You join an expedition to retrieve data tapes from deep within Chernobyl's catacombs

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
2-days. It's not a survival test so you decide to take only two lights and a fist full of batteries.

What two lights are you taking? :D

Model:

1ttrgz.jpg

18hm5f.jpg

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Re: You join an expedition to retrieve data tapes deep within the Chernobyl catacombs

No lengthy distances but plenty of broad areas, sounds like a field day for the SC600. Also, I'd better get to see the Elephant's Foot.

fyrstormer

Banned
Re: You join an expedition to retrieve data tapes deep within the Chernobyl catacombs

I would bring the same lights I always do when I go to work, because I would be operating a robot from the safety of a trailer stationed outside the sarcophagus. Why? Because death from radiation poisoning isn't my style.

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think 20,000 years before it was realistically safe to explore. But just for fun...

It's going to be pretty dark above, pitch black underneath. I'd probably sigh and put aside my SureFire C2 quad Nichia 219 and opt for the 70 lumen Malkoff M61WLL with its incandescent like tint. ZebraLight H51C Hi Cri headlamp constant on medium. All AA's.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast

That place would be sooooooooooooooo totally HAUNTED, and radioactive.

That being said,and if it was safe.....

Fenix TK75 for the big areas, and Nitecore EC1 for EDC use

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast

Did you see the movie Chernobyl Diaries? Might pick it up. Looks like a lot of darkness action. :D

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've seen the preview for Chernobyl Diaries, creeped me out :p

Slazmo

Enlightened

Would like to explore the city - wouldnt be too hard with what I have... Darker the better with the creep factor. My little Inova X1 would be used well and the Ea4 for larger areas - wouldnt see why you would need much more...

Oh thats right the roaming packs of dogs and zombie earthworms - forgot about those...

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's a trick question. You don't need a light, the place glows!!!

Wow ledmitter_nil, you sure have a lot of time on your hands. Thats a really cool model!

kelmo

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's a model photograph from the Chernobyl museum.

fyrstormer

Banned

It's a trick question. You don't need a light, the place glows!!!

Wow ledmitter_nil, you sure have a lot of time on your hands. Thats a really cool model!

kelmo
Good point. All you'd really need is a bunch of spray-cans of glow-in-the-dark paint, and the hard ionizing radiation would do the rest.

fyrstormer

Banned

I think 20,000 years before it was realistically safe to explore. But just for fun...

It's going to be pretty dark above, pitch black underneath. I'd probably sigh and put aside my SureFire C2 quad Nichia 219 and opt for the 70 lumen Malkoff M61WLL with its incandescent like tint. ZebraLight H51C Hi Cri headlamp constant on medium. All AA's.
It won't be around that long. My dad's company has (part of) a contract to build a robot-operated dismantlement facility that will roll over the top of the old sarcophagus, take apart everything that can be removed, pack it into concrete canisters, and fill the basement with concrete to seal it for all time.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast

My Surefire C2 with M61L 219, and Surefire M6 with MN20 for when I needed to reach out.

T45

Enlightened

Hmmm....this expedition would require one light for possible long to mid range throw and a light for work nearby...

1) Sunwayman M20A and Eagletac D25A2

or

2) Surefire M3 hosting a Malkoff LD10 and a Sunwayman M20C.

or

3) Surefire 6P with a Malkoff M61LL and a Foursevens 123 mini.

or

4) Surefire 9P hosting a Malkoff M31L running on 2 AA Lithiums and a Maratac AA

I would probably go with something from 1 & 4....

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would like a geiger counter and a baikal o/u shotgun. Wont last long without one (youll know that if you have played S.T.A.L.K.E.R.) The really bad mutants comes out at night. hehe :)

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast

^^^^ Odd that when it comes to REAL WORK needing to be done or for survival scenarios I find myself opting for the Malkoff M61WLL with AA's and not my other lights that cost 5X more and are 20X brighter. :D

The fact of the matter is, if you're constantly absorbed thinking about your lights battery life and heat management issues then it's a pretty significant distraction. If I'm concentrating on exploration or an investigation then the Malkoff is pretty much "set it and forget it" without needing much further diligence. Even its single mode attribute reinforces this - instead of standing there running through your psychological balance sheets, you're getting the work done. :D

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast

So true. And thats one of the reasons i usually bring "dim" lights up mountian on fishing trips etc. The 219 m61llll is really nice on 2xaa's. Not too bright, not too dim, no worries. It's in my "goldielock zone" so i dont need lots of modes :) My zebra h51fc is always close by (it's my main light on trips.)
Also like the edc+ x60l. High mode is 1,5 amps on a warm xm-l. Plenty bright with nothing to worry about (usually in my backpack in case i need more punch than the zebra can provide). Even theese "dim" lights can be too mutch, and totally destroy my nightvision for the next 1/2 hour if i run them too hard.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nuclear power plants (with no power) are like concrete caves. Chernobyl inside the sarcophagus is more so a dark pit. One thing I noticed is that there are a lot of holes to fall in. That was my main worry last time I was in a similar building: We actually called the place "Super Death Plummet." Several types of machine and tankage are multifloor affairs, and once damaged they leave unguarded holes in the floor. My main concern would be having enough floody lighting to see my surroundings, enough runtime to make it in and out, and a more-throwy light to see distant 'landmarks.' Line of sight is usually short in nuclear plants, though. You'd want maps, whatever photos and notes from the fire event, protective equipment, and a death wish.

Edit: Oh, and headlamps are nice. Very nice. After all, those data tapes aren't going to carry themselves!

Last edited:

T45

Enlightened

Hmmm...then it's the Surefire 9P with a Malkoff M31L running on 2 Lithium AAs and the Eagletac D25A2....or the Sunwayman M20A. Dang! Almost had a decision there :)