3 reasons why the M17R will be the last Led Lenser I will ever buy.......

utlgoa

Enlightened
1. Over Priced.

2. Not bright enough.

3. Tough time finding the "on button" by feel due to the selector ring.

Other than the impressive charging system and battery, the M17R is no where near as economical as the Coast HP550 or HP17 (as long as you use rechargeable batteries).

Save your money.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I read your thread title, I thought you meant "This light is so incredibly good, once I buy this, I'll never need to buy a light again!" :)

If it were $100 cheaper, I'd be all over it. If I've learned one thing, it is that dropping multiple cells out of lights, checking them on a multimeter, taking them on and off chargers, etc. just isn't something I do. I like single 18650 lights, but rarely have the patience to play with multiple cells in series, of any chemistry.

The more practical and simpler P17R, while not nearly as bright, has excellent specified runtimes in both modes.

I would like to know:

1) What brand and capacity of LiFePO4 cells are being used in both these lights
2) What emitter is being used
3) Whether the P17R maintains constant output, as the M17R allows the user to choose between long tapering runtime or constant current...I don't see that feature enumerated on the list of features on the P17R

utlgoa

Enlightened
The retail price for the M17R is $400.00. I bought mine for $269.00 at moontrail, but have since seen it priced for $259.00 elsewhere. My problem with the M17R is there was no "WOW Factor" when I first turned it on. This is most likely due to my previously owning the Coast HP550 and HP17. Both were as bright or brighter, and could be purchased for under $65.00 (a piece). Luckily Moontrail offers a 30 day money back return policy.

Last edited:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
3) Whether the P17R maintains constant output, as the M17R allows the user to choose between long tapering runtime or constant current...I don't see that feature enumerated on the list of features on the P17R

The P17R is rated by ANSI lumens, so that "Runtime" ends when the output drops below 10% of initial output. Expect 100 lumens after an hour or two.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) If you open this video and pause at 46 seconds and change,
you can see that two individual LiFePO4 cells are shrink wrapped together, with a specified voltage of 6.4v (3.2v per cell by two).

The capacity in mAh zips by too fast for me to see.

EDIT: I used my cursor keys to move frame by frame, but the person who shot the video cut in after the part of the battery with the printed capacity slid into the tube.

2) At 1:45 seconds we get a graphical depiction of the runtime curve; as stated in text form, the chart shows the choice between an efficient curve with gradual decline, or the less efficient but flatter runtime curve.

The constant current curve does show some decline, so it is not ruler flat. However, when taken over a period of hours, even a 20% decline would not be noticeable.

I do wish we had some units on the x axis...

Link

Last edited:

peterkin101

Newly Enlightened
I've bought one of these and couldn't disagree more! And for the following reasons:

1) Excellent beam and at up to 850 Lumens, how much brighter do you want it?

2) REVOLUTIONARY battery technology which to me is working exactly as it should do so far.
And it gives an accurate idea of available capacity.

3) Very good build quality. Feels lightweight but strong.

4) Excellent components such as the charging unit. No feeble micro USB connection
Everything is nice and substantially made.

3) A fair old cost but is reflected in the quality and technology on offer. We would all like to see
everything we buy half the price its sold at. Only the end user can determine if a product is
good value for money.

For me the M17R is probably the very last torch of its size I'll ever need.

And on this occasion for the right reasons.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
4) Excellent components such as the charging unit. No feeble micro USB connection

Micro USB is certainly not the most robust connector out there. But it has the advantage that it is universal. This means that you can use any one of the plethora of wall chargers, car chargers, and solar chargers to charge the light. This comes in VERY handy when you are out and about. You can easily charge it at a restaurant with the same charger you use for your phone. You can charge it in your car on trips. Or you can use a solar charger on camping trips. And you don't have to carry around a charger unit. Even if the charger unit is more robust than a micro USB charger, it is MUCH less convenient to use when you are away from home.

Last edited:

InspectHerGadget

Enlightened
I think Lumens always attract buyers like moths to a light!

That is to say, there is only so much wow in an 850 Lumen torch but it is still very good lighting. It is a tool after all and the specifications are normally reasonably accurate and there are reviews to read before you buy something.

I guess if you want wow there are some big beasts out there pumping out 3500 Lumens and more, you just need more cells and more money and maybe a reason for a torch with a 500m+ reach.

WOW.

seadial

Newly Enlightened
I purchased a LED LENSER M17R recently and instead received a P17R as the M17R has just been discontinued. This latest (2018) edition of the P17R is virtually the same as the M17R in terms of its operating features except the output has increased to 1000 lumens. Unfortunately the ABS carry box that the M17R was supplied with does not come with the P17R, however the dealer said that he would see if he could obtain a carry case for me particularly because I had paid for one when ordering the M17R. I am still waiting on a genuine LED LENSER carry case, however there may be alternative cases from other suppliers.