Got my PT Surge !

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love this site.. I've been spending big bucks for the Surefire/Streamlight CR123 lights with their short/expensive run times. I still carry my Scorpion/6P SF with my handgun carry permit, but the Surge blows all of them away for $ 25 and a $ 3.50 battery change. 3-5 hours run time. Ahhhh. We live on a 100 acre place, and I am constantly out tending to chores and basic security problems. The Surge has to take the performance/price prize.

I shot the Surge with my Streamlight Ultra Stinger tonight. Not bad for the Surge; the US puts out more candle power, but the Surge has a very large hot spot, with very useable side spill. Going to order another (or two) from Bright Guy. Put on a rubber bicycle tube on the Surge to improve one thing; it's slippery

An aside, I received a DOA Surge from them;, they promptly replaced it, no problems, no additional shipping charges.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
nice review. the surge gets great reviews here and i still don't have one.
icon3.gif
twak.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think as far as AA based incandescents, the Surge is definately a light that should be owned by any flashaholic...

It's the brightest AA based incandescent I've seen so far...

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
And I didn't mention it's got a great spot/flood adjustment that actually works well. Great clean distribution at any adjustment. Durn, I think I'll get two more............ One for the Cherokee, wife's car, house, Hmmmmmmmm

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every since I got my 1st Surge about a year ago, I've pushed the Surge as the single best all around utility light on the market. If I were restricted to having only one light, this would be it. Besides, it's probably all I'ld need in the padded room I'ld be in after you took all my other lights. :>) TX

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
yup.

will be getting one...as soon as i recover from the 3 tec-40's and attitude i just bought...

Bob

ps how would you describe the beam? tight? flood? nice combo of the two?

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beam is a nice combo of the two. Textured, and a great throw. Even if you keep it in its tightest spot, there's still ample light spill on its sides for you to go on a hike at night with good peripheral spill light/vision...

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered three Surge's, in Neon Green, yesterday at lowprice4u . This guy has all the Surge colors, green, yellow, red, blue, black and granite. It also seems he has every Princeton Tec made. I ordered via telephone and the owner seemed like a nice guy. I'll let everyone know about the delivery speed when I get my hands on them.
Oh yeah. $81.04 delivered.
wink.gif

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by radellaf:
The Surge work OK with Li AAs?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I wouldn't recommend it, It would be very bright for a very short time.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
No... DO NOT put Lithium AAs into a Surge. I did it once (mistakenly), and it was okay, but after reading what it did to others' Surges, you don't want to chance it.

It's driving 8 batteries, but 4x4 in parellel of each other. So if you stick 8 Li-AAs in there (6.8Vx2), you'll explode the bulb or melt the reflector, or both...

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
It does run nicely on NiMH though. Only slightly dimmer than alkalines. You'ld have to do a side-by-side to notice the difference. TX

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder why Botach doesn't have surges but has almost all of the other PT's.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
I was going to buy a Surge, but was told that the UK 4L had a tighter beam. Since my purpose of this light is to look at things that are far away I went with the UK 4L.

After reading about the Surge, I may have to break down and get one of those too.

How do the two compare?

Tom

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your UK uses a 5.5 watt bulb; the Surge has a 7.5 watter. The closest thing I have to your light is a Streamlight 4AA Xenon (fine light); the Surge obliterates it in both lumens and throw.

My Surge is brighter than my Surefire 9P.