as the normal mag.
not small enough for edc use i'm afraid /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps 2 Lithium 3v AA's with a BB driver?
Or 2 3.7v lithium ion's. (I know not AA, but close to the size).

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Luxeon III TWAK running at 1 amp,
I think they are rated at 90 lumens at one amp, if you want to make it seem brighter...run the Fraen low profile optics. Get a downboy 1000mA regulator and wire 4 AA NiMH batteries in the light. It should kick out of regulation at a little less that one volt per cell so it will protect the NiMH batteries. Load it up with alkalines for 6 volts and maybe increase the run time.
It will be very entertaining when the UWAK or VWAK Luxeon III's come out...time to build a 2D Mag again with hotlips heatsinks, BB750 and custom glass.
Will 90 lumens be enough?

roguesw

Enlightened
The LIII is an upgraded 1watter, it is rated to perform at 700mA, whereas the original 1watt is rated at 350mA? somebody please correct me if these numbers are wrong. A lot of the guys have observed that basically the LuxIII are close to the higher rank 1watt e.g S and R ranks and is able to handle more current. So the LuxIII has only 1 die, whereas the 5watters have 4 dies.
If you go the LuxIII way, something like a TWAK bin is probably what you wanna get, its the brightest of the LuxIII available at the moment.
Yes the LuxIII are cheaper than the 5watters at the moment.
Electrolumens have both lux3 and 5watters for sale
http://www.king-cart.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?store=elektrolumens
the luxIII is retailing at 13.00 and 5watts at 29.99.
i dont know what binning they are.
So have you thought about ur host for this pocket rocket?
hope this helps
Des

roguesw

Enlightened
The other option could be to remove the luxeon from its standard heatsink and use a bigger aluminium heatsink, like the esinks sold at the sandwich shoppe. It will provide more mass to transfer heat.
This is sounding like an interesting build, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif