A simple guide to building flashlights?

Soulero

Newly Enlightened
Really sorry if this has been asked and/or answered before. I used the search, I promise!

Basically, I'm wondering if there's a centralized "how to build a flashlight" thread of sorts. Similar to the "I want to build a laser" thread at the Laser Pointer Forums. I'm already pretty experienced with building lasers, and from taking apart flashlights and the internet, I'm guessing flashlights are very similar. The problem is, I don't really know where to start. Should I just go buy a bunch of parts and hope for the best (that usually works with lasers :sssh:) or is there a nifty guide I can look at?

What I want to build specifically is a dual (inline) or triple (side by side) 18650 ~2500 lumen thrower with a diffuser cap. I believe I should be able to do this with a 3x XM-L2 setup (not sure about the diffuser cap, I might have to make a custom one for that...?). However, I have no idea what parts to get or how to install them properly. Anyone willing to help a newbie out? :wave:

Last edited:

Tiresius

Enlightened
Do you have a host to put this setup in? That's the first thing anyone else is going to ask before pointing you to the right direction. You'll have to measure out the host's dimensions so you can buy the right sized driver and MPCB. If you've got the tools and machine readily available, I'd recommend making your own custom parts/light to match your choice of reflector/lens.

Soulero

Newly Enlightened
Do you have a host to put this setup in? That's the first thing anyone else is going to ask before pointing you to the right direction. You'll have to measure out the host's dimensions so you can buy the right sized driver and MPCB. If you've got the tools and machine readily available, I'd recommend making your own custom parts/light to match your choice of reflector/lens.

I don't have a host that will fit 3 XM-L2's, but I have one that will fit one. However, I'm going to stick a laser in it, so I'll need a new host anyway. I'll poke around and try to find a bare host designed for 3 XM-L's or XM-L 2's. I don't really have any tools for making my own parts, just a solder gun to wire everything up with.

EDIT: This host kit should do the trick, right? http://www.cnqualitygoods.com/goods.php?id=1178

Last edited:

Tiresius

Enlightened
I'm not good with adding laser pointers onto the light. You'd have to drill a hole in the reflector somewhere to mount the laser. Again, I have no idea how to power a laser pointer.